Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sending money from UK to US question.

Sending money from UK to US question.

Old Sep 20th 2018, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending money from UK to US question.

My elderly and not internet savvy parents need to send some money (about 1,500 GBP) from the UK to me, here in USA. They refuse to trust or attempt anything online and are insisting on using something called BACS. I've never heard of it but investigation tells me it is a UK/Euro only thing.
Any suggestions about how they can walk up to a high st bank (they have an account with one of them) with their piggy-bank full of pennies and ask them to send it to a US bank account without paying exorbitant fees on either side? (Minus the piggy-bank)
Thanks all.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending money from UK to US question.

They should go into their bank with the following info:

Amount and currency
Name and address of beneficiary
US Bank Name, address, account number and SWIFT (You can obtain the SWIFT by contacting your US bank.

The Nat West charge £22 4 working days or £30 1-2 working days

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 20th 2018 at 10:24 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you open a gbp bank account with transferwise.com. This will give you a UK sort code and account number. You can then convert the money as you wish. And your parents can make a GBP BACS payment.

Easy
Old Sep 21st 2018, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Rotorhead is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope they are going to give you extra due to the money you will lose by doing it the old fashioned way. Transferwise is definitely the best and most cost effective way of sending money these days. Can't they put it in your UK bank account and then you send it, or have you closed all your Brit accounts?
Old Sep 21st 2018, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
I suggest you open a gbp bank account with transferwise.com. This will give you a UK sort code and account number. You can then convert the money as you wish. And your parents can make a GBP BACS payment.

Easy
+1 The Transferwise Borderless Account solves the problem.

https://transferwise.com/us/borderless/
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you need to know the risks of transferwise read this article

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...bank-with.html
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
If you need to know the risks of transferwise read this article

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...bank-with.html
My husband will only transfer from our UK bank account to our Canadian or US bank accounts. He will not use transferwise/xe etc etc.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Seahorse1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe make a call to their bank in the UK and talk to the manager or advisor and ask that they sit down and talk to your parents about their concerns. They will probably take their local branch manager seriously rather than a family member