Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cars not repaired after accident

Cars not repaired after accident

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cars not repaired after accident

One of our cars had a small ding on the front, the other driver's insurance was great paid up without any issue and gave us a rental. The bodyshop told me that 46% of people do not repair their cars after an accident just do the bare minumum to make it roadworthy and pocket the rest. Due to this some not all companies were giving very low repair estimates / payouts.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:33 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars not repaired after accident

Not where I live, unless you're a college student.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:41 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
One of our cars had a small ding on the front, the other driver's insurance was great paid up without any issue and gave us a rental. The bodyshop told me that 46% of people do not repair their cars after an accident just do the bare minumum to make it roadworthy and pocket the rest. Due to this some not all companies were giving very low repair estimates / payouts.
Yes.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Yes.
Agree completely.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Yes.
I got to this thread too late. I was going to suggest that Otto contact you for a detailed tutorial on the matter
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:18 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I got to this thread too late. I was going to suggest that Otto contact you for a detailed tutorial on the matter
Oddly enough, I found that driving with only one headlight for the better part of a year was not as much of an impediment as I thought it would be.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Most of the insurance companies make the check directly payable to the auto body shop. A reputable body shop will not give you any of the money and insurance companies eventually will not accept estimates from unreputable body shops.

I suspect he is giving you a figure of 45% (suspect it is much lower) so that he can get your business and when the insurance companies realize what he is doing that, he'll close down and open under a different name.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Most of the insurance companies make the check directly payable to the auto body shop. A reputable body shop will not give you any of the money and insurance companies eventually will not accept estimates from unreputable body shops.
I think some of this might depend on the state.

Here in MA, insurance companies have to provide you with a list of pre-approved body shops they will deal with, and if you use one, you don't worry about estimates as they deal direct and pay them direct.

You are also able to go to anyone you like, but if you use someone not on the list, the insurance company will only send you a cheque for the estimate of the job that the independent appraiser you first took the car too lists. He's the chap that'll say if it's a right off or not and you can see which ever inspector you like.

So in that case, if you get the minimum work done, you could be quids in.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Most insurance policies are for guaranteed repair or replacement. The policy holder is given the option of either taking the cash or say "repair it." There are times where the owner simply doesn't want to keep the car any more and will take the cash and sell the car.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

I suspect he is giving you a figure of 45% (suspect it is much lower) so that he can get your business and when the insurance companies realize what he is doing that, he'll close down and open under a different name.
They have been around a long time and used by the major companies, in this case it was State Farm. In our case the repair was $2800 but I could have just stuck two lights in and driven with a dented wing. As mentioned by Bob I had no obligation to go there and Sate Farm would have sent me a cheque. He was not soliciting business the subject came up when we were talking about vehicles with salvage or repaired titles.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Most insurance policies are for guaranteed repair or replacement. The policy holder is given the option of either taking the cash or say "repair it." There are times where the owner simply doesn't want to keep the car any more and will take the cash and sell the car.
I did exactly this one time. Took the money and ran, bought a new car.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

A number of years ago my OH backed out of the garage bang into the side door of my cleaning lady's car. Week after week went by and it wasn't repaired, we kept asking her about it as we were concerned that the insurance company hadn't taken care of her. Finally she admitted that she had used the money to pay for her immigration attorney, and my OH and I agreed that even though she had a dented (though perfectly roadworthy) car, this was one cloud that had a silver lining for her!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom line should be that you suffered a loss, are entitled to be compensated for that and you should decide if you want the repair or not. If you do not have the repair done you depreciate the value of your vehicle. Insurance companies should just pay you for your loss and you decide.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:12 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I did well out of the first car I bought when I came here. End of 2002 I bought a '99 Mazda Protege with 49000 miles on it for $5000 cash (it was a manual and I think the dealer was glad to get rid of it - the book price at the time said something like $8500).

About a year later someone quite heavily dinged the rear panel in a car park and their insurance paid me $1300 for it and I never bothered fixing it.

I sold the car at the beginning of 2007 with about 110000 miles on it for $2300.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had any substantive problems when asking for a 'cash out' insurance settlement after having an estimate performed at the dealership.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.