Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Birthright Citizenship and Trump

Birthright Citizenship and Trump

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 3:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birthright Citizenship and Trump

Originally Posted by jkeller
If it's such a tiny percentage then how come the ballots here in Texas are printed in english and spanish? How come any time I call a company it always starts...for english press 1, para espanol marque nevue?
I just have to return to this post, as it is so baffling. I presume the poster is a Brit immigrant, but if an American then they may be an English speaking immigrant to Texas from several generations ago, but whenever it was it was more recently than some Spanish speakers. Spanish has been spoken in Texas a lot longer than English. Why is the Frenchness of Louisiana celebrated, but the Spanishnese of Texas is ignored, shunned or denied?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

The argument is why would the US hand out the precious gift of US citizenship to the offspring of people that have no connection with the US other than they just happen to be in the US when they give birth? Nowhere in Europe does this, I not sure most Americans don't realize this.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I just have to return to this post, as it is so baffling. I presume the poster is a Brit immigrant, but if an American then they may be an English speaking immigrant to Texas from several generations ago, but whenever it was it was more recently than some Spanish speakers. Spanish has been spoken in Texas a lot longer than English. Why is the Frenchness of Louisiana celebrated, but the Spanishnese of Texas is ignored, shunned or denied?
I'm a US military brat born in the UK. I've lived the last 40+ years in Texas. I used myself as an example in earlier post. Since I was born in the UK before 83 that makes me a British citizen. I have NO connection with the UK other than being born there. There is no reason that I should have British citizenship. After the UK changed their laws in 83, all the US military brats born there are not UK citizens.

Last edited by jkeller; Nov 3rd 2018 at 4:21 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 4:42 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a US military brat born in the UK. I've lived the last 40+ years in Texas. I used myself as an example in earlier post. Since I was born in the UK before 83 that makes me a British citizen. I have NO connection with the UK other than being born there. There is no reason that I should have British citizenship. After the UK changed their laws in 83, all the US military brats born there are not UK citizens.
I was and continue to be confused why claims that Texas should be an Anglo only speaking zone, and Spanish is the language of the outsider, is your evidence. Particularly as it probably easier to make the reverse claim.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 5:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The argument is why would the US hand out the precious gift of US citizenship to the offspring of people that have no connection with the US other than they just happen to be in the US when they give birth? Nowhere in Europe does this, I not sure most Americans don't realize this.
My argument is wtf should anyone care? Citizenship in the US isn't a gift. It's just another country where people live, work and die. It's better than some places to live and worse than others. It has its ups and downs and pros and cons. What it isn't is the promised land. If a few hundred thousand a year get to join the 326 million by this particular route, it's no skin off my nose or yours. They aren't a burden - they work and contribute and like everyone else, some more and some less than others. You don't become a burden by reason of your method of entry.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you don’t think US citizenship is a gift then I would suggest trying to live in some of the countries these people are literally dying to get out of. It might give you some relevant perspective.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
For god's sake, roll on election day, to put an end to this ****ing nonsense.

If you're registered to vote, get out on Tuesday and vote!
If only it would.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

There's another part to this problem that no one seems to be talking about. Why can US citizens sponsor their parents for immigration? What other Western country allows that? I know in Australia and the UK you can only sponsor your parents in very particular hardship situations (where all the persons living children are living in that country for instance). Not allowing citizens to sponsor in their parents would also go a long way to reducing the number of non-residents giving birth in the US just for the birthright citizenship.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada does have a stream for parents and grandparents to be sponsored to come to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ndparents.html

Appears some changes will occur in 2019.

https://www.cicnews.com/2018/08/ircc...9-0811068.html
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PootleK
There's another part to this problem that no one seems to be talking about. Why can US citizens sponsor their parents for immigration?
So that Trump's foreign-born wives can bring in their folks. Guess he's not planning to marry again any time soon . . .
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

There's another part to this problem that no one seems to be talking about. Why can US citizens sponsor their parents for immigration? What other Western country allows that? I know in Australia and the UK you can only sponsor your parents in very particular hardship situations (where all the persons living children are living in that country for instance). Not allowing citizens to sponsor in their parents would also go a long way to reducing the number of non-residents giving birth in the US just for the birthright citizenship.
And their parents some of whom have more wealth back home than most Americans come here and get SSI and free Medicaid while poor Americans have to pay thousands in taxes and health insurance to support them.
Indeed, which other country allows this?
Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:40 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
And their parents some of whom have more wealth back home than most Americans come here and get SSI and free Medicaid while poor Americans have to pay thousands in taxes and health insurance to support them.
Indeed, which other country allows this?
Good grief.

Free your minds, people, free your minds. You do talk a lot of rubbish.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by lansbury
If only it would.

There's a never-ending supply of nonsense.

I have voted though.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you don’t think US citizenship is a gift then I would suggest trying to live in some of the countries these people are literally dying to get out of. It might give you some relevant perspective.
If it's a gift, matey, they had better start making it free to get into.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well each one would contribute on average an extra 12 metric tonnes of CO2, so multiply that by your chosen number, quite an extra addition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.