Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Business trip man 'deported from US because of skin colour'

Business trip man 'deported from US because of skin colour'

Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:17 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Business trip man 'deported from US because of skin colour'

This has really pissed me off:

Business trip man 'deported from US because of skin colour' - BBC News

1) because he probably wasn't deported but was encouraged to withdraw his application to enter the country

2) it probably has nothing to do with the colour of his skin

3) border patrol are quite within their right to deny entry to anyone at any time if they don't think their application to enter is valid

4) border patrol aren't there to take care of you, they're there to take care of the US

5) the BBC's lack of research and sensational reporting

I was sent to secondary way back before I knew what I know now and, no it wasn't a nice experience but once I understood that I had the wrong visa and that my best option was to return to the UK and apply for the correct visa, everyone went about their business. It was frustrating and irritating because I was accused of all sorts of things, plus I had two small children with me who were dazed and confused. However, just because I didn't know the visa rules, didn't mean I had a right to enter the country.

Rant over. For now.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Business trip man 'deported from US because of skin colour'

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
This has really pissed me off:

Business trip man 'deported from US because of skin colour' - BBC News

1) because he probably wasn't deported but was encouraged to withdraw his application to enter the country

2) it probably has nothing to do with the colour of his skin

3) border patrol are quite within their right to deny entry to anyone at any time if they don't think their application to enter is valid

4) border patrol aren't there to take care of you, they're there to take care of the US

5) the BBC's lack of research and sensational reporting

I was sent to secondary way back before I knew what I know now and, no it wasn't a nice experience but once I understood that I had the wrong visa and that my best option was to return to the UK and apply for the correct visa, everyone went about their business. It was frustrating and irritating because I was accused of all sorts of things, plus I had two small children with me who were dazed and confused. However, just because I didn't know the visa rules, didn't mean I had a right to enter the country.

Rant over. For now.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

They probably thought he was going to be doing some work and therefore needed a B visa.
I suspect the BBC were playing the 'don't let the real facts get involved and spoil the story' lne.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Seems be a recurring theme with the Beeb at the moment.

K-Pop group Oh My Girl detained at LA airport on suspicion of being sex workers - BBC Newsbeat

Muslim family 'denied boarding' on flight to US from Gatwick - BBC News
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The sense of entitlement is amazing. no country has any obligation to admit any foreigner. Ever.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:31 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

"CBP officers offer food and water before boarding a return flight within eight hours of the traveller's arrival into the United States."
Wonder how they promise this. Do the CBP run an airline now?

But agreed - article overall smells of bollocks.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Wonder how they promise this. Do the CBP run an airline now?. .....
Airlines authorised to fly into the US are required to take back anyone who is denied entry by CBP, the airlines have to sign up for that. Such situations are, I believe, often behind flights that are "over booked".
Originally Posted by mikelincs
They probably thought he was going to be doing some work and therefore needed a B visa. .....
The rights to "work" on an ESTA/ VWP visit (training, meetings, negotiating, etc.) are identical to those on a B-1 visa. To truely "work" you would need an L-1 visa, or perhaps an E-2 if you and your employer meet the E-2 requirements.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2016 at 10:43 am.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 1:55 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that the British media's coverage of America might be a bit slanted? Perhaps that the contents of most any story about America in the British press can be perfectly predicted by considering "what interpretation of this topic, no matter how wild, will paint America in the worst possible light"? Shocking.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Amreet Surana
International Business Manager - Octavian
Phoenix, Arizona Area Management Consulting

International Business Manager
Octavian Security
April 2015 – Present (10 months)Worldwide
My role entails me working in a team environment to identify, prepare for and bring to closure new business opportunities.
My primary mission is to manage the development, finalization and submission of proposals, as well as strategies and business models for new business development at an organisational, regional and global level.
I provide leadership and play the central role in managing proposal-related processes and facilitating and overseeing teamwork necessary for development, completion and submission of all deliverables.
I am responsible for ensuring that the final proposal, strategy and business model is pro-grammatically sound and responsive to our objectives, requirements and advances new business development priorities.
I work in close collaboration with the CEO Sukhi Ghuman, business development and operational teams. I work across the globe primarily in the Middle East, Africa, Europe and North America.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see what's particularly wrong about the article. It's very careful to attribute claims about the US's actions to the individual involved, and even the headline text 'deported from US because of skin colour' is quoted rather than stated as fact.

Is it newsworthy at all? Probably not, but this is regional news from Leicester, and regional news tends to be full of "news" stories of dubious news value. And I do agree that some basic research would have revealed the likely reason for his non-admittance.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 26th 2016 at 2:37 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't see what's particularly wrong about the article. ....
The five things listed by C'n'S, for starters. A pi$$-poor piece of journalism. The BBC should be ashamed.

Oh, and you can't just wrap a few words in quotation marks and use that as an excuse for not doing some investigation to back up your journalistic writing.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The five things listed by C'n'S, for starters. A pi$$-poor piece of journalism. The BBC should be ashamed.

Oh, and you can't just wrap a few words in quotation marks and use that as an excuse for not doing some investigation to back up your journalistic writing.
To be fair it is not that unusual. A minute would have found out the CEO sic seems to have used the UK company to move to the US and then sold it.

And his background is organising car repairs for a rental company.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC has become a mere propaganda organ, pushing some UK-government agenda. Here in the Cayman Islands, they have just done a hatchet job on us that reeked of bias. OK, we're a tax haven and being slandered comes with the territory, but I'm old-codger enough to expect more integrity from the Beeb. Shame on them.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 3:07 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The story notes that an allegation is made, and includes a response from the supposed offender.

This is standard stuff and there is nothing wrong with that. When a media outlet reports that A is suing B for allegedly doing C, do you assume that the media is taking A's side because it told you about it?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
To be fair it is not that unusual. A minute would have found out the CEO sic seems to have used the UK company to move to the US and then sold it.

And his background is organising car repairs for a rental company.
Exactly, two minutes with Google and you can do more "journalistic research" than the writer of that article performed.

The CEO of a local company was quoted repeatedly by the local rag in Charlotte bragging about how his company didn't outsource work to India. I don't know if the CEO was deliberately lying, but it's a pity the sorry-excuses-for-journalists didn't spend even 30 seconds with Google, because it didn't even take that long to find the address of two buildings in India employing several hundred people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.