Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Buying a new build house

Buying a new build house

Old Jul 20th 2018, 6:22 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a new build house

Is there an HOA? If so, is it under the control of the builders/contractors? Is it stacked with realtors and their buddies, who are hoping to use your cash to increase the value of their investments before they sell, leaving the remainder of the homeowners holding the bag?
Old Jul 20th 2018, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Is there an HOA? If so, is it under the control of the builders/contractors? Is it stacked with realtors and their buddies, who are hoping to use your cash to increase the value of their investments before they sell, leaving the remainder of the homeowners holding the bag?
As someone who is in the building trade and occasionally fits the odd high end kitchen (in second homes over seven figures so probably not what the OP will be looking at!) I could give all kinds of observations on shoddy builder workmanship compared to UK builders but will instead say that I will take shoddy materials/standards all day long over HOA's.
Our second place was a rented property in a Stepford style sub division, with an HOA controlled by wannabe Hitler's, just as we left the place they were requiring every property to pay for a new standardized $100 mailbox and $70 installation fee, non negotiable. I felt quite sorry for a lot of the people who had bought there over the two years that we were in there, many of them had only just replaced their old scabby mailboxes with the requisite Stepford white boxes - not a single one was the newly required nasty mock bronze monstrosity that the HOA had decided they now all needed.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 12:07 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Mwahahaha ... I'm in! Every HOA is different and laws etc depend on your state. It is common, that in the early stages of the development, the HOA is managed by the builder until a ratio is obtained whereupon it is turned over to the residents to run and maintain; at the end of the day, I would want to know the financial health, eg reserves, working capital etc. Common too, is bylaws prohibit non-occupant owners be on the board/management etc. Sometimes there may be restricted deeds and there are times where either limited amounts are sold to investors, or, not at all sold to them. Due to construction loans and costs of which, builders try to sell quickly (within reason) in the early days and then too, upon close-out phase. Bottom line - if you don't ask, you don't get. Its all negotiable and subject to local market conditions - around here, forget it ... years ago I could get properties under base price.

Remember, builder contracts are written in their favor ... so what are the legal outages w/o compromising earnest money (and what happens if they accidentally deposit it per se ( ) - can you review, object and resolve things? what are remedies if either party defaults? What title insurance is there (who is paying it), Is there a survey, or equivalent, being done? What will property taxes be? What is the HOA transfer fee and who pays it? - you don't want sudden surprises at the closing table. ..... and so on and so on ....... and I could go on like the Energizer Bunny.

OP, If you are headed out there over the weekend - try to talk to the neighbors/residents already there. If at all possible, see if you can go to the design center before engaging in contract discussions - get a feel of the product beforehand etc and puffed costs. Options and upgrades are profit margin items .. there are things which are not worth builder install vs you doing it yourself.

Last edited by Tarkak9; Jul 21st 2018 at 12:22 am.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
So, the time has finally arrived - the wife and I are looking to buy our first house together.

We've both decided we want to get a new build home.

Has anyone on here bought a new build from a house builder company? is there anything tips/tricks wise recommended on negotiating, or anything i can try to negotiate on? any best practices etc.

Advice welcomed.
Buy existing, new or used. Than condition the purchase on a building inspection. Want something tweaked? Remodel after purchase. Go through a realtor. A lot of wolves out there and you're a lamb.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
As someone who is in the building trade and occasionally fits the odd high end kitchen (in second homes over seven figures so probably not what the OP will be looking at!) I could give all kinds of observations on shoddy builder workmanship compared to UK builders but will instead say that I will take shoddy materials/standards all day long over HOA's.
Our second place was a rented property in a Stepford style sub division, with an HOA controlled by wannabe Hitler's, just as we left the place they were requiring every property to pay for a new standardized $100 mailbox and $70 installation fee, non negotiable. I felt quite sorry for a lot of the people who had bought there over the two years that we were in there, many of them had only just replaced their old scabby mailboxes with the requisite Stepford white boxes - not a single one was the newly required nasty mock bronze monstrosity that the HOA had decided they now all needed.
Keep in mind that the HOA is made up of ordinary residents and you can quite easily have influence over their actions by joining in. I bought my first Condo back in 1985 in San Francisco, and ended up being the president of the HOA within a year because no one wanted the responsibility. It was very easy to do things the way I wanted because almost no one attended any meetings.