Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Birth of a ghost town

Birth of a ghost town

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth of a ghost town

Campobello Island only land link is to the US, although part of the year they do have a ferry they can use to avoid going through the US.

This year the ferry was extended to Dec 1st due to COVID since residents of the island while they can enter the US to drive to mainland Canada, they then have to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival back in Canada so its not really viable so they extended the ferry.

But normally outside the ferry months, only way on/off the Island is via Maine.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Saint Pierre and Miquelon sits off the coast of New Foundland but isn't part of Canada, some don't realize it even exists, and many who do assume the islands are part of Canada.

But they are territories of France.

The islands even have their own airline, granted is a small airline with only 2 aircraft and 7 destinations mostly in Canada, but still an airline. The islands during the summer months also have 1 weekly flight to Paris.

The population is around 6,000 people.

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Saint Pierre and Miquelon sits off the coast of New Foundland but isn't part of Canada, some don't realize it even exists, and many who do assume the islands are part of Canada.

The islands even have their own airline, granted is a small airline with only 2 aircraft and 7 destinations mostly in Canada, but still an airline. The islands during the summer months also have 1 weekly flight to Paris.

I forgot I had watched a video about those French islands, very interesting.

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

Seems like an interesting island, its on my list of places to visit, but getting there from western Canada isn't all that affordable, but maybe one day.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 12:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I always wanted to go there. But nowadays, with Google Maps, with You Tube etc, I see it's not entirely necessary. I suppose if I llived in the Maratimes I might be inclinded to visit. I feel like the joy of discovery in travel is somewhat reduced in this internet age.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 12:56 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkeller
I forgot I had watched a video about those French islands, very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2gMCuYY4rk
Will watch this later. Not sure if I have seen before or not.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
I always wanted to go there. But nowadays, with Google Maps, with You Tube etc, I see it's not entirely necessary. I suppose if I llived in the Maratimes I might be inclinded to visit. I feel like the joy of discovery in travel is somewhat reduced in this internet age.
I haven't found the internet a replacement for actually visiting somewhere, sure videos are nice to see what an area has to offer, but for me its not the same as actually going and visiting and meeting the people and trying the local foods and such.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 6:02 pm
Yo

I haven't found the internet a replacement for actually visiting somewhere, sure videos are nice to see what an area has to offer, but for me its not the same as actually going and visiting and meeting the people and trying the local foods and such.
It's not a full replacement, but it does take away some of the wonder. Although of course, using it for trip planning is optional.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I've felt this way when I've heard of people using Google Street View to look at their route from the railway station to their hotel. For me that would detract from the thrill of being in a new city or country for the first time.