Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Car rental nightmare

Car rental nightmare

Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:47 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car rental nightmare

Oh, my. Who'd have thought that getting a rental car for one day would be one of the more difficult things about moving to another country?

I made my hotel reservation for the day before I fly so I can rest up before I leave, and I'm trying to get a rental car for the 2 hour trip to Miami. All the people I called want either a major credit card in my name (which I no longer have and will stay away from like the plague) or a debit card, (which I have) which they will make a MINIMUM deposit of $300, and lord only knows how long it'll take to get it back. I was hoping to get all my accounts closed before I left so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the UK. I really should get a car, as I will have a suitcase, hand luggage, and a large dog crate with me. Not to mention that the hotel kicks people out at 1pm at the latest.

I suppose I could book and extra night so I have somewhere to stay until I can book my dog onto the flight at 5pm, but just the thought of how much a cab to Miami will cost is making me feel physically sick. I don't know many people, and the ones I do know who MIGHT be willing to take me to the hotel are people I work with, so I doubt they'll take a day off work for me. Gaaahhh, what do I do?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car rental nightmare

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Not to mention that the hotel kicks people out at 1pm at the latest.

I suppose I could book and extra night so I have somewhere to stay until I can book my dog onto the flight at 5pm, but just the thought of how much a cab to Miami will cost is making me feel physically sick. I don't know many people, and the ones I do know who MIGHT be willing to take me to the hotel are people I work with, so I doubt they'll take a day off work for me. Gaaahhh, what do I do?
Hi there

can't help you with the car rental problem but as far as the hotel check out goes you should try asking for a late check out. My OH travels quiet a lot (he works with bands on tour) and on many occasion due to late nights they request a late check out. Anyway good luck I'm sure someone else will be along with more helpful advice.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:23 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore what I wrote. I called my fave rental place again (used them numerous times before) and they gave me a more reasonable quote. I have to go to the local international airport to pick it up so I can have a one-way rental, but it'll be easier to get someone to take me there instead of to Miami. I'll have to suck it up and leave my checking account open and just close it once I'm back in the UK and the deposit has been refunded. I expect I can transfer the remaining funds into a UK account once I have one established? Hopefully someone can confirm this for me.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:24 pm
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Hi there

can't help you with the car rental problem but as far as the hotel check out goes you should try asking for a late check out. My OH travels quiet a lot (he works with bands on tour) and on many occasion due to late nights they request a late check out. Anyway good luck I'm sure someone else will be along with more helpful advice.

Yah I already asked them that, and they said they can't do it any later. Thank you for the advice, though.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore what I wrote. I called my fave rental place again (used them numerous times before) and they gave me a more reasonable quote. I have to go to the local international airport to pick it up so I can have a one-way rental, but it'll be easier to get someone to take me there instead of to Miami. I'll have to suck it up and leave my checking account open and just close it once I'm back in the UK and the deposit has been refunded. I expect I can transfer the remaining funds into a UK account once I have one established? Hopefully someone can confirm this for me.
I transfer money from my US to UK account. Make sure you can transfer the money on line...otherwise you may be required to go in person to the US bank to transfer the money. I used to have an arrangement with Chase Bank to fax an internation transfer to them....they will no longer accept it...it either has to be done on-line or in person. Something to do with fraud and money laundering.

How did you book the hotel? Hotels and car rental companies will normally only accept payment by credit card...this is so they can charge the card with any damage, expenses etc.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 6:01 pm
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How did you book the hotel? Hotels and car rental companies will normally only accept payment by credit card...this is so they can charge the card with any damage, expenses etc.
Hmmmm, good point. I told the lady at the hotel what brand of card it was, but neither she or I made no mention of debit or credit. Best call them and make sure I can use my debit card. Thanks for that, JG, you might have saved me a nasty shock!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 6:08 pm
Former Floridian

Hmmmm, good point. I told the lady at the hotel what brand of card it was, but neither she or I made no mention of debit or credit. Best call them and make sure I can use my debit card. Thanks for that, JG, you might have saved me a nasty shock!

I think I need to sit down and breathe for a sec. The lady from the hotel said that yes, I could pay however I want when I get there, and I had told her earlier it was a debit card I'm using, I'd forgotten the conversation!

At least I have most of the major things done now, all the rest is as and when I get to it. Apart from the rest of dog's paperwork. That one will tip me over the brink of insanity!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Once it's all over with you will probably look back and laugh at the whole thing.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:15 pm
Former Floridian

I just had a brainwave about transferring my remaining funds to the UK....Paypal!! The money that's in my US account would be under my monthly limit, so I don't think it'd be a problem to transfer it to a family member who has a PP account. Yah, I'd be charged fees at both ends, but it seems like a simple solution. Does anyone know of any probs I might encounter? I want to stay above the law, obviously! I'd also have to check with my bank that I can close my account without having to be there in person.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a brainwave about transferring my remaining funds to the UK....Paypal!! The money that's in my US account would be under my monthly limit, so I don't think it'd be a problem to transfer it to a family member who has a PP account. Yah, I'd be charged fees at both ends, but it seems like a simple solution. Does anyone know of any probs I might encounter? I want to stay above the law, obviously! I'd also have to check with my bank that I can close my account without having to be there in person.
Why don't you just set up an international wire transfer with your US bank online? That way you can transfer it to your UK bank account. You could also do it using XE Trade online.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this will help, but we had a US account when we moved back. We used our US cheque book paying the ballance into our UK account. Our bank didn't charge a fee. We then just wrote to the US bank closing the account.