Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Buying new Ride on Mower. Most reliable?

Buying new Ride on Mower. Most reliable?

Old Jul 23rd 2018, 11:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying new Ride on Mower. Most reliable?

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Hire a service.
Not an option. As long as we are fit and able then we will take care of our own land ourselves. It is satisfying. ......even when it is triple digit degrees!
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 11:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hire a service.
Actually I love hiring our lawn guy whom we use when the mower is in for repair. He charges us only $70 for 3/4 of an acre just in the back and does our front lawn and our neighbor's. Does all the edging for both properties and blows and cleans up and bag all the clippings. And yes, he often works in 106 degree heat going it.

Living on retirement benefits and using mowing and edging and trimming as an alternative to a gym membership is better suited to us.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 23rd 2018 at 11:54 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 12:09 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Hire a service.
Exactly what OH said to me when I floated the idea for the new - considerably larger - garden.

Mind you, these things are horrendously expensive in Europe, so I didn't even bother to counter.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
If money was no object I would get a Walker . It has the deck out front and is a z-turn. It is such a royal PITA to clean the underside of the cutting deck or replace blades on riding mowers where the deck is centered. Walker mowers have a reputation for giving a nice cut.
They also have a collection bin for the grass clippings that is better designed than the bins that hang off the rear of standard Z-turns.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I hat to shatter people's illusions, but just about all of the mowers out there are made by just TWO manufacturers! If you look closely, you'll find the identical controls on them, just slightly different variations.

We have a Poulan Pro 48" tractor mower that I was going to sell when we bought a refurbished Cub Cadet Zero Turn 50", which I managed to pick up from HD for about $1500. The Poulan hasn't even been fired up in a few years, since I found out that the Cub WOULD fit through the door of the dog pen, which is why I kept it!

Point is, with good looking after (which I don't give mine!), any model should last several years.

P.S., we also have an acre in the Georgia heat, with some nasty slopes of which we have to be careful.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Consumer Reports had a recent article on mowers. It may be worth the OP taking a look at that.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I hat to shatter people's illusions, but just about all of the mowers out there are made by just TWO manufacturers! If you look closely, you'll find the identical controls on them, just slightly different variations.

We have a Poulan Pro 48" tractor mower that I was going to sell when we bought a refurbished Cub Cadet Zero Turn 50", which I managed to pick up from HD for about $1500. The Poulan hasn't even been fired up in a few years, since I found out that the Cub WOULD fit through the door of the dog pen, which is why I kept it!

Point is, with good looking after (which I don't give mine!), any model should last several years.

P.S., we also have an acre in the Georgia heat, with some nasty slopes of which we have to be careful.
What do you think of the zero return versus the tractor style?
When looking for a zero turn it’s a good idea to visit a dealer of commercial mowers like Gravely, Hustler, John Deere etc just to learn what to look for and what differentiates the residential and commercial types. The entry level models from the commercial manufactures can be a good choice and not much more in cost over the highly promoted residential only manufactures.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I rate the zero turn way above the tractor type, but it depends on personal choice as well as the ground it has to cover. Going from a 48" Tractor (actually, I think it's 42") to a 50" zero turn cut my mowing time in half!

Timely as mine is in the shop right now and my yard is like a jungle. I'm thinking I'll have to get a battery and fire up the tractor for the first time in a couple of years, just to keep the mess under somewhat control!
Old Jul 27th 2018, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

When going from tractor type to zero turn it’s best to start using the zero turn in a wide open area with nothing to run over. But in a short time they become very easy to control and make cutting grass seem less of a chore.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
We had a Sears Craftsman for over 20 years and it was maintained and babied along by M and served us well. Then we got drawn into the "John Deere is the best" clique and for the last 8 years have regretted it. Enough, it's time to find something that makes life easier. We have one acre to mow in Texas humidity and heat and we are getting older so reliability is a must. Probably looking at a "Z" turn (?) if that is the correct term.

So give me your experiences and any recommendations you might have or any for sure no-no's!
When we bought the JD we thought, going by the length of time the Craftsman lasted, that it would be the last one we ever bought. That hasn't worked out at all!
When it constantly breaks down half way through each cut and I see M pushing it back to the garage in 106 degree heat then it's time to spend some money.
So guess what his 65th birthday present will be in August!

So it's mowing season again. The John Deere is still in action, it has been fixed twice already this year just because some hard headed English guy refuses to give in and make his life easier with a new mower.

We will see what happens in August this year. A retirement gift, maybe?
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

We had a Sears Craftsman for over 20 years and it was maintained and babied along by M and served us well. Then we got drawn into the "John Deere is the best" clique and for the last 8 years have regretted it. Enough, it's time to find something that makes life easier. We have one acre to mow in Texas humidity and heat and we are getting older so reliability is a must. Probably looking at a "Z" turn (?) if that is the correct term.

So give me your experiences and any recommendations you might have or any for sure no-no's!
What I read was that the John Deere sold in the big box stores is not the same quality John Deere sold at landscape equipment dealers. I had a Deere for a few years, was definitely better than the MTD ride on, but once it developed mechanical issues it was not worth fixing it.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 4:06 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're just looking to mow, get a zero turn. My parents have 50+ acres and have been using a commercial-grade Husqvarna zero turn mower for years that they bought used. It's built to take abuse and be easy to maintain. I have mowed many acres with it, it's very comfortable and ergonomic and basically unstoppable. Super fun to use. They are expensive (a good used one will be $5k) , but you'll never have to think about it again.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hiro11
If you're just looking to mow, get a zero turn. My parents have 50+ acres and have been using a commercial-grade Husqvarna zero turn mower for years that they bought used. It's built to take abuse and be easy to maintain. I have mowed many acres with it, it's very comfortable and ergonomic and basically unstoppable. Super fun to use. They are expensive (a good used one will be $5k) , but you'll never have to think about it again.

Believe me, I know it is the answer. Life would be much easier. He knows it too but as long as he can keep fixing the JD he won't do it!

It might be sabotage time soon!
Old Mar 24th 2019, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

The next time you and your husband is in Lowes check out the yellow Hustler mowers. I mentioned them previously. Hustler makes a commercial line of Zero turn mowers and their residential (Raptor) line is also excellent. I like the 42 inch cut as it only has two blades and is more maneuverable than the larger ones. They have Kawasaki engines. A zero turn will reduce grass cutting time by half.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 12:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, I know it is the answer. Life would be much easier. He knows it too but as long as he can keep fixing the JD he won't do it!

It might be sabotage time soon!
There are a number of brands of commercial z-turn mowers and they are somewhat regional in both manufacture and/or distribution. Therefore the "best" one for you might be different from the best one for someone just a few miles away or in the next town, so I wouldn't waste much time trying track down some particular brand that some people are pushing, repeatedly.

Look for the local commercial landscaping equipment dealers and see what they are selling - it could be one of the brands discussed above, though I suspect not Cub Cadet, nor probably JD, but ones I have seen local to me are Scag, Bad Boy, and Dixie Chopper, and when I finally decide to replace my rapidly aging Craftsman, it will probably be one of those as they have a local dealer, not something recommended by someone 1,000 miles away.

FWIW most commercial mowers seem to have either a Kawasaki or a Kohler engine, and there doesn't appear to be much to choose between them - if they're ubiquitous in commercial mowers they're going to be reliable, powerful enough to get the job done, and easily serviceable.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2019 at 12:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.