Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Brats - and i dont mean those awful toys

Brats - and i dont mean those awful toys

Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:00 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brats - and i dont mean those awful toys

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Er, not when the dog gets you up at 2 or 3 or 4 in the morning to go out OR turns into a total nervous wreck when there's a t-storm and comes and pants like a freight train in your face and tries to either get up in your lap if you're awake or in bed with you when you're asleep. Sigh.
OK, OK when you put it like that....you win hands down...
Old Jun 14th 2008, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Yep scary isn't it when people are quite happy to leave their kids with you and they've never even met you..
We take that risk when our child gets an invite to a birthday party, like tomorrow for instance, I've never met the family but my OH has told me the child's house is in a really rough area, now we dont have much either so I'm not being a snob here just a tad worried, my Son really wants to go. I know what you might be thinking 'dont be silly you cant rap them up in cotton wool'.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I've encountered bad service in the UK and in the US. It all depends on the individual you encounter. It's got nothing to do with being "civilised", as you put it.

Take the brats. They are a product of their upbringing or lack of it.
Yep, you're right
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:01 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
We take that risk when our child gets an invite to a birthday party, like tomorrow for instance, I've never met the family but my OH has told me the child's house is in a really rough area, now we dont have much either so I'm not being a snob here just a tad worried, my Son really wants to go. I know what you might be thinking 'dont be silly you cant rap them up in cotton wool'.
Can I ask, do you stay at the party or pick the child up later..? Is that the norm here?, I'm only asking as I prefer to stay with my DD (because of her age). and I just wondered if I'm breaking some unspoken Mom rule..
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask, do you stay at the party or pick the child up later..? Is that the norm here?, I'm only asking as I prefer to stay with my DD (because of her age). and I just wondered if I'm breaking some unspoken Mom rule..
I've only ever dropped him off at parties, not unless it's at another family members house. I've heard many a Brit on here saying that the adults stayed as well
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:04 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever dropped him off at parties, not unless it's at another family members house. I've heard many a Brit on here saying that the adults stayed as well
Unless its a family we know well or there is another parent staying that we know well, one of us will always stay - even if its at one of those activity places. Not paranoia, I like to know my children are safe, and I like to see them having fun.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:06 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
Yesterday I took both my children and a friend (age 8) of elder child to the Zoo. I know the family and the children well, but for some reason yesterday, this child just wound me up something chronic. We got there, I ordered lunch, she sat down and kept saying "when's my food gonna be ready?" Later on she somehow got hold of 3 balloons filled with water which she was tossing around even after many times of me telling her to get rid of them - naturally one burst all over my 5 year old. No biggies there, just generally not listening and all that, which most kids dont do anyway!

So I drop her off to her mother, child just goes off - no thank you, goodbye - kiss my arse - nothing.

I have had another child who, on first time of coming to my house, proceeded to open my fridge and help herself to whatever she fancied!

WTF! I dont like to compare (well, actually I do!) but none of the kids I know in the UK would ever behave that way!

What is the thing about basic manners and stuff here! :curse:

Maybe it's the company you keep Or perhaps I've been lucky as I've never had kids here help themselves to stuff in my fridge and for the most part, I get thank yous -- if the kids themselves don't say thank you, then usually the parents remind them to. I'm afraid I would have taken the balloons away from the child if, on my first asking, she didn't stop the behaviour.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Unless its a family we know well or there is another parent staying that we know well, one of us will always stay - even if its at one of those activity places. Not paranoia, I like to know my children are safe, and I like to see them having fun.
I remember someone saying before you let your child go to a friend's house you should ask the parents if there is a gun on the premises...if so is it safely locked away out of the reach of the children. It makes sense to find out but it's not a question I could bring myself to ask.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've just had a chat with the boy's mum and she said I'm welcome to stay, but I only needed directions, I'll see what's what when we get there but I dont fancy staying really.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I remember someone saying before you let your child go to a friend's house you should ask the parents if there is a gun on the premises...if so is it safely locked away out of the reach of the children. It makes sense to find out but it's not a question I could bring myself to ask.
I'm with you mate I couldn't ask
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:37 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:41 pm
In Orange County, CA.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Holy shit! My stress levels are now through the roof!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Strange didn't you just say that whats going on need I ask BE's playing up again.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:40 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

So far, my son has only been to parties held at various venues around the area, not in the home, so it's Chuck E Cheese's, Gymnasium, Bowling, Cinema, etc. I usually suss it out when I get there, sometimes I stay just to keep an eye - if the party is well supervised and the other parents are just dropping off I often slip away myself...

He is going to a party next weekend at a friend's house - a pool party, I don't really know what the situation is re: parents staying. I am a bit concerned as - they have an inground pool and I'm not sure how deep it is, we don't know the family that well (although they seem normal), I don't want him to burn in the sun and he probably will ditch his baseball cap as soon as my back is turned! I will call the mother and find out more details.

Regarding the age thing, as my son is nearly 7, I feel a bit more relaxed with just dropping him off, obviously if the place seems safe etc. Often, he's pushing me out the door - probably not cool to have your mum around, or something! When he was (5 or younger) I would definately stay, this seems to be the case with American mums too.

Last edited by JEM3110; Jun 14th 2008 at 4:00 pm. Reason: Another thought
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:30 pm
In Orange County, CA.

Strange didn't you just say that whats going on need I ask BE's playing up again.
yes i am having problems, it will scroll on forever trying to take the post and when i hit refresh i think it post it and then will possibly create a duplicate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.