Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Building Credit, and I doing it right or wrong?

Building Credit, and I doing it right or wrong?

Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building Credit, and I doing it right or wrong?

My mortgage was manually underwritten and didn't need a credit score.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 11:41 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Several things, but the main problem is that he encourages people to invest through his network of financial advisers, who often charge really high fees.
I have never heard him do that, only offering the service for people that are not comfortable. He does like to state that your adviser should have a teacher mentality rather than a salesman mentality, but I have never heard him expressly say 'only use these people'

Perhaps I dismiss it, but he is after all trying to make a living, and payments from that network are a large share of what earns him money. He;s hardly an altruist. You just have to apply common sense to his points, they do not all apply to everyone in every situation.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
My recommendation is to stop using them all together and forget about your 'I love debt' score. I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey, and performed plastic surgery on my cards some time ago.
Wow, this thread escalated while I was away! I would trust me. In the UK I had a 1000gbp Credit Card that I only used for online purchases, never had more than a $500 bill for that. Unfortunately in the US EVERYTHING is based off credit. Even your utility providers check your credit! So in the 2 years since I moved I spent a year trying to get a job then in the last year I bought a used car on finance and a house. All of which are hugely affected by how good your credit rating is, which is the sad truth.

As I say I pretty much before only used my credit card for online purchases, but with them being less than a hundred a month my credit score would never go up.

Originally Posted by tom169
​​​​​​I agree, unfortunately we are in the minority. We own 2x$10,000 cars and they're both absolutely fine and safe.
I have a $4000 beater and recently bought my wife a 2 year old car. That said, that will be in the family 15 years plus. WHen she is done with it, it will become my beater so it makes it worth it.

Originally Posted by KK85
It's a lovely idea, and wonderful if it can work for you. I lived debt-free in the UK (aside for student loans). But my husband and I, for example, are not in any position to be able to afford to buy a car outright, no matter their price, and I've struggled to get by without one. We live seven miles from the city where I work, and the public transport is diabolical. So, if I have any hope of being independent where we live, I'll need to finance a car, and I feel lucky to have that option available to me. The credit card I have was a necessity in order to start a credit history so that, one day, I could finance a car. My point is that for some of us - and I appreciate there is some irony in this - living without accumulating any debt is a grand idea, but unrealistic if we're aiming to move up in the world in any way. I think it's okay to strike a comfortable balance between having no debt, and having a manageable amount for a little while, so long as you are responsible.
Exactly, everyone is different. Certain things like cars are more expensive over here too and as I had very little in assets in the UK (Sold my car for $400, my house was a rental) so in the 12 months I was job hunting I used up most of my savings buying a car and paying bills.

Depends what you mean by 'move up in the world' - that sounds like living beyond your means to me. IMO opinion, the only reasonable debt is a mortgage, and that's because it's financing an appreciating asset. Financing a car is ok, but you must be able to take the hit on the depreciation, and not have more than 50% of yearly income invested in it - that way if you lose your job it doesn't become a noose around your neck.
Agreed, the only debts I have are a house and a car. I could have bought my wife a beater, but I won't have my wife and daughter driving something that could break down no matter how well maintained (I'm an engineer/mechanic so do all my own maintenance). For me a monthy payment is worth the peace of mind.

I have no intention to live beyond my means, though I am quite aware that many people do. What I meant by 'move up in the world', to use my specific circumstances as an example, was having an ability to transport myself to a job that has career prospects and utilizes my skills. Without my own transport, I am limited to work for the businesses within walkable distance of my home (they are mostly dollar shops and pizza restaurants, which are fine, but not exactly dream work), or that exist on the bus route that runs through my neighbourhood. Many of the better job opportunities in my area are either three bus rides and as many hours away, or cannot be reached by public transport at all. My husband can only drive me around so much as he also has a job to get to, and his hours are not the same as mine. For several months, I was stuck in my office until 11pm every night because the buses stop running at 7, and I had to wait for my husband to collect me. It wasn't sustainable. So I guess as much as you see a mortgage as an asset, I see my working life as one as well, and in order to have a better working life, I need a car. It would take me years to save up to purchase a car, and I can't save money if I don't earn any surplus, and round and round the cycle goes. Hence the preference to finance.

Edited to add: re. your comments about car depreciation, which are of course very valid: this is why I'll be financing a cheap run-around that I'll eventually be happy to sell on for pennies, if anything.
See, I would rather buy a $2k car and run it until it dies (which I do - 2003 Mazda Protege) and not have a payment. When that dies, I'll buy another cheap car until I can save up to pay cash for something more expensive.

The average car payment is now $505. Put that in a Roth IRA for 35 years and get a decent rate of return and it's millions of $. I don't like cars to the tune of $millions.

I would encourage anyone to look at Dave Ramseys Youtube channel.
I am a strong advocate for beaters/bangers. In the UK the most expensive daily driver I ever bought was $900 and every car I had lasted me at least 3 years but most were 4. There's something extremely liberating about having a car you don't care about, care if it gets dinged in the car part or it gets dirty. The last car I had was a 2001 Ford Mondeo and I paid 400 for it in 2011, put 60,000 miles on it in 4 years and sold it when I emigrated for 400! However in KK85's case I can see the sense in financing. I had 2 cars in the UK, the Mondeo and a 2005 Mini Cooper S JCW that was my fun/weekend toy. For what I sold that for I bought a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe with 182k on the clock that needed a service (ok, tune up to use the parlance of our country!) timing belt and an AC compressor. I'm lucky that I could do the work myself (the timing belt alone was a $1500 job at a garage) but I'd never expect my wife to have a car like that. Plus you have to take into account your time for repairing a car. For me a beater works, but for my wife I'm happy to make monthly payments. Her car doubles up as the family/road trip car too.

If I had $2K to drop on a car and not be stuck with a monthly payment, believe me, I would. I aspire to your way of doing things, and am generally an advocate of living without debt as much as possible - hopefully, one day, I will be able to do so wholly. It's just not an immediate option for me, while getting to and from work is an immediate need. Perhaps that is our grey area here. For some of us a bit of debt is a necessary stepping stone, and let's hope we all use the luxury briefly and wisely.

As an aside, I am shocked by that $505 figure! There is not a frilly chance in hell you'd ever catch me paying $505 per month on a car.

I will check out Dave Ramsey's channel.
As I said above, beaters aren't for everyone. If you keep a financed car long enough it becomes worthwhile. As I said above, my wifes 2015 Escape will be in the family until it dies. My loan is $434 a month but that's mainly because I only put $1000 down. I actually overpay it each month with the intention of getting it paid off a year, or even 2 years early. I saved over $10k off buying the car new so it was worth it to me.

That said, I REALLY want a Bullitt Mustang, but refuse to pay $800 a month on a car!

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The reality of moving to the USA for most of us is that we have to finance a car somehow. Personally, I would not advocate a $2k car - you are just asking for that to break down when you need it and have an expensive repair bill to cope with.
Sounds like you are doing ok with the credit cards - it does actually take some time for the credit to build and if you don't use credit, it won't. Getting a $5-$10k loan for a car, makes sense, you get a decent car (not new, so depreciation is minimised), you're paying it off every month and your credit score goes up.
I always pay off my credit card each month, both of my kiddoes are authorised users on one and sometimes, it goes right up to the limit and I don't see a drop in my credit score. I just pay it off.
FWIW - a mortgage advisor told me that having 4 lines of credit is the optimum, at least when getting a mortgage. Keep up to date with payments, never be late and you should be ok.
Dave Ramsey??? Nah. Old hat. Look at MrMoneyMustache and YNAB.
Thank you Petit. As I say I'm a huge advocate of beaters, but it seems in the US you have to pay $4-5K to get something remotely relaible. Especially in the Midwest with the salty winters. I've seen cars I wouldnt even sit in, let alone drive! I do think MOT's would be beneficial here lol.

Yup, my CC is paid in full each month too. I did hear that 3 or 4 lines was optimal from my mortgage advisor, but he said that the advice I got from another, which was to use a mortgage as a 4th line of credit, was awful. He did say that of all your credit lines though, a Mortgage is the one that really stings you if you have a late payment.

The maths doesn’t support your conclusion. Even if I spend $2k fixing my $2k car, I’ve still spent less than your $5k car and have no debt! Meanwhile you’re making payments.

You cannot expect an ROI on a vehicle unless it’s a classic or super car. Therefore, it makes sense to spend as little as possible.

​​​​​​​i used to live with car payments, but then I actually realized what I was costing myself so vowed never to have another.
I agree and disagree. As said earlier I'm a huge fan of bangernomics but for some people a monthly payment is more convenient. Plus for my wife, I pay a monthly payment for peace of mind it brings. My beater does the job, but it requires a lot more upkeep.

I agree with this. Those of us who emigrate to be with an already resident spouse are very lucky - we have a softer landing spot, and someone to not only show us the ropes but to lean on financially/materially until we have found our feet. Without my husband and in-laws being kind enough to pick me up and collect me, I'd not have been able to get to/from my first job here without a 60 minute walk each way along a highway that, at the time, was shrouded in snow and ice. And without that job, I'd not have been able to afford to finance a car, let alone purchase one outright. Therefore, a credit score is necessary. And not only to finance a car - without a credit score, how are we supposed to rent a property, let alone get a mortgage? For most of us, we have to put ourselves in debt before we can reasonably expect to build any quality of life - perhaps there is a flaw in the system there. The lifestyle civilservant and tom169 have given a nod toward, while a great aspiration, is only attainable if one has saved/inherited money to begin with. It's not realistic for those of us who are just starting out and/or who have a more humble disposable income.

This is another very valid perspective, which I appreciate hearing (and need to hear - I truly have very little clue about cars to begin with. This makes complete sense to me).

Thank you for these pointers, too! I will take a look at all of these resources.
Well said. I know someone who moved here in 2001 and for what they sold their assets for in the UK they bought a house and some nice cars here so credit score is unimportant to them. That's great but very few 30 year olds emigrate with enough money to buy a house and cars outright.

80% of millionaires in the US are first generation. I came to the US with $4k in my pocket and a wife who had debt, trust me, it's do able.

Your biggest wealth building asset is your income. If you are giving it all to the bank every month, you will NEVER save and build wealth. It's impossible.
I started another thread here not long ago when I was down in the dumps about my finances, and it was actually brought to my attention that I was doing very well. I max out my retirement and HSA, and at least 10% of my pay per month goes straight into a savings acc. I have no debt other than a car and house. A coworker of mine has a $35k truck loan, a $150k mortgage and $100k student loans!

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Wrong. If you buy a $2k car and spend $2k in repairs you do not have a cat worth $4k, you have a $2k car with the start of many repair bills.
A car cannot be considered an investment, it is an expense necessary for living in the USA.
The answer is to live within a reasonable distance of work so that you can walk/bike or use public transportation.
OP i have recently bought an ebike to replace some of my car usage, it's fab!
As I said earlier, it's also the hassle of repairs that you have to factor in. My beater does the job but a few times in the last year I've borrowed my wifes car to go to work because something broke. And I don't neglect my cars.

I agree that it is the reality for many, even if it shouldn't be. I used to be that person (especially with cars) who drove something nice for, as much as anything, the prestige. Like Ramsey says - you drive something you can't afford, to impress people you'll never meet (at a stop sign), or people you don't really like. It's stupid.

I don't pretend that I am quite there yet (the wifes debt is still to be overcome!) but we have paid off $25k in 12 months and have about another 6 to go to be debt free. The more you cut, the faster it goes.

You aren't going to get back what you put into the car anyway, so my way still saves you $1k.
I'm a car guy, so I will be splashing out $30-40K on a Mustang in a few years, but that's not to impress anyone. I'm getting it because it's my dream car. Great job on nailing down the debt! I'm overpaying on my wifes car at the moment, so hoping to have it paid off in 3-4yrs max instead of 5 yrs. My beater is starting to get tired so I'm at the debating point of the moment of whether to replace it while it;s worth something or run it into the ground then scramble around for a replacement.

Originally Posted by tom169
I saved up cold hard cash in the bank prior to moving. You know... Planning ahead.
Originally Posted by lizzyq
While a UK university student this would have been harder to do, I know the OP was planning ahead and saving as much as she could in her circumstances while also trying to minimise her student debt. Everybody's circumstances are different, yours sound like you had more opportunity to put money away.
Exactly. So did I, but then it took me a year to find a job. Even with my wife working part time, it ate most of my savings. How do you plan for that? Also as I said early, it's extremely unlikely that anyone would have enough saved to buy a new car, let alone a house outright. That said I bought my beater outright when I moved.

Originally Posted by Rete
As a young adult, I was able to build credit quickly with store charges and then in 1972 hubby and I applied for our first car loan. A 1972 Datsun station wagon. Cost was well under $10,000 and we financed it through GEICO as hubby was a federal employee. After that and our divorce it was only used cars for me until 2001. If I had the bills in front of me, I would probably discover that I paid the same plus more than what I paid for the used car to keep it up and running, often finding myself stranded somewhere when it broke down. In 2001, I could once again afford to by new and have done only that since then. I've never paid more than $18,000 for a new car. I like Hyundai and they are inexpensive. I buy sedans not SUVs or four wheel drives. I lived just outside NYC and know how to drive in 6 to 10 inches of snow without the need for 4 wheel drive or studded tires, etc. I would only buy new when I got 0% financing and I put down at least 1/2 the price of the car upfront. The choice is there to buy new or pre-owned/used so that the buyer can make the choice their wish.

As for building credit, don't know why Harvey has not called his credit company and asked for a larger increase in available credit since the ratio between used and unused will positively affect his credit scoring. Also don't know why it is so important anyway since he already has a mortgage, is not over extended, lives within his means, etc. Unless he wants to be purchasing something expensive in the near future, i.e. travel plans, home improvements, he either needs to ask for more credit or look into obtaining a different card with a high limit and cancelling out the first one.
I would like to buy Sedans, but have an SUV because we can't buy estate cars over here (wagons). I like the versatility of folding down the rear seats. I've even put my go kart in the back of mine!

Regarding credit. I'm not stressing but had no idea I could ask my credit company for an increase in credit. The last time I enquired about they I was told they only review it every x months and I couldn't bring that forward. It isn't important in the grand scheme of things, I just want to have an acceptable credit score and wasn't sure if it just took a lot of time or if I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Personally I still go the new car route because the peace of mind of knowing your wife and kids are unlikely to break down when they leave the house is worth it to me, that and the fact work pays for one of my vehicles. If you really want to save money don't have kids, they cost a lot of money that you'll never get back and stop you from driving beaters.
My reasoning exactly. I have a beater, the wife does not. When her car becomes a beater it shall become mine!
Old Jan 25th 2019, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to follow up this thread to say that more score is slowly improving (I guess it just takes time) and last week I got offered an upgrade to a cashback credit card with my current provider (Capital One), so things are looking up!
Old Jan 25th 2019, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I put everything on my credit card and pay it off immediately.
The points pay for my international holiday every year with plenty left over.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 12:44 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I put everything on my credit card and pay it off immediately.
The points pay for my international holiday every year with plenty left over.

for the first time, I used my card enough to get bonus
airmiles from BA chase to get a flight + accompanying flight. DD and I will be using this later in the year.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Mclearg is an unknown quantity at this point

All the questions I was going to ask - great thread!
Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

samills610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering which credit score company people use. I have been here a month now, though only settled in an apartment for 2 weeks, but was wondering if I would register for a credit score yet. I was able to obtain an $8,000 limit amex credit card which I use for everything as well as a smaller credit card through HSBC, due to existing relationships with each, so hoping that I'm in a better starting position than most.

I just tried 3 different sites but had 3 different blocks preventing me from even seeing if I would register for a credit score:

- Mint: HSBC bank is blocked so couldnt connect it
- Experian: As I have been at my address less than 6 months it asks for a previous address, but does not allow non USA addresses
- Credit Karma: Requests the last 4 digits of my SSN which annoyingly I still don't have

Am I best waiting until I receive my SSN and then trying again with Credit Karma? Are there any other alternative options that anybody is aware of?

Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samills610
Just wondering which credit score company people use. I have been here a month now, though only settled in an apartment for 2 weeks, but was wondering if I would register for a credit score yet. I was able to obtain an $8,000 limit amex credit card which I use for everything as well as a smaller credit card through HSBC, due to existing relationships with each, so hoping that I'm in a better starting position than most.

I just tried 3 different sites but had 3 different blocks preventing me from even seeing if I would register for a credit score:

- Mint: HSBC bank is blocked so couldnt connect it
- Experian: As I have been at my address less than 6 months it asks for a previous address, but does not allow non USA addresses
- Credit Karma: Requests the last 4 digits of my SSN which annoyingly I still don't have

Am I best waiting until I receive my SSN and then trying again with Credit Karma? Are there any other alternative options that anybody is aware of?

Thanks
You will not get anywhere without your SSN. That is the key for credit monitoring.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 2:37 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
You will not get anywhere without your SSN. That is the key for credit monitoring.
+1
why don't you have it?
Old Mar 12th 2019, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samills610
Just wondering which credit score company people use. I have been here a month now....
I may have missed a message where you first discussed this. Do you need a score for something specific?
Either way it will develop through time and grow higher with efficient use of your credit. Doesn't take too long. 3 - 6 months to be usable.

Incidentally, I have Chase and Wells Fargo accounts, they both provide FICO credit scores. I think I'm around 824 at the moment.

You don't have a SSN?
Old Mar 15th 2019, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

samills610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, my SSN has arrived now - I was just trying to do everything in the first few weeks or arrival and it was delayed (It never arrived in the first 3 weeks and so I had to actually visit in person, fortunately it arrived only a few days afterwards)

Plan is to build credit ahead of buying our first house, though not for probably 18 months or so. Just trying to ensure I am in a strong position as possible rather than doing nothing now and then worrying about it two months ahead of when I would require a good score.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good.
Paying for things on credit and then paying off the bill almost immediately is very productive. As mentioned I rarely carry cash, that's what Mrs. H is for, everything is on the card. Shows you're a safe bet.

Also, get as much credit as you can, but under-utilizing it is good also. It shows you're not desperate for it. Therefore safe.

I've not followed all your comments but there are some excellent deals for cards that give points/rewards/air miles.
And the big no, no is to miss payments of course. Generally that will tank you. (There are exceptions.)

If you follow these principles, and ask your card provider to raise your limit every so often, you should have a healthy credit rating in 18 months.

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 15th 2019 at 8:53 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 10:46 pm
Austin. TX.

If you plan on buying a house then your best bet might be to approach Wells Fargo, Chase and Bank of America soon. They all have international mortgage programs that basically assume you have good credit from your home credit ( they will ask for lots of financial statements from you going back 2 or 3 years to back it up).
However, most close the door on these programs at 12 months. And usually it's better to contact them sooner rather than later. It can take a while to get the all the information to them to assess.