Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Birthright Citizenship and Trump

Birthright Citizenship and Trump

Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:16 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birthright Citizenship and Trump

Originally Posted by robin1234
Our US house race, the Democratic contender might have had a chance of unseating the Republican incumbent - except there is a third candidate, Green Party, who'll probably keep the incumbent safe. Then there's our Dear Leader, Andrew Cuomo, who Five Thirty-Eight have as 95% chance of winning. Several friends of mine are promising to vote for minor candidates for governor, just to "send a message," but I'm voting for him - he's a mean bastard, but he's OUR mean bastard.

We have a Democratic challenger against the Republican governor, although tbh most of our governors in this state end up in jail anyway once their terms are done, irrespective of their party.

We have a Democratic incumbent up in the House, but she's likely to win again anyway.

No US senators are up this year.

So governor would be the biggest Democratic prize.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:20 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Begs the question who caused it before?
My money's on women. Bet they did it.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If they did I would believe them.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I think we need a little more light and a bit less heat in this discussion. The thread is about the children who are born here acquiring citizenship, therefore they arecnot "illegal". Their presence is completely legal, which is exactly what Trump is making a fuss about - those 85 years of living in the US, remember? That is what he is proposing to stop. So my question was, what harm do these children do to the US, especially when you consider how tiny a percentage of the US population they actually are. The answers you provide are not about these children, but about all undocumented immigrants and while they do only represent less than 4% of of the population, they are not the people I asked the question about.

To the points you have made, however, I don't at all disagree with you on the toll of cheap labour. I think it's naive to think that the permanent underclass in this this country is down to illegal immigration however and your historical memory isn't going back far enough or wide enough. Every capitalist economy requires a surplus of labour. That's how they work. It's always somebody, and always has been somebody. The deep-seated racial divides in this country, founded on genocide, built with slave labour, and sustained by a very long history both of racism and the suppression of workers' rights, have left us where we are today. This is irrespective of whether an immigrant is here with the state's permission or not. If you felt that their lack of status is what allows US business to pay them less, then you could fix the problem by simply making everyone legal. But I'm guessing you don't want that, and I certainly don't think that would fix the gross inequalities here. How will less than 4% of the population make life better for the vast bulk of the rest of us? Do you think if they were gone there would be no underclass? That is not what history suggests, anywhere.

Questions of race (a social, not a biological construct), national origin and immigrant status have been used very successfully to divide and conquer in this country. These things have lately been worked up to fever pitch again because of the electoral and economic goals of the powerful running the country. Here we all are, fighting about immigration (again, it's a trick as old as the hills - Irish, Italians, Jews, Chinese have all had to take their turn) instead of about what matters. And some of the people on the losing end will vote for Trump, thinking he will make their lives better. Guess who wins here.

You might also want to be a bit careful about making assumptions about the lives of people you are talking to who you don't actually know at all. When you are thinking about the "haves", I might tell you about living in a woman's shelter with a small child. Or I might not. Knowledge is better than assumptions, on the whole.
Wrong: Illegal immigration doesn't represent 1% of the population. They were saying there were 11 million illegal immigrants back when Gerry Ford was President. That was over forty years ago. No, illegal immigration is probably closer to 40 or 50 million.

Wrong again: Capitalism does not depend on surplus labor. When D' Tocqueville (sp? "Democracy in America" author) visited the country he noted that the North was Economically outpacing the South. He attributed this to slavery. A slave economy has no need to build new mousetraps. When I was working on a construction site with a fellow from India, we were watching a scraper excavate a building site. He said in India they use a hundred guys with buckets and shovels. When you have a surplus of labor to excavate building sites with shovels and buckets there is no need for the design and development of scrapers. Capitalism doesn't depend on a surplus of labor it depends on the circulation of money. Slaves, robots, illegal immigrants making less that the minimum wage don't circulate money. In fact I'm of the opinion that Third World countries are Third World because they have a surplus of labor.
I could easily go on...but I don't want to bore you with the facts.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jeepster
Wrong: Illegal immigration doesn't represent 1% of the population. They were saying there were 11 million illegal immigrants back when Gerry Ford was President. That was over forty years ago. No, illegal immigration is probably closer to 40 or 50 million.
Do you mean worldwide? Where have you obtained your figures.

Pew research placed it at just over 13 million for 2015 . Under 4%.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:43 am

The 1% refers to the children we are talking about on this thread, and potentially their parents. Some calculation of Boiler's I think it was. Illegal immigrants are at about 3.5% of the US population. But these children are not illegal of course.

We will have to debate capitalism at some point when I'm not on my way to sleep.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know what the numbers are, I am pretty sure nobody else does either hence the term undocumented.

I am aware that the number seems to have remained static for a long time which seem somewhat unlikely.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Announcing something you can't achieve, and therefore won't be held to if it fails, that plays well with your voters just before an election, seems like a smart thing to do. Which is why someone else told Trump that he could do it with an executive action and it wasn't even his idea.
If he issues an executive order against birthright citizenship, it will be struck down by the courts. It will then be appealed until it reaches the Supreme Court who will decide whether birthright citizenship of the children of illegals is constitutional. If they rule that it is not constitutional, Trump will get his way. This amendment does not have to be repealed, simply clarified.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
This amendment does not have to be repealed, simply clarified.
Yes. Everybody seems to be assuming (presuming!) that the legal position is settled. It's not.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 3:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Yes. Everybody seems to be assuming (presuming!) that the legal position is settled. It's not.
Its only not settled to the extent that nothing is ever settled. like Please vs Ferguson settled things until they were reversed.
US v. Wong Kim Ark has already settled it to most people's view.

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 5th 2018 at 5:00 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Its only not settled to the extent that nothing is ever settled. like Please vs Ferguson settled things until they were reversed.
US v. Wong Kim Ark has already settled it to most people's view.
That case did not even address a situation where the parent is illegally present, so it certainly did not settle that.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
My money's on women. Bet they did it.
The place only started going to hell in a handbasket from August 18, 1920. Before then it was being run perfectly well.

Last edited by lansbury; Nov 5th 2018 at 8:39 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/31/t...estone-babies/
I'm not a lawyer, and am wary of expressing any kind of legal opinion. But this link explains (at least, I think it does!) why some conservatives believe that the legal position is not at all settled, and that the remedy of any uncertainty by an Executive Order is not out of the question. This commentator is presumably reading from the same book as President Trump is. Interesting...
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:38 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
That case did not even address a situation where the parent is illegally present, so it certainly did not settle that.
The case covered the wording of the amendment, the legality of the parents was irrelevant to that decision.
The very nature of describing someone as illegal infers that they are under the law, and that was what the 6-2 decision decided was what the words of the amendment was talking about.

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 5th 2018 at 10:29 pm.