Wikiposts

Carpenters in USA

Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:18 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenters in USA

Originally Posted by elfman
when was that?
My mrs is a USC and for me to move to the USA from UK took seven months from filling in the first form to my arrival in New York (Nov 2002)
Lucky sod. It took FOUR YEARS for mine.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

It is not only new construction that is slowing down. People are not putting as much into home upgrades as they were a year or so ago. Many contractors are without work and I suspect the laid off construction people are taking side work for cash.

One way to get your name out there if you are working for yourself is to try and get work with real estate agents who need work done on houses they are marketing. This gets your name out there with homeowners who refer you to their friends, word of mouth goes a long way. Be prepared to wait until real estate closings to be paid sometimes though.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:06 am
Just Joined

old curly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the Construction related responses!

It appears that its a similar situation as in England. All the people responding that have never spent 1 day on a building site think that all tradesman in USA are non-American, but responses from people who know what they're talking about say its mostly the Labourers, Painters etc. Believe it or not, this makes a big difference.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
i read elfmans timeline and nearly cried...... 2 years of tress.... and four for you!

Poor us
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
That's the second time I've seen you say that.. what the heck kind of process did you two DO?

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
When I came here I paid a fortune for a lawyer .. who after many consultaions didn't turn up at my INS interview

I was told by the interviewing officer that I had wasted a lot of money, I was legally married to a US citizen, I had no criminal record and a was British

All I need have done was down load the froms from INS for $450, fill them out and return them and everything would have been set

erm.. if it was long enough ago that you worked with the INS, it's a fair bet that things are different now.

Originally Posted by basementwaj
i read elfmans timeline and nearly cried...... 2 years of tress.... and four for you!

Poor us
pssst... 33 days petition to visa here. USC wife, UK hub. <g>
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
thats more than my basic salary and a lot more than my wife who makes $25 an hour as an attorney which obviously has the requirement of a bachelors/law degree/passing the bar

using a miter saw/table saw, a level and a nail gun is not rocket science

You're a funny little man aren't you.

Your wife has a degree? Wow, you must be proud.

So let me get this straight. Nobody is allowed to earn as much money as you, and particularly not as much as your wife?! Why not? She only makes about $50,000?? My boss was a bricklayer and now runs our residential building company, he makes around £180,000 per year remodelling houses. I dont think you know what your talking about.
I have a friend who is 25 years old, he's a plumber, he makes about the same as your wife (in sterling),on a bad week.

Also, I think that it depends on who the client is. There are decent people in more middle class areas, who have plenty of money, and want their house to look nice. They pay good price for good work. We work for these sorts of people.
Then there are people like you.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old curly

Also, I think that it depends on who the client is. There are decent people in more middle class areas, who have plenty of money, and want their house to look nice. They pay good price for good work. We work for these sorts of people.
It's also a different market, if you can get the same skilled labour willing to work for a lot less, which is often the case around here with the hispanic work force your going to make less money. And unlike in other countries, being in a trade doesn't get you a visa here. Each state also has different requirements so what might apply for you in one state might not in another.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who is 25 years old, he's a plumber, he makes about the same as your wife (in sterling),on a bad week.

But not in TN .....
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the Construction related responses!

It appears that its a similar situation as in England. All the people responding that have never spent 1 day on a building site think that all tradesman in USA are non-American, but responses from people who know what they're talking about say its mostly the Labourers, Painters etc. Believe it or not, this makes a big difference.

Thanks again.
You will go far with that attitude. I am not in hands on construction, but have a great knowledge of the building sites in 4 States. Can't wait to see your face, when it all happens & if your lucky, non union will offer you $13 an hour.
Bless you. Good luck, welcome to The New World.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

You're a funny little man aren't you.

Your wife has a degree? Wow, you must be proud.

So let me get this straight. Nobody is allowed to earn as much money as you, and particularly not as much as your wife?! Why not? She only makes about $50,000?? My boss was a bricklayer and now runs our residential building company, he makes around £180,000 per year remodelling houses. I dont think you know what your talking about.

You should try out for plumbing, highest paid workman in USA.
Of course you have to be willing to do a bit of cheating here & there, you know change the faucet (Thats what it is called), when it only needed a washer. Hope its a Sunday & they have a minor leak $463.00.
You have it all worked out. Good for you.
Frank R.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are not a Labourer, Painter etc.

But you are non-American.

PS: Does anybody know what the US eqivalent of the JCT Minor Works contract?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife likes HGTV, now is it me are the Contractors mainly white and the workers, well not so.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by frrussre
You will go far with that attitude. I am not in hands on construction, but have a great knowledge of the building sites in 4 States. Can't wait to see your face, when it all happens & if your lucky, non union will offer you $13 an hour.
Bless you. Good luck, welcome to The New World.
Reg. Frank R.
Im not saying I expect to earn loads of money right now. $13 per hour is an expected starting rate. Im saying that people that dont have Degrees and top dollar eduacation can still earn good money and theres no reason why they shouldnt be allowed.
No, not as a Carpenter starting their first day with a new company. Im saying that In years to come, I could be running my own projects. I may even buy land and build houses to sell them and make profit. Im sure this will produce more money than what you are quoting.

I think there are many narrow minded people here.
To put it in very simple terms, Im saying that people without a degree, who choose not to go to work in a suit and tie, to push a pen, are also allowed to earn good money. Difference being that its by working with different tools. Think outside the box.

Im Shocked that when posting a question to find information regarding my trade, I get an insulting reply saying that nobody in my area of work is allowed to earn as much as their wife.

I think I know the kind of people on this website now.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Have you even tried contacting some of the tradesmen in the area you're looking to move to? Looked up the Contractor's Board (CCB) to find out what licensing and insurance you'll need? Looked at the comparative wages for jobs on offer now?
This listing (courtesy the 1st reply in the thread) is offering $10-$12/hour:
Looking for a motivated person that has a good work ethic. Someone who needs to be versital in all aspects of carpentry from framing to finish. Serious inquiries only. NO DRUNKS OR DRUG USERS, Reliable people only. Must have transportation and handtools. Needs to have a working knowledge of carpentry and building. Pay ranges depending on knowledge and skill level. Be ready to work 40hrs possible more.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:12 am

I think I know the kind of people on this website now.
Buddy, I think you misread BritGuyTN's post *completely*.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.