California fires

Old Dec 8th 2018, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California fires

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Cascadia Subduction Zone and mega thrust quake. Seattle and Vancouver would be hit hard. Oregon likely see tsunamis, west coast of Vancouber Island would be wiped out. Apparently west coast of Vancouver Island would have 20 minutes or less warning to get to high enough ground.

Last one was Jan. 27, 1700. Canada gives a 12% probability of it happening in the next 50 years.

There have been 20 in the last 10,000 years.

I wonder if the US and Canada could handle such a large quake?
This is just one of the chilling projections from the article:
osspac estimates that in the I-5 corridor it will take between one and three months after the earthquake to restore electricity, a month to a year to restore drinking water and sewer service, six months to a year to restore major highways, and eighteen months to restore health-care facilities. On the coast, those numbers go up. Whoever chooses or has no choice but to stay there will spend three to six months without electricity, one to three years without drinking water and sewage systems, and three or more years without hospitals. Those estimates do not apply to the tsunami-inundation zone, which will remain all but uninhabitable for years