Reload this Page >

Birthright Citizenship and Trump

Birthright Citizenship and Trump

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Birthright Citizenship and Trump

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 12:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Just on a point of order... when did child prisons in the USA become "Trump's child prisons"? Your statement strongly implies - as it was presumably meant to do - that Trump himself was so dreadfully wicked as to have invented them, and that they hadn't existed before. But that's not true, is it? Disliking Trump is one thing, but don't let's get carried away.
https://www.childtrends.org/indicato...nile-detention
Of course he didn't invent them, so I'll certainly accept that point. And for Comrade Boiler, too, I hold no brief for Obama. While certainly light years better than Trump and symbolically important in this deeply racially divided country and the first president to manage to get his foot in the door of Fortress Health Care Industry, he still bombed the shit out of a lot of places on the planet and failed to close Guantanamo. What has come after him has made him look much, much better, however.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 12:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

For god's sake, roll on election day, to put an end to this ****ing nonsense.

If you're registered to vote, get out on Tuesday and vote!
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Maybe it isn't really that much of an issue. We don't have to accept the terms of an argument put forth by someone/people with a specific political agenda. The US is a vast country, and the number of children in question not that big in the grand scheme of things. I suspect this is just more of Trump using "immigration" to whip up his base. Far easier than dealing with things that really are problems, and guaranteed to get him votes.

"“The numbers are really quite small. Birth tourism is a reality, but I’m not sure it’s a very big reality in the scheme of things,” said Michael Fix, a senior fellow at the Migration Policy Institute". Whole article linked below.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...ht-citizenship
Thank you very, very much for posting this. Taking 300,000 as a rough mean - there have been 3 million births to unauthorised immigrants in the last ten years according to Pew. I had absolutely no idea it was so many. That is just staggering, and a response is needed.

I had just assumed something like a six-figure total over a ten year period. I didn't know we were talking about millions. Wow.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 12:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
It's not a problem as far as you are concerned because it doesn't affect you.

You're not going to lose your job to an illegal immigrant because they are willing to work cheaper than you. You're not one of the homeless because you've been replaced by illegal immigrants and you've lost your home.

When I was growing up in Chicago I worked in a couple of factories, most of the workers were African American. Today most factory jobs, the ones that exist are employing hispanics. They've pushed the Blacks out. This is a fact. Illegal immigration is here for one reason and one reason only...lower wages. And the result is a huge underclass that need all types of social services and creates social problems for all the unemployed, under employed working class Americans. This is the number one reason for gun violence on the South and West sides of Chicago. It's not gangs it's massive youth unemployment in the Black community.
We're turning into a have and have not society. And the haves have so much empathy for illegal immigrants and have so little empathy for their fellow citizens. Shame on you.
I think we need a little more light and a bit less heat in this discussion. The thread is about the children who are born here acquiring citizenship, therefore they arecnot "illegal". Their presence is completely legal, which is exactly what Trump is making a fuss about - those 85 years of living in the US, remember? That is what he is proposing to stop. So my question was, what harm do these children do to the US, especially when you consider how tiny a percentage of the US population they actually are. The answers you provide are not about these children, but about all undocumented immigrants and while they do only represent less than 4% of of the population, they are not the people I asked the question about.

To the points you have made, however, I don't at all disagree with you on the toll of cheap labour. I think it's naive to think that the permanent underclass in this this country is down to illegal immigration however and your historical memory isn't going back far enough or wide enough. Every capitalist economy requires a surplus of labour. That's how they work. It's always somebody, and always has been somebody. The deep-seated racial divides in this country, founded on genocide, built with slave labour, and sustained by a very long history both of racism and the suppression of workers' rights, have left us where we are today. This is irrespective of whether an immigrant is here with the state's permission or not. If you felt that their lack of status is what allows US business to pay them less, then you could fix the problem by simply making everyone legal. But I'm guessing you don't want that, and I certainly don't think that would fix the gross inequalities here. How will less than 4% of the population make life better for the vast bulk of the rest of us? Do you think if they were gone there would be no underclass? That is not what history suggests, anywhere.

Questions of race (a social, not a biological construct), national origin and immigrant status have been used very successfully to divide and conquer in this country. These things have lately been worked up to fever pitch again because of the electoral and economic goals of the powerful running the country. Here we all are, fighting about immigration (again, it's a trick as old as the hills - Irish, Italians, Jews, Chinese have all had to take their turn) instead of about what matters. And some of the people on the losing end will vote for Trump, thinking he will make their lives better. Guess who wins here.

You might also want to be a bit careful about making assumptions about the lives of people you are talking to who you don't actually know at all. When you are thinking about the "haves", I might tell you about living in a woman's shelter with a small child. Or I might not. Knowledge is better than assumptions, on the whole.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Nov 3rd 2018 at 1:08 pm. Reason: Grammar nazi
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
For god's sake, roll on election day, to put an end to this ****ing nonsense.

If you're registered to vote, get out on Tuesday and vote!

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou
Thank you very, very much for posting this. Taking 300,000 as a rough mean - there have been 3 million births to unauthorised immigrants in the last ten years according to Pew. I had absolutely no idea it was so many. That is just staggering, and a response is needed.

I had just assumed something like a six-figure total over a ten year period. I didn't know we were talking about millions. Wow.
The population of the US is 326 million. So what, less than one per cent?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

The population of the US is 326 million. So what, less than one per cent?
If they were a City they would be 4rd, just behind LA.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Plus their parents, who currently get to stay - so that puts the figure at (give or take) 10 million.

10 million people! That's not a hundred thousand here and a hundred thousand there. At 10 million, pressure and competition gets substantially increased on all sorts of public services and infrastructure, and financing gets sliced and stretched even more than it already is. Where does the money and land come from, for instance, for so much additional social housing and hospital space? Who has to take the hit in their benefits payments?

Please do not try to pretend that this figure is nothing, because it isn't nothing. Ten million in ten years is a "wow" figure. It is adding a Chicago each decade.

The United States does not have the capacity to add a city the size of Chicago of illegal migrants every decade.

Something has to be done about this.

I am actually shocked at the scope of the problem. I thought it was just the usual Trump dramatics and corresponding Newton's Third Law media howling.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
If they were a City they would be 4rd, just behind LA.
And if they were all on a rubber raft it would have sunk.

But they aren't, nor are they all in one place although I'm not sure what difference that would make. They are somewhere in the 3.8 million square miles that is the US.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Ten million in ten years is adding a New Jersey.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 1:51 pm

Plus their parents, who currently get to stay - so that puts the figure at (give or take) 10 million.

10 million people! That's not a hundred thousand here and a hundred thousand there. At 10 million, pressure and competition gets substantially increased on all sorts of public services and infrastructure, and financing gets sliced and stretched even more than it already is. Where does the money and land come from, for instance, for so much additional social housing and hospital space? Who has to take the hit in their benefits payments?

Please do not try to pretend that this figure is nothing, because it isn't nothing. Ten million in ten years is a "wow" figure. It is adding a Chicago each decade.

The United States does not have the capacity to add a city the size of Chicago of illegal migrants every decade.

Something has to be done about this.

I am actually shocked at the scope of the problem. I thought it was just the usual Trump dramatics and corresponding Newton's Third Law media howling.
Brush up on your facts.

These children are not illegal. They are legal. That is what Trump is getting people worked up about.

Their parents do not "get to stay". They can be, and are, deported. Hence the discussion about separating parents and children.

These children can file to bring their parents here legally once they, the children, turn 21.Bit of lag time there.

These children aside, the rate of immigration from Mexico has been declining for about 8 or more years now.

If you are going to make statements about what the US can and can't afford, you might want to research the question a little more thoroughly, in particular the contributions of immigrants, including the undocumented, to the US economy. Businesses and in effect the state have been letting and in some cases encouraging this to happen for a very long time. Why do you think that is? Is it out of charity? Emotive statements not based on fact are the very essence of the populist politics we see now. Who do you think is benefitting from that?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Ten million in ten years is adding a New Jersey.
Allowing for the dubious hypothesis that 10 million is an accurate number, do you think we could squeeze them in somewhere, in the 3.8 million square miles?
It might bring their percentage of the population up to, what, 3%?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 3:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Me, at breakfast time:
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 3:04 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

unsustainable growth would be a good argument, so what is your evidence for this claim?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.