Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British sayings American find funny

Wikiposts

British sayings American find funny

Old Jul 17th 2016, 8:19 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British sayings American find funny

Originally Posted by jambey2510
There's a bar near my girlfriends that have a "passport" scheme, and it's to encourage you to drink as many different beers from around the world so you tick off the checklist within your passport. Each milestone you hit, you get a freebie. I hit my free t-shirt in my first two nights of owning said passport, which required 20 beers The same barmaid who set me up with the passport was the one who gave me my t-shirt, she looked at me like I'm already well on my way to hitting the next milestone (78/100) for my long sleeve tee! I only joined the bars passport scheme in May...

I have to admit fascination that you seem to think that this kind of consumption is something to brag about!
Old Jul 17th 2016, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I have to admit fascination that you seem to think that this kind of consumption is something to brag about!
Well, I dunno, Meg... sounds like Redneck Heaven!

Or maybe Earl's Court Heaven, if you're old enough to recall the Barry McKenzie Oz-expat anthem "Chunder in the old Pacific Sea".

Last edited by Gordon Barlow; Jul 17th 2016 at 8:29 am.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 9:28 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, I dunno, Meg... sounds like Redneck Heaven!

Or maybe Earl's Court Heaven, if you're old enough to recall the Barry McKenzie Oz-expat anthem "Chunder in the old Pacific Sea".

Yes, but comic-character drunks are always just so much more fun than real life ones, aren't they?
Old Jul 17th 2016, 9:39 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I had around 8 champagnes, a lot of vodka lemonade, spiced rum, beer and more beer after.
If you ever need extra income, you could turn your liver into a distillery.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 9:41 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe Earl's Court Heaven
On the backpacker circuit, Earl's Court was also referred to as Kangaroo Valley.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty common place for people round where I live back home to be able to consume that much! I'm just making the most of my summer break is all, I barely drink at any other times!
Old Jul 17th 2016, 1:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

It's pretty common place for people round where I live back home to be able to consume that much! I'm just making the most of my summer break is all, I barely drink at any other times!
I think you have indicated that when you are married and living here you will be looking for work as a school teacher. It's a good idea not to put yourself in a position to appear to have an undesirable reputation -- parents have a lot of pull in the US where those who teach their kids are concerned and excessive drinking is frowned upon.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 10:13 pm
NM, not new, not Mexico!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have indicated that when you are married and living here you will be looking for work as a school teacher. It's a good idea not to put yourself in a position to appear to have an undesirable reputation -- parents have a lot of pull in the US where those who teach their kids are concerned and excessive drinking is frowned upon.
The Facebook posts of a member of my extended family seem to refer to her alcohol consumption about 90% of the time and most of the other 10% concern how desperate she is for her next holiday. I often wonder how a prospective employer would view her personality from that.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:24 am
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Do Americans say 'No shit Sherlock?'
Yes, or "Captain Obvious."
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Bending the theme of this thread just a wee bit, to cover an Australian saying (which may or may not be English; I don't know) that a Caribbean client of mine found hilarious... At a company meeting I expressed irritation at some weekly sales figures, which were surely way too erratic to be accurate. "Look at the line chart", I said scornfully. "It's up and down like father's pants."

So there's now at least one company in the Caribbean familiar with the expression.
Doesn't sound particularly Australian. The (UK) version I've always known was 'Up and down like a whore's drawers'.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jul 18th 2016 at 11:53 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:51 pm
NM, not new, not Mexico!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Doesn't sound particularly Australian. The version I've always known was 'Up and down like a whore's drawers'.
The (UK) phrase I am familiar with is "up and down like a tart's knickers". Gordon must have had more genteel upbringing than either of us.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Doesn't sound particularly Australian. The version I've always known was 'Up and down like a whore's drawers'.
Where I grew up (Manchester/Lancashire) it was "up and down like a bride's nightie".
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the heads up on this - fortunately I am smart about this and nothing on any social media of mine suggests I even drink anything, and that's IF I can be found online, as I have hardly any friends/connections on social media, plus it's all private.

In fact, this is probably the first time I have mentioned that I can and do very rarely drink a lot, and that's only because of the privacy! Plus, I've only really been drinking on this trip anyway! The last time I drank before this trip was last year But thanks for the heads up
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Relobotomy is an unknown quantity at this point

"Like a dog with two dicks" has resulted in many quizzical looks and post-explanation guffaws.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Anrev is an unknown quantity at this point

I said 'she looks like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards' about someone with messy hair. My Usa family nearly died laughing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.