British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Buying a car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/buying-car-293363/)

broma25 Mar 30th 2005 8:49 pm

Buying a car

Does anyone know if I can buy a car and insure it in PA with my UK and International drivers license or would I have to wait until I have a PA license to do this?

Thanks

Bob Mar 30th 2005 9:23 pm

Re: Buying a car

Originally Posted by broma25
Does anyone know if I can buy a car and insure it in PA with my UK and International drivers license or would I have to wait until I have a PA license to do this?

Thanks

Post in the lifestyle section and you'll probably get more help...

And it's an international permit, not a license, no good to you here unless your license is the old fashioned paper one, or not in English.

Hypertweeky Mar 30th 2005 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Post in the lifestyle section and you'll probably get more help...

And it's an international permit, not a license, no good to you here unless your license is the old fashioned paper one, or not in English.

Really? mine said international license on it!

Hypertweeky Mar 30th 2005 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by broma25

Thanks

Hey:)
You are buying a car? awesome!, You must be doing pretty good, congrats!:)
Sorry I can't answer your question.

Bob Mar 30th 2005 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Really? mine said international license on it!

depends where you get it from I guess, but the one's from blighty via the AA, there permits...no use in this country though.

And for insurance, State farm might be able to sort you out, but it'll be stupidly expensive until you get a local license, and then it'll only be expensive because of no driving history...

kwisking Mar 30th 2005 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
depends where you get it from I guess, but the one's from blighty via the AA, there permits...no use in this country though.

And for insurance, State farm might be able to sort you out, but it'll be stupidly expensive until you get a local license, and then it'll only be expensive because of no driving history...

I'm not sure about the international license thing but there are a few insurance companies that count UK driving history I believe AAA is one of them. Call around and get a copy of your UK driving history I'm sure someone will accept it.

Bob Mar 30th 2005 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by kwisking
I'm not sure about the international license thing but there are a few insurance companies that count UK driving history I believe AAA is one of them. Call around and get a copy of your UK driving history I'm sure someone will accept it.

That's marketing...they don't...