Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cars in containers and demurrage incurred

Cars in containers and demurrage incurred

Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cars in containers and demurrage incurred

There have been a few threads on shipping cars with household effects in a container. Personally I prefer Roll on Roll off where available as having a car in a container greatly increases the chances of the container being flagged for intensive examination.

Someone I know just had a container held for six weeks by Customs, the charge for the demurrage was $6000.I am in now way suggesting this will happen to every container with a car in it this is just an example of what costs can be incurred. There were two Land Rovers this particular one which are almost always inspected. No issues were found and the shipment was finally released.The last charge I heard for just a car for a similar period was $700.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Nov 5th 2015 at 10:02 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars in containers and demurrage incurred

Someone I know just had a container held for six weeks by Customs, the charge for the demurrage was $6000.I am in now way suggesting this will happen to every container with a car in it this is just an example of what costs can be incurred. There were two Land Rovers this particular one which are almost always inspected. No issues were found and the shipment was finally released.The last charge I heard for just a car for a similar period was $700.
Yeah, just cost me 5grand for two 101fc landies, the bastards didnt even take anythibg out of them to look.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 1:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
..... two 101fc landies, .....
Probably my ultimate dream vehicle, ahead of an M5 and a new Mustang 350 GT.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 11:23 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Yeah, just cost me 5grand for two 101fc landies, the bastards didnt even take anythibg out of them to look.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
One of ours in action a fortnight ago:

Can't wait to get it on the road too
Old Nov 8th 2015, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
One of ours in action a fortnight ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTLeLONTv4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8_Eydbwfg Can't wait to get it on the road too
Was that at the MAR ?
Old Nov 8th 2015, 12:57 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Was that at the MAR ?
No, the ROVERS fall trials in Robesonia. Lots of fun and very friendly crowd of people.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
There have been a few threads on shipping cars with household effects in a container. Personally I prefer Roll on Roll off where available as having a car in a container greatly increases the chances of the container being flagged for intensive examination.

The likely reason the Land Rovers were given the full body cavity treatment is because people used to import Defenders into the US that were not 25 years or older and were not imported via a US government certified Registered Importer who had the authority to modify the vehicle to comply with DOT and EPA regs.

Defenders were/are much sought after here owing to LandRover selling very limited numbers here, so there was a huge incentive to bring over these Grey Market / Illegal vehicle imports.

Back in the 90s I looked into bringing over a Defender but gave up on the idea when I couldn't find a suitable US importer authorised to conform the vehicle to EPA and DOT regs. I finally ended up buying 1 of the 500 Defender 110s that were imported in 1993 only.

Customs guys are always on the lookout for people trying to quietly smuggle in non US conforming vehicles that are highly sought after over here,so that maybee why they especially inspect Containerized vehicles.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

A Unimog would do everything the FC would and more.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The likely reason the Land Rovers were given the full body cavity treatment is because people used to import Defenders into the US that were not 25 years or older and were not imported via a US government certified Registered Importer who had the authority to modify the vehicle to comply with DOT and EPA regs. Defenders were/are much sought after here owing to LandRover selling very limited numbers here, so there was a huge incentive to bring over these Grey Market / Illegal vehicle imports. Back in the 90s I looked into bringing over a Defender but gave up on the idea when I couldn't find a suitable US importer authorised to conform the vehicle to EPA and DOT regs. I finally ended up buying 1 of the 500 Defender 110s that were imported in 1993 only. Customs guys are always on the lookout for people trying to quietly smuggle in non US conforming vehicles that are highly sought after over here,so that maybee why they especially inspect Containerized vehicles.
Customs are now being pressured by Jaguar Land Rover North America to ensure the Rovers are as close as possible to their original specs, they are the only company to have this policy.
A few years ago engines could be upgraded and galvanized chassis along with left hand drive conversions were permitted. These are now no longer allowed.
The main issue was to take the VIN plate from an old legal age car in a scrapyard and put it on a new Rover, this was clearly illegal plus the insurance would likely be invalid.
If there is a suspected issue with a Rover Customs refer it to the DOT who in turn refer it to JLNA who will verify the engine and chassis are of the correct type. This takes a while usually.
In the case of the 40 Rovers last year seized by Homeland Security I understand incorrect information was given by JLNA on some of them. The cars were later released thanks to a lawyer in North Carolina.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A Unimog would do everything the FC would and more.
So?

A Unimog (i) isn't a Landrover, (ii) isn't a limited edition, and (iii) isn't (IMO) attractive. If you gave me a Unimog I would sell it without a second thought to buy a 101.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:51 am
Turning into a PA gal!

So?

A Unimog (i) isn't a Landrover, (ii) isn't a limited edition, and (iii) isn't (IMO) attractive. If you gave me a Unimog I would sell it without a second thought to buy a 101.

i) right answer
ii) right answer
iii) right answer
Old Nov 9th 2015, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

So?

Quite attractive , from a Utilitarian and industrial design standpoint.

Old Nov 9th 2015, 2:51 am

Quite attractive , from a Utilitarian and industrial design standpoint. .....[/URL]
Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, ..... but the entire cab (everything painted blue) is an utter pigs breakfast. I don't see it as being in the least bit "utilitarian", more like something from the "trying very hard to make a silk purse out of sows eye" school of vehicle styling.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 9th 2015 at 3:08 am.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 2:55 am
Turning into a PA gal!

Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, ..... But the entire cab (everything painted blue) is an utter pigs breakfast. I don't see it as being in the least bit "utilitarian", more like something from the "trying very hard to make a silk purse out of sows eye" school of vehicle styling.
I can condense that into 2 words: plug ugly.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I can condense that into 2 words: plug ugly.
I've seen more attractive plugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.