Camping

Old Jun 12th 2018, 2:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping

Originally Posted by WEBlue

I garden a lot, so I'll always need to be vigilant. I find at least one or two on me every summer. They are definitely the bane of outdoor-lovers!!!!
I don't know what it is like in other parts of the country, but in our part of CT the ticks are out in incredible force this year. We have both removed two attached ones already, and always find a couple crawling on us after we've been in the garden or walked the dogs. Haven't found any attached to the dogs, so the flea/tick control meds must be working (and they are lucky enough to have Lyme vaccine), but I think they bring them indoors and they leave the dogs and view us as fresh meat! I also have one dog who likes to get on the back of the sofa and drape himself around my neck, after which I start to feel the ticks walking on me. I am also waking up in the night, convinced that they are getting into my ears! Paranoia strikes deep . . . .
Old Jun 12th 2018, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I don't know what it is like in other parts of the country, but in our part of CT the ticks are out in incredible force this year. We have both removed two attached ones already, and always find a couple crawling on us after we've been in the garden or walked the dogs. Haven't found any attached to the dogs, so the flea/tick control meds must be working (and they are lucky enough to have Lyme vaccine), but I think they bring them indoors and they leave the dogs and view us as fresh meat! I also have one dog who likes to get on the back of the sofa and drape himself around my neck, after which I start to feel the ticks walking on me. I am also waking up in the night, convinced that they are getting into my ears! Paranoia strikes deep . . . .
Tick season hit earlier and they're out in full force in St Louis, due to skipping spring and going right into summer. It sucks. Yeah I'm super paranoid now too, having already detached 4/5 from myself and finding at least another 3 crawling on me. Also my first time experiencing ticks and hearing about the diseases etc makes me not want to hike anymore! My dog has had 3 removed from her already too - what flea/tick stuff are you using for your dog? I think ours isn't very good and we need to get something better/stronger.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Husband who is an avid camper in the US, Europe and of course, Canada, swears it is the perfumed soap that attracts bugs and insects. He never gets a bite and will only use Ivory Soap. In the summer, I switch from Dove to Ivory for just that reason.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Husband who is an avid camper in the US, Europe and of course, Canada, swears it is the perfumed soap that attracts bugs and insects. He never gets a bite and will only use Ivory Soap. In the summer, I switch from Dove to Ivory for just that reason.
This might sound odd but I never wash with soap or shampoo! I only use water. My hair only gets shampoo'd by my hairdresser at the salon I go to, every couple of months lol. So it can't be soap on me! I've read they pick their host by scent (CO2 we breath out is what they smell, hence how they find us regardless of bug sprays or not!).
Old Jun 12th 2018, 3:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
My dog has had 3 removed from her already too - what flea/tick stuff are you using for your dog? I think ours isn't very good and we need to get something better/stronger.
I have all the dogs on NexGard chewables. I used to use something of a mixture -- Scalibor collar on one, NexGard on another, old school Frontline on one who is prone to be allergic to meds and whom I didn't want to change over . . . but I gave that up during the winter and got them all onto NexGard with no bad reactions and, so far, it's been effective.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have all the dogs on NexGard chewables. I used to use something of a mixture -- Scalibor collar on one, NexGard on another, old school Frontline on one who is prone to be allergic to meds and whom I didn't want to change over . . . but I gave that up during the winter and got them all onto NexGard with no bad reactions and, so far, it's been effective.
Which store tends to stock those? We were using VetGard Plus for Dogs but it's a liquid that we put on her and to be honest, it's just not working! I'm intrigued as to how a chewable one works though!
Old Jun 12th 2018, 4:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Which store tends to stock those? We were using VetGard Plus for Dogs but it's a liquid that we put on her and to be honest, it's just not working! I'm intrigued as to how a chewable one works though!
You need a prescription from your vet. If you get the prescription, you can probably get it cheaper from somewhere like 1-800-PETMEDS rather than actually purchasing it from your vet. If you google that site, you will find info about how the med works.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

You need a prescription from your vet. If you get the prescription, you can probably get it cheaper from somewhere like 1-800-PETMEDS rather than actually purchasing it from your vet. If you google that site, you will find info about how the med works.
Perfect, thank you! I would give you rep if I knew how to since the update!
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:39 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Tick season hit earlier and they're out in full force in St Louis, due to skipping spring and going right into summer. It sucks. Yeah I'm super paranoid now too, having already detached 4/5 from myself and finding at least another 3 crawling on me. Also my first time experiencing ticks and hearing about the diseases etc makes me not want to hike anymore!
Yes, sadly, I think some people are giving up hiking. I've definitely given up hiking in certain terrains. I try not to do narrow, overgrown pathways, or brush of any kind. The walkway, campground, sitting area, etc., has to be clear or I won't go there.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

New human vaccine against Lyme just finished Phase 1 trials with brilliant results, so I hope that the phase 2 trials are good too. Its also "hexavalent" - good against multiple strains of Lyme.

Steve
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Yes, sadly, I think some people are giving up hiking. I've definitely given up hiking in certain terrains. I try not to do narrow, overgrown pathways, or brush of any kind. The walkway, campground, sitting area, etc., has to be clear or I won't go there.
It sucks because I love camping, hiking, running on trails etc. But it's not worth it to get diseases like that

Originally Posted by steveq
New human vaccine against Lyme just finished Phase 1 trials with brilliant results, so I hope that the phase 2 trials are good too. Its also "hexavalent" - good against multiple strains of Lyme.

Steve
Got a link on this? Would be super interested to read it from a science perspective!
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.drugdevelopment-technolo...ine-candidate/
Old Jun 13th 2018, 2:32 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by steveq

Steve
I took part in the trials for the only human Lyme vaccine to have made it to market, LymeRIX. It was withdrawn after unsubstantiated claims that it caused arthritis. I certainly regretted its demise and suffered no ill effects. In light of that history, I think any manufacturer thinking of introducing a Lyme vaccine is going to be very cautious.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 2:56 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I took part in the trials for the only human Lyme vaccine to have made it to market, LymeRIX. It was withdrawn after unsubstantiated claims that it caused arthritis. I certainly regretted its demise and suffered no ill effects. In light of that history, I think any manufacturer thinking of introducing a Lyme vaccine is going to be very cautious.
An interesting analysis of the LymeRIX vaccine and why it was withdrawn: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2870557/

It was certainly not the only vaccine that was getting a bad rap in the late nineties/early naughties…..
Old Jun 16th 2018, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

We live in the Adirondacs and my wife is keen on camping, on the other hand I detest the thought of it. A couple of years ago she bought a 4 person tent which is quite easy to erect, we own a Jeep Wrangler and other vehicles, we decided to head up into the mountains for a couple of days, set up camp and lit a fire whilst all the time I felt like getting the hell out of there, my missus and daughter headed off riding in her yellow Wrangler and a state trooper stopped by to give me a permit then told me a huge storm was coming in and it would be a good idea to take everything down and leave, luckily my wife returned nd over herd him, we came home and spent the night in our wonderful house
I have also insisted we buy a 12 bore pump action shotgun for future trips and he also warned me about the bears and cougars in the mountains, I know there are bears and have actually seen cougars. The gun is safely stowed away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.