Bud Light

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bud Light

Mmmmm give me a nice vaasje of Heineken straight from the tap, or even better, a Palm.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:01 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Well I wouldn't describe Heineken as full-bodied, more like fizzy water. Hoegaarden has more body that Heineken. Oh and I've never thought of Guinness as having a chocolate flavour, however, this is a country that classes Hersheys as chocolate, so anything is possible I guess...

Get yourself some Spaten of a nice Bock if you want something with body
It's always the beers with the most marketing clout behind them that tend to be the weakest examples of their type due to them often being "dumbed down" so as to minimize the risk of offending anyone's pallette.

Stella, Heineken - both (marginally) better than Bud but still piss poor examples of European pilsner-type lagers. Practically any Pils from Germany is far nicer.

Hoegaarden - not bad but plenty of better wheat beers out there, Belgian or German.

Guinness - you get my drift.

The great thing about the US craft beer scene is that there are many, many faithful reporoductions of European styles (and a few interesting unfaithful ones) that, with a few exceptions, do a better job of it than the imported so-called "premium" brands.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:04 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Well I wouldn't describe Heineken as full-bodied, more like fizzy water.
Exactly, I'll never understand why people like that stuff, it's indistinguishable from Bud and usually skunked as a result of the green bottle anyway.
Hoegaarden has more body that Heineken.
Hoegaarden is 10 times the beer Heineken is. They have it on tap at my local place. Awesome brew for mainstream stuff.
Oh and I've never thought of Guinness as having a chocolate flavour, however, this is a country that classes Hersheys as chocolate, so anything is possible I guess...
Guiness tastes like crap here. Luckly, there are plenty of great micro stouts that are easy to find, though.

Get yourself some Spaten of a nice Bock if you want something with body
Spaten is awesome if you can find a fresh bottle, but it's often skunked by the time you buy it here. Sadly, the same is true of most import lagers, pilsners, bocks and porters. They don't seem to travel well.

Ayinger Celebrator is an amazing German dopplebock that's easy to find around here and seems to survive the journey a little better.

Also, Carling, Harp, Stella and Newcastle Brown are essentially indistinguishable from Budweiser, IMO. maybe the versions they sell in the UK are different than the domestic versions, but they are all exactly the same in taste over here.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:06 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Exactly, I'll never understand why people like that stuff, it's indistinguishable from Bud and usually skunked as a result of the green bottle anyway. Hoegaarden is 10 times the beer Heineken is. They have it on tap at my local place. Awesome brew for mainstream stuff. Guiness tastes like crap here. Luckly, there are plenty of great micro stouts that are easy to find, though.

Spaten is awesome if you can find a fresh bottle, but it's often skunked by the time you buy it here. Sadly, the same is true of most import lagers, pilsners, bocks and porters. They don't seem to travel well.

Ayinger Celebrator is an amazing German dopplebock that's easy to find around here and seems to survive the journey a little better.

Also, Carling, Harp, Stella and Newcastle Brown are essentially indistinguishable from Budweiser, IMO. maybe the versions they sell in the UK are different than the domestic versions, but they are all exactly the same in taste over here.
Hiro11, do you smoke? I can actually tell the difference between a Budweiser and a Stella. Stella being the better one.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:11 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Hiro11, do you smoke? I can actually tell the difference between a Budweiser and a Stella. Stella being the better one.
The difference between a domestic Stella and a Bud is nothing compared to the difference between Bud and a proper Pilsner like Victory Prima Pils or Paulaner. Yes, Stella is ever so slightly better, but why not get a real beer?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

What an absolute load of utter bollocks. If you cant taste the difference between a Budweiser and Newcastle brown ale (even a US bottle of Newcastle ) then you need to go see a Doctor to get your taste buds sorted out. Either that or actually drink some and find that the quoted statement above is ridiculous.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:15 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between a domestic Stella and a Bud is nothing compared to the difference between Bud and a proper Pilsner like Victory Prima Pils or Paulaner. Yes, Stella is ever so slightly better, but why not get a real beer?
Just seeking clarification because you said you couldn't tell the difference which I find quite odd.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Some don't know much about the classes of beer. I'm more of a pale lager which is what Budweiser falls into. However I've been known to sip on a nice full bodied European lager like Heineken or St. Pauli Girl. They might not be the premium brands but they do have more flavor guaranteed. I've tasted Guinness and not really keen on something that THAT much flavor although it's got a a great chocolate flavor to it.
Are you sure it was Guinness? I would never in a million years describe it as a chocolate flavour.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 22nd 2008 at 4:25 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:17 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I think his point is a bit like saying why quibble over two Windows PCs that are very similar (even though one is probably slightly better than the other one) when there's an Apple store around the corner!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:19 pm
I approved this message

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
What an absolute load of utter bollocks. If you cant taste the difference between a Budweiser and Newcastle brown ale (even a US bottle of Newcastle ) then you need to go see a Doctor to get your taste buds sorted out. Either that or actually drink some and find that the quoted statement above is ridiculous.
Have you ever had a domestic, Foster's-brewed Newkie Brown? night and day compared to the UK-brewed stuff. You can get both in my local liquor store.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:19 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you sure it was Guiness? I would never in a million years think it has a chocolate flavour.
It's usually a combination of the dark colour, consistency and bitterness in stouts that people find akin to chocolate. Some stouts are actually marketed on this basis (and some actually have chocolate thrown into the mix to boot!)
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:21 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Guiness tastes like crap here. Luckly, there are plenty of great micro stouts that are easy to find, though.
Guinness does not travel well. I had heard this from others and didn't believe it until I saw it for myself.

But it is much, much better in Ireland than it is anywhere else. Night and day difference -- here, it's akin to drinking motor oil, but in Ireland, it is actually smooth and quite easy to drink. It's almost as if they are two completely different drinks.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:25 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Guinness does not travel well. I had heard this from others and didn't believe it until I saw it for myself.

But it is much, much better in Ireland than it is anywhere else. Night and day difference -- here, it's akin to drinking motor oil, but in Ireland, it is actually smooth and quite easy to drink. It's almost as if they are two completely different drinks.
Different recipe perhaps? I certainly enjoyed it more in Ireland than the couple of times I had it over here.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever had a domestic, Foster's-brewed Newkie Brown? night and day compared to the UK-brewed stuff. You can get both in my local liquor store.
Never mind the difference between US and UK Newcastle brown ale...you said it was hard to distinquish between that and Budweiser and Im still calling bullshit on that statement.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

Just seeking clarification because you said you couldn't tell the difference which I find quite odd.
You're not alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.