Wikiposts

Buying a Car

Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of
Default Buying a Car

The family and I are hoping to arrive in the UK in April and hire a car for a week to get around. Lots to do in that week, finding a place to rent, get a school organised, etc. Can anyone tell me how quick the process is in buying a car. Obviously I won't be buying on credit as I have no credit history in the UK so it'll be cash up front (oh the luxury of have my pension pay out). Then of course the whole insurance bit and all. I hoping to be able to find a car within a day or two and take possession of it before I hand back the hire car. Is it possible?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying a Car

Originally Posted by Donna Allan
I hoping to be able to find a car within a day or two and take possession of it before I hand back the hire car. Is it possible?
Yes it's possible, I've done it twice since being back in the UK. Make sure you've got your insurance sorted before you drive it home though.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

Thanks FlyergirlUK. Did you have any problems with getting insurance? I've heard insurance can be really expensive if you're starting out with them with no history. Would it help do you think getting a letter of recommendation from our current insurance?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks FlyergirlUK. Did you have any problems with getting insurance? I've heard insurance can be really expensive if you're starting out with them with no history. Would it help do you think getting a letter of recommendation from our current insurance?
If you can prove you have 'no claims', most UK insurance companies will honour that, so something from a reputable insurance company you are currently using should help.

I'd have thought the only possible delay would be the dealer getting the car ready for you to drive it away - some want a day or so to prep it fully for sale etc once you've paid a deposit.

Good luck.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:28 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I had no problems with getting insurance for myself though it was more costly as I'd never previously had a policy in my own name but it was only that way for the first year. My husband, on the other hand, was more troublesome due to only having an American licence to begin with - getting a provisional was enough to quash that problem though.