Bonfire night...

Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:57 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonfire night...

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think that the reason that fireworks are banned in many states & municipalities is that the right to own and set off fireworks is not enshrined in the United States Constitution. Experience shows that, unless a right is constitutionally protected, Marxists or doctrinaire Pelosi Democrats will take it away.
I am unsure how to read this post, Poe's Law
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

real sausages with onions...mmmm....
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future

at my daughter's school they had asked parents to come in and talk about significant cultural events and festivals - I was going to come and tell them about Guy Fawkes night but then the teacher said that she had done a little research and thought that it might not be "suitable". [ the kids are 3-6]

I wasn't intending to talk about the hanging drawing and quartering!! Just the fireworks and maybe the poem Remember, remember the 5th of November, gunpowder, treason and plot...

boo hoo.. homesick too today........
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:05 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooj
at my daughter's school they had asked parents to come in and talk about significant cultural events and festivals - I was going to come and tell them about Guy Fawkes night but then the teacher said that she had done a little research and thought that it might not be "suitable". [ the kids are 3-6]

I wasn't intending to talk about the hanging drawing and quartering!! Just the fireworks and maybe the poem Remember, remember the 5th of November, gunpowder, treason and plot...

boo hoo.. homesick too today........
WOW that's a real shame, it is definately part of the English culture, and what a bummer that it wasn't deemed "suitable"!!!
I mean you wouldn't want to TEACH about the rest of the world would you shheeeshhh!!!!!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of you should celebrate this tradition in the US. I'd go to it, it sounds like a blast! I bet others would too, if hosting appeals to you.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:43 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I think some of you should celebrate this tradition in the US. I'd go to it, it sounds like a blast! I bet others would too, if hosting appeals to you.
But most of us Brits are unsociable buggers at heart
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I have held Bonfire Night parties in years past and invited our neighbors...they really got into the spirit of it all....blood thirsty lot!!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:14 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Chumping- collecting the wood
getting rid of your old junk
pie and mushy peas
plot toffee
these fireworks that seemed to chase you that were banned?
The smokey smell

My cat having a prescription for valium, apparently a human dose, it was the first year she didnt disappear and actually watched the fireworks from the window with a serene expression! Can a cat have an expression?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Chumping- collecting the wood
getting rid of your old junk
pie and mushy peas
plot toffee
these fireworks that seemed to chase you that were banned?
The smokey smell

My cat having a prescription for valium, apparently a human dose, it was the first year she didnt disappear and actually watched the fireworks from the window with a serene expression! Can a cat have an expression?
ooo..can I have whatever the cat had please!!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Typical of a liberal -- "unsure" = dithering, no courage of your convictions.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

We decided last night that we are going to have a 'bonfire night' tonight, we have some old wood in the garage and a firepit outside, no fireworks but we can foil wrap some spuds and put them in the pit, My Son and his friend will make a 'mini' guy fawkes and we will stand out by the fire and re-call bonfire nights of the past!

It's the best we can do, but at least it's better than nothing
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:39 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Of course they can. Smiley, grumpy, the lot.

I've given The Kitten smaller doses of that, as an appetite stimulant (it works, btw) but never intentionally as a trank (though there was one time the vet started her on a higher dose, and she was definitely stoned...)
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The Hub of the Universe (Boston, to folks unfamiliar with Beantown and its traditions) is surely the place to be to celebrate Guy Fawkes...

Each November 5th, on Guy Fawkes Day, Bostonians celebrated “Pope Day” by burning the pope in effigy, holding processions featuring the Roman Pontiff and the devil walking hand in hand and launching pogrom-type vandalizing of Catholic homes and businesses.

In 1834, rioters burned down an Ursuline convent in North Boston and by 1840 a virulently anti-Catholic political party, the “Know Nothings,” was formed in reaction to Catholic immigration to the United States. The Know Nothing party swept Massachusetts elections in 1854, winning both governorship and legislature.

Puritan laws had forbidden Catholics from holding any kind of political office and Boston practice portrayed Catholics as mindless automata in the service of the foreign pope.

All of that changed in a big way in 1960...........
http://www.thebostonpilot.com/article.asp?ID=10826
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

found some sparklers which we'll fire up in the garden after dinner....apparently those are banned in MA too
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:42 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Typical of a liberal -- "unsure" = dithering, no courage of your convictions.
(This could get recursive)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.