Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Brats - and i dont mean those awful toys

Brats - and i dont mean those awful toys

Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brats - and i dont mean those awful toys

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
For sure...that's one of the reasons why I never asked. It does make you think doesn't it...is there a firearm lying around in a cupboard, drawer etc?
Yes it does. Scary stuff. I guess the key is making sure kids respect firearms and leave them alone if they find them. (AND tell you!)
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:47 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I remember someone saying before you let your child go to a friend's house you should ask the parents if there is a gun on the premises...if so is it safely locked away out of the reach of the children. It makes sense to find out but it's not a question I could bring myself to ask.
I have heard that as well, I think I might have read it in one of those free baby magazines that come in the mail out of nowhere after you have a kid. They always have some picture of a smiling Dad "wearing" a baby in one of those front carrier things while vacuuming the house... They're full of "experts" who probably don't have kids telling you all kinds of BS about the proper way to raise your children.

About actually asking the question about firearms... Everybody knows my stance on guns (in case you don't, I like 'em) but I think like another poster mentioned this is kind of a knee jerk emotional reaction to the horror that is a incident involving negligence with firearms resulting in the death or injury of a child. When you think about the multitude of items in a home that can hurt a child...poisons, chemicals, electrical outlets, ovens/stoves, medicines, swimming pools, dogs that could bite, tools... what are you going to do, run down a checklist everytime your child visits a new house? If you ask about guns, shouldn't you ask about all the other hazards as well?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I have heard that as well, I think I might have read it in one of those free baby magazines that come in the mail out of nowhere after you have a kid. They always have some picture of a smiling Dad "wearing" a baby in one of those front carrier things while vacuuming the house... They're full of "experts" who probably don't have kids telling you all kinds of BS about the proper way to raise your children.

About actually asking the question about firearms... Everybody knows my stance on guns (in case you don't, I like 'em) but I think like another poster mentioned this is kind of a knee jerk emotional reaction to the horror that is a incident involving negligence with firearms resulting in the death or injury of a child. When you think about the multitude of items in a home that can hurt a child...poisons, chemicals, electrical outlets, ovens/stoves, medicines, swimming pools, dogs that could bite, tools... what are you going to do, run down a checklist everytime your child visits a new house? If you ask about guns, shouldn't you ask about all the other hazards as well?
I certainly didn't read it in a baby magazine...my daughter was 11 when we moved here.

You have a point but as I mentioned above my daughter was 11 therefore most of those wouldn't have applied to her.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:43 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

My son has a friend whose mom won't allow him to bounce on our trampoline when he comes over for a playdate - she thinks they're really dangerous...Of course, I respect her wishes and none of them go on it when her son comes over but it kind of spoils the fun for the kids.

My kid has been on loads of playdates at different friend's houses, I've got to be honest - it has never entered my head to ask about guns in the house I'm either a bad mommy or extremely naive! I try to find out what kind of people the parents are beforehand, though, by everyone getting together at a park or other venue, a couple of times before he goes to their house for the first time. Either that or I go with him.

Last edited by JEM3110; Jun 16th 2008 at 12:51 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:18 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
My son has a friend whose mom won't allow him to bounce on our trampoline when he comes over for a playdate - she thinks they're really dangerous...Of course, I respect her wishes and none of them go on it when her son comes over but it kind of spoils the fun for the kids.

My kid has been on loads of playdates at different friend's houses, I've got to be honest - it has never entered my head to ask about guns in the house I'm either a bad mommy or extremely naive! I try to find out what kind of people the parents are beforehand, though, by everyone getting together at a park or other venue, a couple of times before he goes to their house for the first time. Either that or I go with him.
my 8 year old came home from school during the past year with a scenario of situations, one of which was along the lines of "what would you do if you were at a friends house and you saw a gun on the parents bed and your friend told you to go pick it up".
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:25 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Given how accident prone my wife is, we would never consider having a firearm in the house. Somebody would be dead within a week.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Given how accident prone my wife is, we would never consider having a firearm in the house. Somebody would be dead within a week.
"Accident", eh? Who are you kidding? It'd be you dead, and it wouldn't be an accident!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

"Accident", eh? Who are you kidding? It'd be you dead, and it wouldn't be an accident!
Probably something to do with wax on the wall to wall. Who's accident prone again?

PS: did I ever tell anyone, I did that wax-out-of-the-carpet trick the last time I turned the rental. Brown paper bag and a hot iron; it worked a treat!
The tenant was not happy that I dinged him for my extra time.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
my 8 year old came home from school during the past year with a scenario of situations, one of which was along the lines of "what would you do if you were at a friends house and you saw a gun on the parents bed and your friend told you to go pick it up".
That would freak me out!

I wonder what caused him to ask it? I know sometimes the local Police Dept have their officers go into the schools and talk to the kids about various scenarios they may find themselves in- possibly involving drugs, alcohol, bullying, guns -it gets them thinking etc. It's great that your son can talk to you about it and hopefully will never find himself in that situation!

Last edited by JEM3110; Jun 16th 2008 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:58 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
That would freak me out!

I wonder what caused him to ask it? I know sometimes the local Police Dept have their officers go into the schools and talk to the kids about various scenarios they may find themselves in- possibly involving drugs, alcohol, bullying, guns -it gets them thinking etc. It's great that your son can talk to you about it and hopefully will never find himself in that situation!
Well, this was a set of scenarios that the school handed out, things like, if a stranger approached you and offered you sweets what would you do; another one was: if the doorbell goes and your parents arent around should you open the door if you cant see through the spy hole, and again if you can see through the spy hole should you open it - and this other one was about the gun. We had to discuss it at home. it was a good idea actually and we could reinforce what you should or should not do, the issue of firearms had NEVER entered my head prior to that!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
the issue of firearms had NEVER entered my head prior to that!
Jeez, I know, tell me about it! It's just one more thing to worry about, eh?