Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

cell phone service in EU?

cell phone service in EU?

Old May 28th 2017, 4:26 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default cell phone service in EU?

Middle child will be travelling around Europe for 6 weeks. We have a t-mobile service here in the USA which supposedly gives data coverage in the EU however, we know from last year that it's patchy and usually 3g. Calls cost 20cents a minute but that's not such a big issue since he'll mostly use FB or whatsapp to call friends and his poor worrying mum.
Any suggestions for alternatiives would be appreciated.
TIA
worried mum of wandering teen.
Old May 28th 2017, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cell phone service in EU?

I've been looking into the same thing recently, ahead of a mountaineering trip to Switzerland/France/Italy in September. There are a few options:

* If by any chance, the trip is starting in France, look up Orange Holiday - https://boutique.orange.fr/mobile/ca...ge-holiday-eng - mostly 4G coverage where available and the data allowance is quite generous.

* If starting (or even transferring) in the UK, as roaming charges are largely scrapped from next month, you could get a pre-paid SIM for pretty much any of the providers and use that allowance across the EU zone.

I've personally ordered a Three UK PAYG sim which includes the Feel at Home which lets one use their UK allowance across multiple countries including most in the UK.. downside is that it's largely 3G but as I'm not intending to stream video, that's not really a huge issue.