Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Book flex ticket now, or wait & buy no-change fare?

Book flex ticket now, or wait & buy no-change fare?

Old May 5th 2015, 9:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book flex ticket now, or wait & buy no-change fare?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I definitely remember someone on here talking about using google flights matrix to search for a flight, where you can play around a bit with departure airport etc. to get best price and figure out if companies charge more to fly return from one direction
Yes, it has been discussed, but it centers around where to start your round-trip flight, not where to buy your ticket. IIRC someone here was able to predict consistently when they would return to visit London the following year, and had bought a ticket starting in Lisbon, Portugal with a two week visit in London. Then they would fly to the US (where they live) and the next year a fly back to Lisbon, where they would spend a few days before starting another "circuit" by flying to London.
Old May 5th 2015, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Another thought to consider is when do the new parents want you to arrive? Where will you stay?

I had a baby 20 months ago here in the US and specifically told my own Mum and MIL I did not want them out until at least 6 weeks after the birth because they'd have to stay with us. I wanted that precious bonding time as a new little family without someone else looking over my shoulder. Fortunately they both understood and I personally found that it was then that I needed a bit more help. OH had taken parental leave, then I'd had a few weeks on my own so by the time my Mum appeared at the 6 week mark I was knackered and happy to have some help. Breastfeeding etc had been established by then too and I'd had some time to heal from my c section so we were able to do a few tourist things.

I'm currently pregnant now and we are moving back to the UK when this baby is about 6 weeks old so it should work out in the same manner again which I am glad of especially since we will be living with my parents when we first arrive.
Old May 5th 2015, 10:46 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

If fares are lower when departing from the UK, then I suspect that the difference is due to competition.

Most of the cost of your ticket is determined by your departure, not your return. When flying to the UK, you have fewer destination options (most flights will go to Heathow or Gatwick), while the US offers a plethora of airports and a wide variety of domestic connecting routes. The pricing algorithm will discount the seats that are most likely to stay empty, and flying to the US provides plenty of possibilities for route and scheduling competition.
Old May 6th 2015, 12:41 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Another thought to consider is when do the new parents want you to arrive? Where will you stay?

I had a baby 20 months ago here in the US and specifically told my own Mum and MIL I did not want them out until at least 6 weeks after the birth because they'd have to stay with us. I wanted that precious bonding time as a new little family without someone else looking over my shoulder. Fortunately they both understood and I personally found that it was then that I needed a bit more help. OH had taken parental leave, then I'd had a few weeks on my own so by the time my Mum appeared at the 6 week mark I was knackered and happy to have some help. Breastfeeding etc had been established by then too and I'd had some time to heal from my c section so we were able to do a few tourist things.
Yes, I agree this matter of timing is key (hence my enquiries here as to how flexible airlines can be). However, I'm NOT staying with the new parents. I've already sorted out some--hopefully--somewhat flexible accommodation through AirB&B. So even if I arrive soonish after the birth (as seems to be preferred) the new little family will have their evenings & nights all to themselves.

The place I'll be staying is literally right round the corner, so very convenient (and cheap too!).... I'll be within easy reach but not in the family's hair 24/7. Thank you, AirB&B! (My first experience of it!)

I agree that bonding time is incredibly important for both new parents & I'd never want to interfere with that. And the last thing I want is my daughter worried about 'entertaining' me in any way. I plan to be the dogsbody who cooks the meals, does laundry, runs out for any needed groceries (or stays w/ baby while the Mum goes for an outing if she wants) or sits with the baby while she naps or let the two parents go out together, etc. etc....

With my first, my mother didn't arrive for a week after the birth, & that time alone with the baby was wonderful & actually empowering. Then I was pleased to see her arrive when she did. She also didn't stay with us--for the same reason I won't stay with my daughter--just no room in the flat.

For the subsequent birth, I was truly happy she flew in a few days before the birth because she could entertain my first-born, take her to pre-school, etc. And that time, our house was bigger & she could stay with us.

Last edited by WEBlue; May 6th 2015 at 12:52 pm.