Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Business trip man 'deported from US because of skin colour'

Business trip man 'deported from US because of skin colour'

Old Jan 26th 2016, 3:31 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business trip man 'deported from US because of skin colour'

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Airlines authorised to fly into the US are required to take back anyone who is denied entry by CBP, the airlines have to sign up for that. Such situations are, I believe, often behind flights that are "over booked".
I'd assumed they could 'force' an available seat. It was more the 8-hours thing that struck me. Many routes only have one flight every 24 hours. Assuming that it might take longer than the aircraft's 2-3 hour turnaround for someone to get processed to the point of being 'booted' then there could be another day until the next flight on those routes.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The BBC has become a mere propaganda organ, pushing some UK-government agenda. Here in the Cayman Islands, they have just done a hatchet job on us that reeked of bias. OK, we're a tax haven and being slandered comes with the territory, but I'm old-codger enough to expect more integrity from the Beeb. Shame on them.
Given the antipathy between the Conservative government and the BBC, that made me chuckle. And what, pray, was the "UK-government agenda" being "pushed" by this article?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It's like the spy swaps of the cold war!

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...removal-centre
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:03 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

You can always trust the BBC to come up with something like that, some of it often half cocked, incomplete details included in background
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Even the Beeb isn't immune to clickbait these days. Sign of the times.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the BBC claiming he was denied entry to the US "because of his color"

They are quoting was Amreet Surana himself said.

Several news organisations have picked up on how, his words, he was treated “like dirt”

The guy was refused entry and has made it very publicly known it was all down to race.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:17 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, two minutes with Google and you can do more "journalistic research" than the writer of that article performed.
News story reports that A makes claim against B.

News story adds B's response or lack thereof to A's allegation.

This is standard journalism. The story doesn't take a side or investigate whether the claim or the defenses against the claim are true or false, it just reports what A and B had to say about it.

The funny thing about this is that you claim that the BBC is biased because it didn't attempt to discredit the claim. You don't realize that you are the one who is exhibiting bias since you are so eager to paint one of subjects of the story in a bad light.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked the bit about his intention to "appeal" the revocation of his ESTA ...
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:30 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'd assumed they could 'force' an available seat. It was more the 8-hours thing that struck me. Many routes only have one flight every 24 hours. Assuming that it might take longer than the aircraft's 2-3 hour turnaround for someone to get processed to the point of being 'booted' then there could be another day until the next flight on those routes.
When I 'withdrew my application to enter the US' back in the early 90's, there wasn't a flight on the airline I flew on for 2 days. Had I not had my children with me, I would have been detained. However, because they couldn't accommodate the boys they were going to place us under security at a local hotel. In the end, they took our passports and let us leave with my then boyfriend.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
.... In the end, they took our passports and let us leave with my then boyfriend.
Were they afraid you might leave the country?
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:02 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Were they afraid you might leave the country?
Now I think about it, were they legally entitled to take our British passports?
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've always wondered that. Coming back from the UK once I was asked for my British passport as my US passport had no stamp in it. It was a relatively new passport and I'd entered the UK on my British passport. I very much suspected that they thought I'd visited Cuba. I complied but wonder whether I could have legally refused. Of course, regardless of legality, they could have given me a lot of grief if I had.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the legalities of it and it was a TV show, but the Canadian show that follows CBSA around, has shown Canadian officers also taking passports of those they are going to remove, but the flight isn't til the next day and for whatever reason they decided not to detain the person.

Not sure if its the norm, or just done for TV.