Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Buying a foreclosure / short sale / etc

Wikiposts

Buying a foreclosure / short sale / etc

Old Aug 8th 2009, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a foreclosure / short sale / etc

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Thanks. The property is vacant already, and in very good shape 'visually' (inspection required to verify). Inspection is scheduled for next week. I won't be removing that contingency until the inspection is actually done.

My biggest concern is actually the Homeowner's Association. The reserves are not that great, and the property is old enough to be needing significant work in the upcoming years (roof, paint, etc). The mgmt co. told me the strategy is for 'special assessments', which the HOA have to approve by a 2/3rds majority. Given the current economy, not sure how easy it will be to get those approved. The good news is, being an older place, the 'population' of the development is pretty solid - only a small number of units changed hands in the last few years, so there aren't too many owners 'under water'. Lots of brand new developments have 100% of owners under water, or worse, have units still owned by the developer - who is bankrupt. I was president of the homeowners association back in my first condo in SF back in the '80s so I'm not a stranger to HOA issues.

The 'acceptance' documents presented to me show that both first and second lienholders are getting a share; the first holder is getting about 60% of their money back, and the second holder is getting about 10% of their money back. The paperwork suggests both acceptances are by debt collection agencies ..."this communication from a debt collector is an attempt to collect a debt...".

The property was 100% financed; total price back in 2006 was about $300k; first loan about 75% ($225k) and second was about 25% ($75k). So the 'first' guys are giving up about $7.5k to the 'second' guys.
I didn't think that debt collectors would be involved in home mortgages since AZ is a non-recourse state. Unless the mortgages were a refinance, the owner just returns the property and there is nothing to collect.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that if the first and second were both taken out at the same time as purchsae money mortgages which happened quite a bit back then, there should be no recourse but if the second was taken out after the first then there is recourse against the second defaulting mortgage.

Regards
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. The property is vacant already, and in very good shape 'visually' (inspection required to verify). Inspection is scheduled for next week. I won't be removing that contingency until the inspection is actually done.

My biggest concern is actually the Homeowner's Association. The reserves are not that great, and the property is old enough to be needing significant work in the upcoming years (roof, paint, etc). The mgmt co. told me the strategy is for 'special assessments', which the HOA have to approve by a 2/3rds majority. Given the current economy, not sure how easy it will be to get those approved. The good news is, being an older place, the 'population' of the development is pretty solid - only a small number of units changed hands in the last few years, so there aren't too many owners 'under water'. Lots of brand new developments have 100% of owners under water, or worse, have units still owned by the developer - who is bankrupt. I was president of the homeowners association back in my first condo in SF back in the '80s so I'm not a stranger to HOA issues.

The 'acceptance' documents presented to me show that both first and second lienholders are getting a share; the first holder is getting about 60% of their money back, and the second holder is getting about 10% of their money back. The paperwork suggests both acceptances are by debt collection agencies ..."this communication from a debt collector is an attempt to collect a debt...".

The property was 100% financed; total price back in 2006 was about $300k; first loan about 75% ($225k) and second was about 25% ($75k). So the 'first' guys are giving up about $7.5k to the 'second' guys.
This is your homeowners association's last meeting:

Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Did you say that this was Steerpike's old hoa? I think I recognize most of them but where is Steerpike in that photo op?
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Did you say that this was Steerpike's old hoa? I think I recognize most of them but where is Steerpike in that photo op?
Steerpike is about to bravely present them with his application for a new driveway.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought for a minute it was the upper management initiation ceremony at work.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Update - the whole deal went through about a month ago without any hitch - it was a remarkably simple, painless process. The banks accepted the deals, the closing happened, I got the keys. After all the stories I'd read about how bad the process could be, I was expecting a nightmare. So I ended up buying a beautiful 3 br/2 ba condo in a nice area of Scottsdale for about $150k - a property that sold for $300k three years ago. Now I get to watch the market and see if I made a huge mistake or not !

I'm now going to start the financing process, so I can pay off the line of credit I used to buy the place; but I'm in no hurry - the interest rate on my LOC is only 2.74% (it's based on something like 'prime minus 0.5%' or similar - pretty amazing.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news!!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:41 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Update - the whole deal went through about a month ago without any hitch - it was a remarkably simple, painless process. The banks accepted the deals, the closing happened, I got the keys. After all the stories I'd read about how bad the process could be, I was expecting a nightmare. So I ended up buying a beautiful 3 br/2 ba condo in a nice area of Scottsdale for about $150k - a property that sold for $300k three years ago. Now I get to watch the market and see if I made a huge mistake or not !

I'm now going to start the financing process, so I can pay off the line of credit I used to buy the place; but I'm in no hurry - the interest rate on my LOC is only 2.74% (it's based on something like 'prime minus 0.5%' or similar - pretty amazing.
brilliant
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Excellent. I'm sure you made the right choice.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Another update - I'm in the final stages of refinancing the place I bought last year. The appraisal came in at $135k - 15k lower than the price I paid ($150k). So the market is still pretty ugly!

I'm not really concerned, as I love the place, and the drop is not much. I don't see myself leaving any time soon, and there seems to be a decent rental market in my area. In fact, I'm looking to buy something bigger/better, and with prices continuing to fall, I may be able to do it. Still - the realities of this real-estate market are not pleasant!
Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just to keep anyone who is interested up to date ...

The refinance process did not complete until March of this year 2011; started in April 2010 !!!! It was the most frustrating process ever, but since I was in no hurry I just let it go on, partly enjoying the 'train wreck' of their process. All I can say is, if it took me a year, with my 800+ credit score and substantial income, I can see why the housing market is not getting off the starting line! As an example, 9 months into the process, they would ask for written explanations as to why I had an (eg) $2,000 deposit into my bank account (was an expense reimbursement for a business trip) ... crazy stuff.

I paid about 150k in 2009; last appraisal was about $125k, and there are 'short sales' in the complex for 100k. This was definitely not a good financial investment, in retrospect! Still happy to be here, though ...
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is compounded by the difficulty in obtaining condominium financing.

http://www.insidebiz.com/news/condo-...sy-proposition
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
This is compounded by the difficulty in obtaining condominium financing.

http://www.insidebiz.com/news/condo-...sy-proposition
There are problems other than those pointed out in the article. Banks may not finance a condo as owner occupied if the complex has more than a certain percentage of the units rented and therefore the financing may require a higher down payment and a higher interest rate.

In the current housing recession, many have problems selling their unit and decide to rent out their unit instead. In my current condo, the CC&R was recently amended so that only a certain number of units could be rented to keep the number of rentals below the percentage where banks would not offer owner occupied loans. However that was voted down because many in the complex are contemplating possibly renting out their unit in the future because of the poor housing market. However if the number of rental units exceed that percentage, it may become very difficult to sell the units even when the housing market improves.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.