Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Boxing Day Party Games - Pass the parcel?

Boxing Day Party Games - Pass the parcel?

Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boxing Day Party Games - Pass the parcel?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I do not know if it is just Brits or not, but I think most adults would enjoy it, especially after a few.

Another game my American family introduced me to is....will have to explain, as I do not know a name.
Everyone brings a small gift ($5~10) or the host could provide them.
Everyone takes a turn picking a gift. If they like it, they keep it, if they do not want it, they swop it (one swop per person only). It can be fun as people get things they want to keep, but you never know till the end if you get to keep it, as the last person might get something useless and trade you. Best done with people who know each other, as it is the forced trading that makes it fun.
Yankee Swap.

I say, just go for move....pass the parcel doesn't seem popular here, but went to one kids birthday who had it, but they were the only one who did party games.

Pin the tail on the donkey could be an amusing game with a bunch of drunk folks
Old Dec 13th 2011, 1:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Musical chairs.
Charades.

Edit: Oops sorry I see Anian has already suggested the above.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 13th 2011 at 1:29 am.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:17 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl
We're hosting a Boxing Day gathering and we've asked our friends to bring a gift they received at Christmas for a gift exchange game. Do you usually play games at Boxing Day parties? This is my first hosting (I'm the USC).
Not everyone plays games, our family didnt but some families do (more of a middle class thing?) I just want a change from eating and drinking too much.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:18 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can never remember what it's called but the cutting up the huge bar of chocolate with knife and fork and wearing hat, scarf, gloves etc. Works best after a great deal of alcohol.
Oh I love that one can you remember the basic rules that is really funny!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:36 am

Okay so I am remembering some we used to play just in case anyone else is looking for ideas.

Black Magic. 2 people do a mind reading trick one goes out of the room and the other asks the group to choose an object that they will telepathically transmit to the one outside of the room when they return, The one inside asks a few questions "is it the bauble on the tree etc, when they ask if it is a black object the other knows that it will be the next question

I pass these scissor crossed. Pass a pair of scissors around and say I pass these scissors crossed or I pass these scissors uncrossed the next person has to follow the rule but it actually has nothing to do with the scissors only whether your legs are crossed.

Flour game, big pile of flour with sweet on top each turn you cut a slice until the sweet falls, the person who makes the sweet fall has to pick it up in their teeth (then you push their face in it!)

We used to be a bit sadistic in our games
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Squeak Piggy Squeak - people are blindfolded and someone sits in their lap and they have to guess who it is by them squeaking. Definitely a drunk one The Germans have something similar where you have to say "arme schwartzer Kater".
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Squeak Piggy Squeak - people are blindfolded and someone sits in their lap and they have to guess who it is by them squeaking. Definitely a drunk one The Germans have something similar where you have to say "arme schwartzer Kater".
You went to the same parties as me! This was my attempt at a less drunken party but its clearly not going to work.

Chubby Bunnies, push a lot of marshmallows in your mouth and saw chubby bunnies, think thats the rules!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Oh I love that one can you remember the basic rules that is really funny!
Lisa has done the deed further up.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Lisa has done the deed further up.
Ooh missed that thanks, thats simple enough This party needs some British people!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh missed that thanks, thats simple enough This party needs some British people!
Pay for my flights and I'll be over.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Magpie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am planning a Boxing Day party and thinking of having party games. I was asking some US family if they liked Pass the Parcel and they had never heard of it. Is it a purely British thing and would you think it weird to play it as adults? was thinking of putting nice little gifts in.
To make it more interesting you could interweave faw fits (not sure how to spell it) or dares which could liven things up a bit.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 12:27 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

ahhhh...me & the family always played charades and our slightly pervy but totally hysterical Uncle would always manage to act something obscene as part of his clue....good times
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Peter525839 will become famous soon enoughPeter525839 will become famous soon enough

Bradford Lass, you must have gone to the same parties as I did. Black Magic was always a favorite. Very similar was guess the town It was always the next town after a town that had a body part in it Hartlepool, Bournemouth, Liverpool etc You could use Dallas here!
We also played the scissors crossed
for parties with older kids blowing the candle out One match and light and blow out the candle as many times as you can before it burns your fingers
No wetting the match I think the record was about 30-40
Articles on a tray 20-30 small articles paper clip , stamp, peanut. Look for 1 minute then take out of room Everyone has to write down as amny as tyhey can remember
We played a couple of adult games. Blindfold a lady and she has to guess her husbands / boyfriends bum by feel Hilarious
Similar version for the ladys, no not what you are thinking. Cant remember all the details but I think ladies were all blinfolded and the men also supposed to be blindfolded has to feel their noses and say who was who. Trick was the men stuck their fingers in chimney soot Im showing my age The look onm the ladies when bilndfold s came off was priceless
Best game of all though was a treasure hunt Two teams and the hosts leave a trail of clues hidden in objects around the house before the party Differnt clues for the differnt teams but the last clue ( hardest) was the same for both teams and generally had the prize attached maybe 1 pound which was given to the youngets team member
Those were fun times
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:10 pm

Hey people just wanted to update that the Boxing Day games went well. Everyone loved the Chocolate game - I have not laughed so much for years, the scissors crossed and charades were also well received.

Everyone wore their party hats and pretended to like mince pies. One of the things I realised is you can pretty much tell people that anything is a tradition so next year I might make a few up

Happy New Year and thanks for the ideas.