British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   best vpn/dns provider?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/best-vpn-dns-provider-861692/)

doconthemove Jul 12th 2015 11:30 pm

best vpn/dns provider??

people here say good things about overplay. any other feedback on the others?

i would like dns and vpn options!

essentially want something that will play all the UK catch up services on a tablet/pc and also to stream them to a tv using apple tv or the inbuilt functions of a smart tv!

kimilseung Jul 13th 2015 12:27 am

Re: best vpn/dns provider??

I dropped down from a VPN to a smart DNS, as the VPN was overkill for my needs. I use UnoTelly, I do pay for a VPN from UnoTelly for occasional use, but it is much cheaper than my previous service, day to day, just use the smart DNS. No problems or complaints. They often do quite lengthy try for free offers, check their Facebook out.

doconthemove Jul 13th 2015 12:56 am

tried the free trial of unotelly couldnt get bbc iplayer to work. doing something wrong??

kimilseung Jul 13th 2015 12:58 am

Originally Posted by doconthemove (Post 11697891)
tried the free trial of unotelly couldnt get bbc iplayer to work. doing something wrong??

I dont know, it works for me. Did you use their help system? But there are so many options out there, probably best to just find one that works out of the box, for whatever system you have.

doconthemove Jul 13th 2015 1:54 am

worked on ipad but not on pc. confused!

markonline1 Jul 13th 2015 4:45 am

I use UnoTelly and everything works for me.

sallycroft Jul 13th 2015 8:06 am

You can try PureVPN to access blocked content in UK. It works perfect in smart TV and all other devices

kodokan Jul 13th 2015 3:38 pm

Been using Overplay for about 6-7 years, first in Switzerland and now here, and it's been rock solid reliable the whole time.

lansbury Jul 13th 2015 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by doconthemove (Post 11697861)
people here say good things about overplay. any other feedback on the others?

i would like dns and vpn options!

I think you would be hard pushed to find something better than smartdns from overplay. If you really need vpn they have that as well.

doconthemove Jul 14th 2015 3:12 am

unotelly is 65 for the year overplay is 99 (both for smartdns and vpn) is overplay worth the extra 35??

lansbury Jul 14th 2015 4:30 am

Originally Posted by doconthemove (Post 11698788)
unotelly is 65 for the year overplay is 99 (both for smartdns and vpn) is overplay worth the extra 35??

Overplay smartdns is $49.95 for a year. That will enable you to stream TV programs as you detailed in your OP.

kimilseung Jul 14th 2015 5:04 am

Originally Posted by doconthemove (Post 11698788)

https://www2.unotelly.com/plans
UnoTelly seems to me to be:
$47.95 for a year SmartDNS (close enough to Overplay to make no odds)
$59.95 for a year Smart DNS + VPN

TimFountain Jul 17th 2015 12:38 am

Private Internet Access. I've had it for a couple of years and it has worked well for my various needs including UK VPN. It is multi-platform and fast. I tried a lot of the free/lower cost stuff and it didn't work (for me).

Private Internet Access doesn't keep any data records/logs, if that is important to you....

username.exe Jul 17th 2015 6:01 am

Just a heads' up, I signed up for DNS via Overplay yesterday.

Using the coupon code: VPNFAN you can get 25% off; 12 months cost just $37 which is pretty much just a small round of drinks.
More details here: OverPlay 37% Off Discount Coupon Code

kimilseung Jul 17th 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by username.exe (Post 11701419)
Just a heads' up, I signed up for DNS via Overplay yesterday.

Using the coupon code: VPNFAN you can get 25% off; 12 months cost just $37 which is pretty much just a small round of drinks.
More details here: OverPlay 37% Off Discount Coupon Code

Thanks, I am up for renewal at the end of the month, so I might make the switch.