Car Rentals: LHR

Old May 11th 2019, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Rentals: LHR

Hey guys,

I have a funeral in my immediate family to attend at the end of May. Managed to get a good round trip deal on flights, direct with luggage included for 600 to LHR. I'm looking to rent a car for as cheap as possible. When I run car rentals through Skyscanner.com, it comes back with deals from LHR from places such as Europcar, through a site called gotrentalcars for $86 for just over a week. Am I right to be skeptical about this kind of deal? It states unlimited mileage, insurance included, etc...? Where have you guys booked for LHR car rentals before? And how much?

Thanks in advance
Old May 12th 2019, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Rentals: LHR

Looking for the cheapest deal may end up costing more. For my car rental at Birmingham airport last year, looking for recommendations I read through a frequent flyer forum. I read numerous complaints about various companies making false claims for damage repair. Typically the renter would receive a letter weeks or even months after the car hire date, claiming several hundreds of pounds/dollars for repair to dents or scratches, and taking the amount off the renter's credit card. This seems to be a common scam for some rental companies, especially franchise operators. The advice given is to take photographs of the car before getting in and driving, and later after dropping the car off. This is especially important if there is no-one present to check the car in when returning. When presented with photographic evidence, the company usually went silent on the claim.

At BHX I used Sixt. I have used Sixt before and found them to be good. I paid with Amex credit card, using Amex Premium insurance coverage (about $25 per trip), and declined the rental company insurance. Sixt are currently listing LHR base rate for a week around $90.
Old May 13th 2019, 1:30 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

From looking at some of the cheaper sites - I noticed things like the deposit was a lot bigger, you were responsible to more amounts etc and these didn't show up until went to actually book and I clicked on the t&c stuff to check. It didn't leave me feeling very comfortable and went with enterprise.
Old May 13th 2019, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in the U.K. back in February for my fathers funeral I rented a car from Avis at Heathrow, had no issues at all price was decent ended up with a brand new Ford Focus, the price included unlimited mileage, CDW, and a full tank of fuel.
Old May 13th 2019, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

At LHR rent from one of the on-site firms, like Avis/Enterprise/Hertz and you cannot go wrong (I have used them all, most recently Avis for Spring Break)
Booking via Expedia or other sites instead of direct can be worthwhile depending on the deals offered.
Old May 13th 2019, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Booked my car through rentalcars.com. Got an SUV for a great price for the length of my trip. The car was through Alamo, I was very impressed with their service. I was in and out in minutes, both picking the car up and dropping it off.
Old May 13th 2019, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
Looking for the cheapest deal may end up costing more. For my car rental at Birmingham airport last year, looking for recommendations I read through a frequent flyer forum. I read numerous complaints about various companies making false claims for damage repair. Typically the renter would receive a letter weeks or even months after the car hire date, claiming several hundreds of pounds/dollars for repair to dents or scratches, and taking the amount off the renter's credit card. This seems to be a common scam for some rental companies, especially franchise operators. The advice given is to take photographs of the car before getting in and driving, and later after dropping the car off. This is especially important if there is no-one present to check the car in when returning. When presented with photographic evidence, the company usually went silent on the claim.

At BHX I used Sixt. I have used Sixt before and found them to be good. I paid with Amex credit card, using Amex Premium insurance coverage (about $25 per trip), and declined the rental company insurance. Sixt are currently listing LHR base rate for a week around $90.
My last trip I used Sixt, very happy with them, got a very nice Bimmer, yes you pay a little more, but in my opinion they won't try and Nickel and Dime you, the car return was a cursory glance, and all good, going cheap may start cheap, but who knows what they will try and fleece you with!!

You get what you pay for rings true for me!!
Old May 13th 2019, 1:59 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to comments suggesting the budget options aren't always budget-friendly. I've usually ended up booking through Avis, as I was a member of some sort of premium thingy through a previous employer and have seen no reason to change preferred rental company. I spent a while flying into T5 on a semi-regular basis, where Avis' pre-booked cars were brought into the short-term parking garage rather than needing a shuttle to the rental lot on the northern perimeter road. That alone was worth a few extra quid in my book. Avis also has a fast-track pick up service at T2 for their "preferred customer" program which, again, is IMO worth joining just for the extra convenience of not having to haul luggage to and from the rental lot on the shuttle bus.

I'm pretty sure some other suppliers have similar agreements (Sixt definitely has a reserved section of the T5 garage, so may have similar arrangements at T2).
Old May 13th 2019, 3:51 pm
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever used Enterprise at LHR. Little tip if using Enterprise, search for cars at their Hounslow location, rather than the Enterprise within the Airport. It's an very short taxi ride away along the Bath Road but the savings are pretty significant from what I have found. Always worth checking. Got a really nice Mercedes C Class from there last Christmas and it was a lot cheaper.
Old May 13th 2019, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamackabi
I've only ever used Enterprise at LHR. Little tip if using Enterprise, search for cars at their Hounslow location, rather than the Enterprise within the Airport. It's an very short taxi ride away along the Bath Road but the savings are pretty significant from what I have found. Always worth checking. Got a really nice Mercedes C Class from there last Christmas and it was a lot cheaper.
i second that!!
Old May 13th 2019, 4:49 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
... various companies making false claims for damage repair. Typically the renter would receive a letter weeks or even months after the car hire date, claiming several hundreds of pounds/dollars for repair to dents or scratches, and taking the amount off the renter's credit card. This seems to be a common scam for some rental companies.
long standing scam - occurred to me 20 years ago ... for a windscreen. Basic fraud. Fortunately we had a solicitor in the family who put a courtesy stop to it.
Photos at check out and upon return, and written acceptance of condition upon ticket close out can help, too.

If using hotwire, expedias of the world; I've found that clearing your computer's cache often will regenerate special pricing as the sites will monitor your browsing habits etc and not always show the best deal. There used to be price differences between if you used a Mac vs Windows!! (Expedia got caught for that one years ago! lol)
Old May 13th 2019, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Booked my car through rentalcars.com. Got an SUV for a great price for the length of my trip. The car was through Alamo, I was very impressed with their service. I was in and out in minutes, both picking the car up and dropping it off.
I have used rentalcars.com and been very satisfied. This includes one occasion when, as a special deal, full insurance cover was included. The car was side swiped while parked and the full £3,800 was covered and handled by them.
Old May 13th 2019, 6:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I used Hertz the last time I was at LHR, I don't recall which travel site I booked through, but I know it wasn't a whole lot more than the lower price companies, and super-easy pick up and drop off.

If you're in the UK for more than a few days try pricing a car rented in the city you're going to and taking the train or bus then picking up the car locally - airport rentals are significantly more expensive than renting locally.
Old May 13th 2019, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Europcar are pretty big, it's not like they are some backstreet team - is the question more about using the re-seller sites? The price sounds pretty good, but it's not utterly crazy and if you buy via a UK website you would probably have insurance included as that is the standard.

Enterprise tried to diddle me over here - my insurance company was even prepared to pay out - I stopped them. You can't get Hail damage if it doesn't Hail where you are - they had assumed my location as I picked-up from one place and dropped at another.
Old May 13th 2019, 10:06 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We always use Hertz. They have a very frequent shuttle bus and processing is fairly swift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.