Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A brief whine regarding Veteran's Day

A brief whine regarding Veteran's Day

Old Nov 12th 2014, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute
Default A brief whine regarding Veteran's Day

My mum is in a nursing home in Massachusetts. My sister told me that the nursing home staff had a little ceremony today honoring the veterans living there, but didn't include my mother, because she served in the WRNS during WWII, not in US armed forces.
Geez.
okay, whine over.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 12:13 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A brief whine regarding Veteran's Day

I sympathise. I went to the unveiling of a memorial to honor veterans. It is in a park in our city. On arrival I was asked if I was a veteran and what branch I served in. I said Royal Air Force and was told that didn't count if it wasn't a US service.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

It counts, they just don't know it.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

It's a very understandable whine. I wonder if you could have a word with the social worker in that nursing home so they don't do the same thing next year? The people who arranged it were maybe the activities staff who sound clueless.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:35 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I sympathise. I went to the unveiling of a memorial to honor veterans. It is in a park in our city. On arrival I was asked if I was a veteran and what branch I served in. I said Royal Air Force and was told that didn't count if it wasn't a US service.
No Hot-Dogs for you. Loser
Old Nov 12th 2014, 2:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BellaE
It counts, they just don't know it.
More than they realize. British citizens resident in the US on a non-immigrant visa can serve in the US reserves if they want to. It should just be a matter of finding out who to lobby to get the recognition.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 2:40 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

That's not nice for your mum..I can understand her being upset. Normally round our way when they invite people to stand and be recognized they phrase it something like "past and present members of the U.S. armed forces, and the forces of the UK and our other allies". I always wonder why the UK is singled out from other allies...the "special relationship" I guess! When I say "normally", I think the only places I have heard it are at the school Veterans Day concert and Seaworld.

We go to a Memorial Day ceremony at the national cemetery in Houston, and there they specifically recognize the 5 US forces, but given that the cemetery only holds US personnel, I guess that is more understandable.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Pentagon Program Allows Illegal Aliens to Serve in U.S. Military | CNS News
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an issue with it, why should children have to suffer because of their parents mistakes?

"Now, as long as they came to the U.S. with their parents prior to age 16, are pending approval for adjustment of status, or have held legal status for at least two years at some point, immigrants without a proper visa fall within grounds of eligibility."

To the OP. Sorry to hear they didn't include your mother, maybe have a talk with whoever is in charge of it and maybe they can change their ways and include everyone who is a veteran regardless of which country they were with.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for entertaining my whine! My sister is going to speak with the activity director and do a little consciousness-raising. By the time she does this, my mother will probably have forgotten all about it! I think the US Veterans have that fact indicated clearly in their records, as they are probably getting VA benefits.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 3:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of, when we were out some place yesterday, we didn't see anyone else take a moments silence at 11.

We usually don't.

It's a little odd I feel.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Speaking of, when we were out some place yesterday, we didn't see anyone else take a moments silence at 11.

We usually don't.

It's a little odd I feel.
It is completely the opposite to the UK, isn't it! Two minute silence in the UK to remember the fallen. Loud events, big banners, promos at restaurants etc in the US.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Completely forgot it was 11/11. Admittedly the weather may have had an effect but nothing happening that I saw.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
It is completely the opposite to the UK, isn't it! Two minute silence in the UK to remember the fallen. Loud events, big banners, promos at restaurants etc in the US.
that's what the Cenotaph is missing - a big banner announcing the Armistice day blow out furniture sales
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I was watching the rugby a few days ago and before the match, they were doing a minutes silence. It was so quiet, I turned the volume up on the tele (chromecasted a Brit feed) as I thought someone had muted it...a moments silence over here doesn't seem to be as silent.

I'm sure there are times when it is, I just haven't observed it being the case as often, or if at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.