Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

car with 3 proper seats in the back

car with 3 proper seats in the back

Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car with 3 proper seats in the back

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Peer group (HOA) pressure.....
Oh puh-lease.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 3:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Peer group (HOA) pressure.....
Not to mention that if you actually live in the city, where parking spots are getting narrower and more shallow all the time, people who drive big stupid trucks are just obnoxious. Unless you live in the boondocks, or are a contractor or have a legitimate reason for driving a truck, just get a normal automobile. Seriously. Nobody cares how small your penis is.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
people who drive big stupid trucks are just obnoxious.
Yep. It's funny how the majority of trucks are pristine as though they've never done a day of hauling in their life LOL. As someone that used to drive a truck in their previous job, why anyone would choose to drive one unless they had to is beyond me! Then again, I don't have a small knob.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Seriously. Nobody cares how small your penis is.
Originally Posted by markonline1
I don't have a small knob.
And nobody cares how small it isn't

(Sorry...couldn't resist. Just takin' the piss. No pun intended)
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Yep. It's funny how the majority of trucks are pristine as though they've never done a day of hauling in their life LOL. As someone that used to drive a truck in their previous job, why anyone would choose to drive one unless they had to is beyond me! Then again, I don't have a small knob.

And they back them into parking places and the bed hangs way over and takes up the whole sidewalk which is really nice for the disabled people who might actually need to use walkers or wheelchairs there.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:26 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by MMcD
And nobody cares how small it isn't

(Sorry...couldn't resist. Just takin' the piss. No pun intended)
For the record, I am pro unsmall knobs.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of size of knob.....

Neil Patrick Harris Insists He Didn't Stuff His Underwear to Make His Penis Look Bigger at the Oscars | E! Online
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, what a nice little chat you've all had!
"For the record, I am pro unsmall knobs."
Me too Leslie....

That Infiniti that was recommended is MASSIVE! I really couldn't remember seeing one before but now that they've been mentioned I see them everywhere! I don't think it would go in my garage even, but maybe Pulaski will go and google that and tell me that it will

OH tells me that I'm in denial about our eldest going off to college and that's why I'm insisting on a car big enough to take her on all our expeditions. Maybe, but I'm happy to change again in 2 years if that's the case, college kids have lots of holidays don't they??

I think I'll just make sure we all go out together in his focus a few times and he can listen to the arguments about who gets the middle non-seat in the back.
Tahoe, Explorer, Volvo, Pilot look like the best contenders so far. Time to go and take a look at them.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
..... That Infiniti that was recommended is MASSIVE! ....
Er, #8 above.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, what a nice little chat you've all had!
"For the record, I am pro unsmall knobs."
Me too Leslie....

That Infiniti that was recommended is MASSIVE! I really couldn't remember seeing one before but now that they've been mentioned I see them everywhere! I don't think it would go in my garage even, but maybe Pulaski will go and google that and tell me that it will

OH tells me that I'm in denial about our eldest going off to college and that's why I'm insisting on a car big enough to take her on all our expeditions. Maybe, but I'm happy to change again in 2 years if that's the case, college kids have lots of holidays don't they??

I think I'll just make sure we all go out together in his focus a few times and he can listen to the arguments about who gets the middle non-seat in the back.
Tahoe, Explorer, Volvo, Pilot look like the best contenders so far. Time to go and take a look at them.
Maybe he is in denial that he now lives in Texas and you NEED a big car. My DH loved his small cars until he got his big truck (medium for this area - Nissan Frontier). He LOVES his truck, especially when he was rear headed by a big ford Expedition whilst in traffic (4 vehicles wrecked in all) . Truck totaled but he escaped with nothing but a bruised chest and was able to compete in a half Marathon 3 days later. If I had been in my Madza I would have been totaled! Still miss my Mitubushi Montero but husband is pleased I can no longer just go along to Ikea and load up the car. My madza 2 doesn't hold anything bar grocery shopping

Actually I think it might have been a suburban and she wasn't insured! Thankfully we were.

Last edited by jjmb; Feb 24th 2015 at 8:37 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:48 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
He LOVES his truck, especially when he was rear headed by a big ford Expedition whilst in traffic (4 vehicles wrecked in all) . Truck totaled but he escaped with nothing but a bruised chest and was able to compete in a half Marathon 3 days later. If I had been in my Madza I would have been totaled! .
Ah JJMB, I've already had this discussion.... OH worked in the automotive part of the company for years and had access to safety data not generally available. I'm paraphrasing but truck things have rigid chassis and smaller, newer cars have safer safety cage or something with crumple zones. I had a very bad car accident on the M1 yrs ago in a brand spanking new astra, the car crumpled around me and I got out with bad bruising where the seatbelt had been and whiplash. Car was written off.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:58 pm

Ah JJMB, I've already had this discussion.... OH worked in the automotive part of the company for years and had access to safety data not generally available. I'm paraphrasing but truck things have rigid chassis and smaller, newer cars have safer safety cage or something with crumple zones. I had a very bad car accident on the M1 yrs ago in a brand spanking new astra, the car crumpled around me and I got out with bad bruising where the seatbelt had been and whiplash. Car was written off.
It's an interesting debate, and full of contradictory data, oft quoted out of context. You are correct that modern unibody vehicles offer great protection, they are more manoeuvrable, and easier to stop, however it is also true that bigger vehicles are generally safer in a (literal) head to head situation. A few years ago someone locally drove their Civic into the path of an F250 (not mine, I must add). The driver of the truck walked away. The Civic driver had to be carried away, .... and placed in a box.

In short comparing small unibody cars to large body-on-frame trucks is an apples to oranges comparison.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 24th 2015 at 10:21 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Yep you are right Pulaski and if I had been in the particular car accident DH had with my car,it might have gone either way as he had seen what was happening (speeding car seen via rear window mirror) and had started to move out of the way, so the impact was not as direct as it would have been. He also had the skill I do not have and managed not roll over (trucks have that tendency) and managed to steer himself so he didn't end up on the freeway (he was about to go on the freeway from the ramp). In my madza, my car could have been pushed into the oncoming traffic, just because of the sheer size of the SUV and probably not that well protected from a partly side impact from the rear.
PF, I used the "NEED" augment to use with your DH (partly in jest,) because its the one that is often used here and people seem to think they are far safer in trucks or SUVs than they really are, so tend to drive recklessly (around here anyway). Size always seemed to be a reason use by parents for getting their kids huge cars when my kids were younger as they would be safer. Of course that was when gas was 99c a gallon. Now they seem to favour Hondas or Toyotas. I have even seen kids walking home from school in the last few years!
Fitting 3 large kids in car is not a one I have seen or heard here as they just get a big SUV with 3 rows of seats. The bigger your SUV or truck was a few years back with have brought your status up in any neighbourhood, even gated ones. Times have changed obviously.
That is the other aspect you should consider, most college age kids have their own car and even high school juniors. So that 3rd seat could be empty within months. Better to save the $ for other things that will be coming up over the next few years and listen to them squabble.
As for me, I love my little car but when I am driving along next to a big SUV, trucks or tractor trailers on the I35, I really wish I was in a bigger one. DH only just recently commented on how difficult it is to see a small car when he is in his truck. He is firm converter to the bigger car/truck since his accident which is complete reversal of his stance when he was driving his Golf or the even smaller Ford Aspire (with no air conditioning).