Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Bringing Tea into US with Personal Possessions

Bringing Tea into US with Personal Possessions

Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice
Default Bringing Tea into US with Personal Possessions

We have been advised by firm handling our UK to US move that :

"Moreover, please note that I have seen that you added tea in your shipment, unfortunately, it cannot be brought into the US."

Has anyone else found this a problem?

We have searched on this subject and both APHIS and CBP state that these are "Allowed Items"
e.g. http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps3025/usdatips.pdf
Page 9
General List of Approved Products
Dried foods, including milled rice, beans, and tea

and
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...eforeyougo.pdf
Page 41
As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee and tea are admissible.

On the CBP Q&A it also says the following :

Question
Personal importations of coffee, tea or spices

Answer
There are no restrictions on the importation of coffee, tea or spices for personal use, although they may be subject to FDA inspections if a CBP officer suspects contamination or insect infestation of the product.
If you are ordering these items from a foreign business, that business will be required to file Prior Notice with FDA. when sending the goods to you. (These requirements DO NOT apply to food accompanying a traveler into the U.S. or being sent to someone in the U.S. by another individual.)

To put it in context, some friends who work in the tea business are giving me a gift of 2 x 10kg boxes of loose leaf tea. One box would go by Air and the other by Sea, so it would be going with our personal possessions rather than being carried by us.

On the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States it looks like it would fall under :

0902.40.00 00 Other black tea (fermented) and other partly fermented tea

which carries no duty. We would pay duty if necessary anyway.

I'm a complete "Tea Monster", so this is quite important to me. Sad, but true.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Tea into US with Personal Possessions

Bringing tea into the US is considered terrorism and akin to buying a one way ticket to Guantonamo Bay.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:41 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Bringing tea into the US is considered terrorism and akin to buying a one way ticket to Guantonamo Bay.
Customs and Immigration will pour it into the nearest available harbour.

Fish won't sleep for weeks.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:49 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Just empty it out of whatever container it's in and transfer it to clear plastic baggies. They won't know it's tea.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Just empty it out of whatever container it's in and transfer it to clear plastic baggies. They won't know it's tea.
Made me choke on my drink!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sangiano
We have been advised by firm handling our UK to US move that :

"Moreover, please note that I have seen that you added tea in your shipment, unfortunately, it cannot be brought into the US."
You probably didn't specify the correct shipping container. You need one like this:

Just cross out "RADIOACTIVE" and write in "BRITISH FOODSTUFF" and you'll be sorted.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

LOL -
yes, we weren't allowed any foodstuffs at all with our shipment, we brought only what we could fit in our checked in luggage - sorry
but we've found we can buy tea pretty easily, and if it's loose tea you're after we found some pretty quickly in oodles of varieties, there are even tea shops around too.
HTH
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:56 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mommapudding
LOL -
yes, we weren't allowed any foodstuffs at all with our shipment, we brought only what we could fit in our checked in luggage - sorry
but we've found we can buy tea pretty easily, and if it's loose tea you're after we found some pretty quickly in oodles of varieties, there are even tea shops around too.
HTH
Don't be daft!! Tea is illegal in the states .... it has proven narcotic qualities and makes the natives too horny to work the required 70 hour week.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

I surrender!!!

I take it that it isn't going to happen.

OK. Here's Plan B.

Transfer items that were going into my suitcase to the Air Shipment. Fill aforementioned suitcase with tea. Arrive only in clothes I'm wearing.

Sorted.

Hmmm. I can see an interesting chat with the officials at the airport.

Serious question, given that lots of you do bring back tea in your luggage - how much is likely to be too much? I know, how long is a piece of string?

Last edited by sangiano; Oct 12th 2007 at 5:30 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it be quicker, cheaper and easier to just buy new tea when you get here?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your shipper to show you/direct you to the information that says you can't include tea in your shipment. Explain that you can't find any reference to tea being forbidden.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Wouldn't it be quicker, cheaper and easier to just buy new tea when you get here?
Bob,

You're probably right. I just want to bring in a month's supply (not 20kg). I'll sort out a Stateside supply during that time.

I'm sure if I do a search in this forum, I'll find plenty of suggestions.

It just seemed like a good idea, especially as it didn't SEEM to be a prohibited item.

Originally Posted by Celsius
Ask your shipper to show you/direct you to the information that says you can't include tea in your shipment. Explain that you can't find any reference to tea being forbidden.
We've done that. Awaiting a reply.

I'm also aware how paranoid the US is about importing anything that's been anywhere near a plant or animal, let alone is made from one!

Is it worth the bother - probably not, I'm thinking now.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
After dealing with US immigration, I automatically assume that any solution that is quicker, cheaper, or easier is either illegal or impossible.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill_S
After dealing with US immigration, I automatically assume that any solution that is quicker, cheaper, or easier is either illegal or impossible.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sangiano
Bob,

You're probably right. I just want to bring in a month's supply (not 20kg). I'll sort out a Stateside supply during that time.
PG Tips, x2 box of 250 count tea bags are $25 with free shipping via amazon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.