Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Buying a replacement car on credit.

Buying a replacement car on credit.

Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a replacement car on credit.

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Yes I have creditwise for checking my score, thanks for the heads up though.

True, I was only looking at dealers because:

1. At the time of posting I was considering finance, which a private seller wont give
2. I've found very few that weren't wrecks from private parties, plus many 'private' sellers on CL these days are in fact flippers.

Not sure where you live but something else to be aware of when buying used is if the area has been through any bad storms recently.

There was a big problem here in Texas with vehicles that had been flooded during the hurricane in 2017.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Not sure where you live but something else to be aware of when buying used is if the area has been through any bad storms recently.

There was a big problem here in Texas with vehicles that had been flooded during the hurricane in 2017.
I agree. Or even cold areas where a car could be damaged by all the salt from the roads.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I agree. Or even cold areas where a car could be damaged by all the salt from the roads.
Or hail damage from thunderstorms.

Come to think of it, is there any part of the US that doesn't have some sort of extreme weather possible?
Old Jan 16th 2019, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Or hail damage from thunderstorms.

Come to think of it, is there any part of the US that doesn't have some sort of extreme weather possible?
I guess not. Although the damage from crap on the roads can be harder to identify than dents on the roof.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Does extreme sunshine count?
Old Jan 16th 2019, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Does extreme sunshine count?
Fire?
I guess not. ....
​​​​​​​I believe that your bailiwick and mine, is about as benign as you'll find in the US for cars - with little salt on the roads, only very localized flooding risk, and rarely hail, but as you said, damage from hail, or being hit by a falling tree/branch (which happened once to our 2003 Accord), is pretty obvious.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 9:11 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Interestingly though, the internet seems to disagree with your second statement (as much as I agree with you though). It seems dealers prefer finance these days as they make more money on the interest than an outright sale. Cash is no longer king it seems.
Best bet is to walk in able to make a cash offer, or with a loan ready to go from somewhere else. Dealers are strongly incentivized to sell financing and you might be able to swing a deal on their financing if you have other options ready to go. Particularly if you have a strong credit score that will increase the value of an aggregate loan package for resale. The time I walked in with my own loan, they beat the interest rate once they learned what it was. The time I showed up with cash, they gave me a low rate and knocked the sale price even lower. A key point: Don’t tell them how you’re paying until you’ve settled a final sale price. And don’t be afraid to slow the negotiation down so that you can recalculate your costs - i.e., don’t just jump on the deal because they make you an offer. Note also that this may not be relevant to the OP’s situation, given his restrictions.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Jan 16th 2019 at 9:13 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Thanks, very experienced and comfortable buying used cars so I'm pretty vigilant.

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Best bet is to walk in able to make a cash offer, or with a loan ready to go from somewhere else. Dealers are strongly incentivized to sell financing and you might be able to swing a deal on their financing if you have other options ready to go. Particularly if you have a strong credit score that will increase the value of an aggregate loan package for resale. The time I walked in with my own loan, they beat the interest rate once they learned what it was. The time I showed up with cash, they gave me a low rate and knocked the sale price even lower. A key point: Don’t tell them how you’re paying until you’ve settled a final sale price. And don’t be afraid to slow the negotiation down so that you can recalculate your costs - i.e., don’t just jump on the deal because they make you an offer. Note also that this may not be relevant to the OP’s situation, given his restrictions.
Noted, thank you.