Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British vs. American spelling

British vs. American spelling

Old Nov 24th 2020, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British vs. American spelling

Originally Posted by Rete
Why would there be an additional 's' in the focussed?
The doubling is to do with pronunciation. In "modelling", the extra l makes sure it isn't pronounced like the "odeling" in "yodeling". And the extra s in "focussed" makes sure it isn't said like the "cused" in "recused".

Wikipedia outlines the case both ways: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...led_consonants

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I also didn't know the difference in usage inverted commas was a thing. I just always always that double inverted commas was for speech, and single for everything else. I guess I fluked that one ...
I only learnt that one quite recently. I have to deal with pedants from both sides for work, so learn all kinds of exciting and useful things... I think in American English you just use inverted commas when you are quoting something inside existing (double) quotation marks. Otherwise, you pretty much use double all the time (except when they enclose a title). Exciting stuff! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...es#Punctuation

The coworker who used to sit next to me was not a native English speaker and had a Chicago Manual of Style on her desk. She would happily look up such things any time I cursed at the pedants' pedantic emailing.

Cursed very professionally, obviously
Old Nov 24th 2020, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm never sure if the British found a 'u' or the US lost one. Australians use British English so I'm keeping it anyway.

favour/favor
humour/humor
neighbour/neighbor
I think there was an effort at some point in the US to remove superfluous 'u's. Much as I hate to admit it, I think the US got it right.
The US also sorted out 'aluminum'. But there does seem an issue with the 'nucular' option.

Old Nov 24th 2020, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
I think there was an effort at some point in the US to remove superfluous 'u's. Much as I hate to admit it, I think the US got it right.
The US also sorted out 'aluminum'. But there does seem an issue with the 'nucular' option.
Noah Webster played a pretty significant role in US spellings.

https://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophen...tish-spellings

"Seeking to wrest control of the language from the British ruling classes, Noah wrote three books that aimed to make a tidy pile of that mess we were talking about. One on grammar, one on reading, and one on spelling. His first—originally titled The First Part of the Grammatical Institute of the English Language, then The American Spelling Book, then The Elementary Spelling Book—became the standard text book from which American teachers taught spelling for 100 years, and it was from reprints and reissues of that original text that Noah began to subtly refine words, spelling them according to how they sound."

Old Nov 24th 2020, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Time for Spelling Reform, and the Introduction of "Newspeak"

Newspeak - Wikipedia
Old Nov 24th 2020, 8:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm never sure if the British found a 'u' or the US lost one. Australians use British English so I'm keeping it anyway.

favour/favor
humour/humor
neighbour/neighbor
Except labor (as in ALP) is US spelling, but labour day is UK spelling ???
Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:52 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Odd words are yogurt and yoghurt, ax and axe, Phillip and Allison vs Philip and Alison, whiskey and whisky, judgment and judgement, hard to keep it all straight. Like porridge and oatmeal. LOL.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
whiskey and whisky
This one goes according to country of origin of the spirit, so both can be right in the same sentence. The rule of thumb is that if the country has an "e" in it, use whiskey (e.g., US, Ireland) and whisky if not (e.g., Scotland, Canada, Japan).
Old Nov 26th 2020, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

faucet / tap. Old Speckled Hen on faucet just doesn't work.
Obviously froggie spelling is out of the question, so 'tap' it is.

Old Nov 26th 2020, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

And for what comes out of a tap the spelling is the same but, actually, should be different- waDer.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 12:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Odd words are yogurt and yoghurt, ax and axe, Phillip and Allison vs Philip and Alison, whiskey and whisky, judgment and judgement, hard to keep it all straight. Like porridge and oatmeal. LOL.
Whisky = refers to Scotch only
Whiskey = refers to Irish whiskey, Bourbon, or Rye

I think that's the same on both sides of the Atlantic, but don't quote me.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 12:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
don't quote me.
OK I won’t. I think you’re right about some of the variant spellings of uisce beatha. But why is one Irish and one Scottish? I’m guessing that some marketing person made that arbitrary distinction some time in the last hundred years. People used to spell things however they liked, now it’s boringly prescriptive. Just for laughs I sometimes use “connexion” instead of “connection,” and “shew” instead of “show.” And when the 1% in the eighteenth century stole the common land, were they “enclosing” or “inclosing.”
Old Nov 26th 2020, 2:13 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Don't ask for a joint at the meat counter.
Don't ask for a pot plant in the garden center.
Don't ask for a rubber during your math class.
Old Nov 28th 2020, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=retzie;12938961]I only learnt that one quite recently. /QUOTE]

We've just learned you recently learnt it.
Now we're all quite learned (not "learnt")
vive la diférence....

Old Nov 28th 2020, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Don't ask for a joint at the meat counter.
Don't ask for a pot plant in the garden center.
Don't ask for a rubber during your math class.
(especially #3)
Old Nov 28th 2020, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

So BC Liquor store uses Whiskey for American, Whisky for Scotch, Whiskey for Bourbon, Whisky for Canadian, Whiskey for Irish, and Whisky for all other countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.