British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Car rental advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/car-rental-advice-792349/)

Hammerhead786 Mar 30th 2013 8:37 pm

Car rental advice

Not moving back to the UK, but just visiting. Will need to rent a car while I am there. Anyone know what I will need to provide apart from my driving licence and passport? Should I pay with my Canadian credit card and use the collision protection from that to decline CDW from the rental company? Any pitfalls I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

larrabee Mar 31st 2013 1:11 am

Re: Car rental advice

Originally Posted by Hammerhead786 (Post 10632574)
Not moving back to the UK, but just visiting. Will need to rent a car while I am there. Anyone know what I will need to provide apart from my driving licence and passport? Should I pay with my Canadian credit card and use the collision protection from that to decline CDW from the rental company? Any pitfalls I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

I think you have the right idea. I used to use my US credit card and that way the insurance portion was covered. I actually brought with me a copy of the terms and conditions of the card too which proved (to myself as much as to the rental company!) that I would be covered.
I used Hertz and I found that I got better prices on the Hertz.com site than on Hertz.co.uk.:)

Hammerhead786 Mar 31st 2013 1:38 am

Originally Posted by larrabee (Post 10632796)
I think you have the right idea. I used to use my US credit card and that way the insurance portion was covered. I actually brought with me a copy of the terms and conditions of the card too which proved (to myself as much as to the rental company!) that I would be covered.
I used Hertz and I found that I got better prices on the Hertz.com site than on Hertz.co.uk.:)

Much appreciated thanks.

lf1 Mar 31st 2013 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Hammerhead786 (Post 10632574)

Thanks in advance.

Yes, that is exactly what we used to do. DL and Cdn CC for the insurance part. Not aware of any particular pitfalls. Enjoy your visit.

Hammerhead786 Mar 31st 2013 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10633015)
Yes, that is exactly what we used to do. DL and Cdn CC for the insurance part. Not aware of any particular pitfalls. Enjoy your visit.

Thank you.