Bud Light

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:21 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bud Light

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Geez, the story gets worse and worse...
at some places thats the 2 weeks' notice.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The difference between a domestic Stella and a Bud is nothing compared to the difference between Bud and a proper Pilsner like Victory Prima Pils or Paulaner. Yes, Stella is ever so slightly better, but why not get a real beer?
Have to give you a yellow card there. Bud is a proper pilsner, just a different type. "tasty" would have been a better term.

I would also like to point out to everyone that the brewers at Anheuser-Busch, Coors and Miller are extremely talented, more so than a number of brewers at microbreweries. You try making close to 9 billion gallons of beer that fits into 40 or so strict taste profiles. If you're like me, chances are that you can't make 2 cups of tea that taste the same let alone millions. They just have to follow some not so hot recipes for the most part.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:54 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Have to give you a yellow card there. Bud is a proper pilsner, just a different type. "tasty" would have been a better term.

I would also like to point out to everyone that the brewers at Anheuser-Busch, Coors and Miller are extremely talented, more so than a number of brewers at microbreweries. You try making close to 9 billion gallons of beer that fits into 40 or so strict taste profiles. If you're like me, chances are that you can't make 2 cups of tea that taste the same let alone millions. They just have to follow some not so hot recipes for the most part.
Exactly! You have to give them credit for having a consistent product that's quite hard to brew. Clarity for a pale blond beer is hard to manufacture in the massive amount they do. My goodness, just walk into the fermentation building and you'll see huge tanks stored 8 high in a large building. It's quite a task. If any kudos are to be handed over to AB from foreign brewers is the consistency in product.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:00 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Pilsners don't have any rice in them and they sure as hell aren't "Beechwood aged".

You have a point, consitency (even consistently bad) is extremely difficult to do.

The macro brewers can easily make decent brews when they want to. Ever had a Demon's Hop Yard IPA? How about a Stone Face Ale? Even a Michelob Bock is definitely drinkable.

Also, on a hot day, I'll freely admit that Bud goes extremely well with a nice backyard-grilled burger.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:03 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Pilsners don't have any rice in them and they sure as hell aren't "Beechwood aged".

You have a point, consitency (even consistently bad) is extremely difficult to do.

The macro brewers can easily make decent brews when they want to. Ever had a Demon's Hop Yard IPA? How about a Stone Face Ale? Even a Michelob Bock is definitely drinkable.

Also, on a hot day, I'll freely admit that Bud goes extremely well with a nice backyard-grilled burger.
It's classified as a Pale Lager.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:09 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god - don't you join in!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:10 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Exactly! You have to give them credit for having a consistent product that's quite hard to brew. Clarity for a pale blond beer is hard to manufacture in the massive amount they do.
I've peed that colour for 37 years. Do I win a prize?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:12 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Pilsners don't have any rice in them and they sure as hell aren't "Beechwood aged".
As I understand it, a Pilsner is defined by its fermentation process and the softness of the water, not so much by its other ingredients. So Budweiser could be a pilsner-style lager, even if it isn't a very good one.

Budweiser was crafted in the 19th century based upon Busch's travels through Bohemia. (Budweis was the German name for the town of Ceske Budejovice.) When he started using rice to brew it, I don't know, but I would imagine that it tasted a lot better when he first began to make it that it does today.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:17 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO German's make the best beer...fresh ingredients delivered right to the basement door of the pub...x amount of time later....beautiful, smooth, clean and crisp weiss bier in your hand..sweet...
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:23 pm
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by tonrob
I've peed that colour for 37 years. Do I win a prize?
No. You win the record for the longest piss ever. Thirty seven years of pissing, WOW!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:25 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Thirty seven years of pissing, WOW!
Neat trick, for him to type all of this while standing upright.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, thinking about it you're right. However, the "beechwood aged" thing is one of the biggest marketing coups in the history of advertising. Yes, Budweiser is aged on beechwood chips but the chips are boiled for hours to remove all flavor before they are used and the only reason they use them is to flocculate the yeast out quicker to save time on the fermenting process and the time between fermentations. It adds nothing to the taste.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:29 pm
Riding on silver wings

Actually, thinking about it you're right. However, the "beechwood aged" thing is one of the biggest marketing coups in the history of advertising. Yes, Budweiser is aged on beechwood chips but the chips are boiled for hours to remove all flavor before they are used and the only reason they use them is to flocculate the yeast out quicker to save time on the fermenting process and the time between fermentations. It adds nothing to the taste.
Where did you get the information about them boiling the chips. I've never seen facilities in the factory to do just that. Site your source DR!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:39 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by tonrob
Different recipe perhaps? I certainly enjoyed it more in Ireland than the couple of times I had it over here.
Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe I was talked into believing it (although I was actually quite skeptical about it being true.) FWIW, it seemed to me to have a mellower, smoother flavor in Ireland than I had found elsewhere.

This blogger claims that a Guinness rep says its true, and attributes it to freshness and better upkeep of the lines. But whether that's accurate, I don't know: http://blog.jonudell.net/2007/11/22/...er-in-ireland/
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
As I understand it, a Pilsner is defined by its fermentation process and the softness of the water, not so much by its other ingredients. So Budweiser could be a pilsner-style lager, even if it isn't a very good one.
Eh, styles are weird things. People like to give labels things and that doesn't work too well with beer. Really, a pilsner by definition should be a beer from Pilsn just like Dortmunder should be a beer from Dortmund. Pilsner Urquell was the first pilsner so that became the standard, and to be really picky the ingredients do matter as does the water. German Pilseners were originally knock offs and have stayed that way and when Americans started brewing them things got weird. There are 3 reasonable widely used Pilsener sub categories and each define what the style should be. Bohemian Pilsner, German Pilsener and Classic American Pilsener.

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty then check out the BJCP style guidelines. Not a world standard but they are widely used, especially in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.