Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Books That Changed America

Books That Changed America

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Books That Changed America

Caught the last few minutes of a program on the radio this morning, On Point with Tom Ashbrook. He was talking with Jay Parini who has published Promised Land: Thirteen Books That Changed America .... These are the thirteen books;

- Of Plymouth Plantation (1620-47), by William Bradford
- The Federalist Papers (1787-88)
- The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (1793)
- The Journals of Lewis and Clark (1803-06)
- Walden (1854), by Henry David Thoreau
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin (1852), by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), by Mark Twain
- The Souls of Black Folk (1903), by W.E.B. DuBois
- The Promised Land (1912), by Mary Antin
- How to Win Friends and Influence People (1936), by Dale Carnegie
- The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care (1946), by Benjamin Spock
- On the Road (1957), by Jack Kerouac
- The Feminine Mystique (1963), by Betty Friedan

The only one I've read is Kerouac's On the Road but Souls of Black Folk and The Promised Land are definitely on my "to read" list.

Anyone else, thoughts on this list? Any recommendations? (Hey - I've got a twelve day holiday coming up!!)
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books That Changed America

Originally Posted by robin1234
Caught the last few minutes of a program on the radio this morning, On Point with Tom Ashbrook. He was talking with Jay Parini who has published Promised Land: Thirteen Books That Changed America .... These are the thirteen books;

The only one I've read is Kerouac's On the Road but Souls of Black Folk and The Promised Land are definitely on my "to read" list.

Anyone else, thoughts on this list? Any recommendations? (Hey - I've got a twelve day holiday coming up!!)
How to Win Friends for sure (and How to Stop Worrying & Start Living if you're so inclined). I know people who read it once a year for years on end.
NOT recommended because I think you 'need' it, but for the number of people (hundreds) who have told me how much they value it.
And no. I do not collect a royalty. Directly.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:50 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
How to Win Friends for sure (and How to Stop Worrying & Start Living if you're so inclined). I know people who read it once a year for years on end.
NOT recommended because I think you 'need' it, but for the number of people (hundreds) who have told me how much they value it.
You missed out Dubyas colouring book
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:50 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead
Huckleberry Finn
To Kill a Mockingbird
Superman comics
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:51 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I read On The Road. Thought it was overrated hippy bullshit.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Some suggestions...

Catch-22
The Origin of Species (Darwin)
Narrative on the life of Frederick Douglass (Frederick Douglass)
The meaning of relativity (Albert Einstein)
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, at least one Viz annual should be on the list.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I've only read the Dale Carnegie book and it didn't impact me.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a good choice. I studied it when I was 13 or so in English class. It's a children's book that deals with adult themes. I'm not sure if it's still? on the curriculum in American schools.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:58 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought the Bible by J.H.C & Friends would be on that list.

The Encyclopedia Of Immaturity
The Brick Testament
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:01 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

Have read Uncle Tom, Huck Finn, How to Win Friends and The Feminine Mystique.
I found them all good, however I would suggest "The Sensuous Woman" by "J" and "The Sensuous Man" by "M" (the same author) are better and have been more influential than The Feminine Mystique.

Also "Gone with the Wind" is one of the best historical novels I have read - an accurate portrayal, from what I know of the "South".

However, the book that will prove to be the most influential in American history will be "The Wisdom of GW Bush" by GW Bush.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:01 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

- The Journals of Lewis and Clark (1803-06) (The DeVoto edit, not the full text)

Shamefully, I've only read those two.

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead
Huckleberry Finn
To Kill a Mockingbird
Superman comics
I'm going to have to reread Atlas Shrugged, it's been a couple years and I want to refresh my memory in order to see if I feel the same way about it in todays financial/corporate context.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Come on, at least one Viz annual should be on the list.
But did any of them change America?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add:

1984 by George Orwell

The "Dick and Jane" series. I'd say these helped shape a generation moreso than change America but what the hell.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:12 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

But did any of them change America?
Probably, as they were read.

But more seriously, they did address their time and were critically assessed.

I should have added Catch 22 and The Cardinal to my list.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by tomarense
Probably, as they were read.

But more seriously, they did address their time and were critically assessed.

I should have added Catch 22 and The Cardinal to my list.
But, isn't Viz a British publication, and largely unknown in America? Somehow I don't see Sandra Burke and Tracey Tunstall changing America but I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.