Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Car problems - is there any help out there?

Car problems - is there any help out there?

Old Jul 18th 2018, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car problems - is there any help out there?

I'll try and keep this short...my 2011 car that I've had a year was overheating 2 weeks ago, so I took it to the dealership. $1500 later it was OK. Then yesterday it overheated again and the head gasket has blown leaving me with a huge repair bill on a car I still owe $9000+ on.
Is there anyone out there that helps out with this kind of thing? I wouldn't know if the original work wasn't done right and has caused the further problems. I don't know how I'll afford the repairs, and I don't know how it'd work with trading it in with me owing so much.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 18th 2018, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car problems - is there any help out there?

What kind of car, mileage on it, #of cylinders. What did the dealer do for the 1500? You are probably going to be at the mercy of the dealer who worked on it but more information about the car will help any one offering advice.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 4:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your problem is why I never use a dealer for mechanical work. I prefer to use a private garage that I trust than a dealership. Whatever work they did should be under some type of warranty. Have you called them?
Old Jul 18th 2018, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

It's a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with 116k miles on it. Not sure about cylinders.
The $1500 was for a replacement coolant hose to the heater and a new active flap.

Usually I take my car to Tires Plus, where my friend is the manager, and thats where the car is now, but they can't do anything with Hybrid batteries. When it all started last time, I took it to TiresPlus and their machine said it was hybrid related so they couldn't do anything with it.

I did call the dealership, and they said they did all the work right and that this must be unrelated. Of course they'd say that!

Is there some kind of Ombudsman for this kind of thing?
Old Jul 18th 2018, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
It's a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with 116k miles on it. Not sure about cylinders.
The $1500 was for a replacement coolant hose to the heater and a new active flap.

Usually I take my car to Tires Plus, where my friend is the manager, and thats where the car is now, but they can't do anything with Hybrid batteries. When it all started last time, I took it to TiresPlus and their machine said it was hybrid related so they couldn't do anything with it.

I did call the dealership, and they said they did all the work right and that this must be unrelated. Of course they'd say that!

Is there some kind of Ombudsman for this kind of thing?
I think I found the problem!

Seriously, contact the dealer and see if they're willing to help. That would be my frst move. Handling overheating, as a dealer, I would have thought they would have checked the head gasket a matter of course.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

What was the symptoms of the initial problem? Did you see any antifreeze leaking on your parking area? A simple leaking hose should not cost 1500. If it was a blown heat gasket all along you would probably have noticed pressure build up in cooling system to the point of forcing steam and coolant out thru radiator cap. A key thing to consider is how hot did the engine get. If driven in a badly overheated state heads can crack or engine could nearly seize making repairs economically impractical. Hopefully your mechanic friend can offer some good advice or the dealer will stand by his work.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The check engine light came on, when I took it to my mechanics they said it was hybrid related so they couldn't deal with, so I had to go to the proper dealer.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

The fact that it didn’t badly overheat is great. If fluid or steam didn’t spew out radiator cap it probably wasn’t initially due to head gasket and that is also an indication of not overheating whatever the cause. Hopefully your mechanic friend can find the problem and it may not be as bad as you think.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd try and get some information to see if they did any sort of investigating on the head (pressure check etc etc) as Guindalf said, for overheating they should be doing some sort of investigation on the head/head gasket.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

Any car reaching a dealer that has overheated should be checked for damage, and that includes looking for signs of fluid contamination amd pressure checks. If they didn't do those and then it overheats again I'd say you're in a good position to come back to the dealer.
However... I wouldn't trust ANYTHING a main dealer says. I have seen numerous misdiagnosis done over here that were pure money grabs. Find a decent independent mechanic shop instead. There are plenty of good mechanics here. I found mine on Yelp and my bullshit radar has never been set off by him (and I used to do a lot of spannering in the past).
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - second the advice to go to an independant mechanic. I took my Prius hybrid ONCE to the dealership where they tried to rip me off. I went online to the Prius owners forum and was put straight there. So, you could search for a Sonata hybrid forum? I also asked on my neighborhood group for a recommendation and about 6 all recommended the same place. 2 years later and no bill over $250 I am happy...
Old Jul 18th 2018, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try and keep this short...my 2011 car that I've had a year was overheating 2 weeks ago, so I took it to the dealership. $1500 later it was OK. Then yesterday it overheated again and the head gasket has blown leaving me with a huge repair bill on a car I still owe $9000+ on.
Is there anyone out there that helps out with this kind of thing? I wouldn't know if the original work wasn't done right and has caused the further problems. I don't know how I'll afford the repairs, and I don't know how it'd work with trading it in with me owing so much.

Any suggestions?
'Active flap'? Does it really say that on your invoice or is that how the desk monkey described a thermostat?
Can you be more specific about the items charged? The fact that it happened so soon after being tinkered with would suggest that the dealership did not correctly follow the coolant refill proceedure when they worked on it. Presumably you have no idea what the coolant level was like prior to blowing the head gasket? Just how many miles/journeys between 'fixing' and failing did you put on it?
Your State/dealership may stipulate a minimum number of miles for related failures following shop work. (Check invoice first for the dealers 'slopey shoulders clauses').

Have you googled the ombudsman situation for your State? Someone who's been screwed in Florida is like to have different experience than someone in California.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

If you have the Hyundai hybrid its likely only the dealer can fix it. I've had a shit ton of problems with a Hyundai that's still under warranty trying to get things fixed.

Good luck with it.

I'd lose the car and get something else easier to fix.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lots of great info here, thank you.

Sadly ditching the car isn't an option at this point as I owe too much on it.

I took the car to my independent mechanic, but as the initial check engine light said it was Hybrid related, they couldn't do much of it. This mechanic is the one who said it doesn't seem like they did adequate checks after the work was done to see if the problem was solved. That's been backed up by you on here.
The car did 500miles between issues, which is why they are claiming it's nothing to do with the initial problem. My argument is that though they supposedly fixed 2 of the symptoms, they didn't get to the bottom of the real problem which has now caused the further damage.

There's also a dispute about whether they even ran the car. They say the took it on a 20mile ride, but there wasn't much gas in it when I dropped it off the first time, and the gas light came on on my way home, so they can't have gone far. The paperwork they gave me says 116411miles in 116411 miles out.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

It might be time to talk to an attorney? A decent one will give you 1/2hr of their time just to listen to your story and look at any evidence (papers etc) you may have. If they think you have a claim they will offer to assist. If they think you don't have much chance they will walk away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.