Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Best State to retire in

Best State to retire in

Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best State to retire in

Originally Posted by mrken30
This was an interesting article if you are looking to retire in the near future.

Where Are The Best And Worst States To Retire? | Bankrate.com

It was interesting Oregon comes at position 48
I did the usual google search & found one website that sort of answered most of what I would ask. Covering almost every possibility from, crime rates, utility costs, property taxes, property prices, schools, coffee shops, cars & gasoline, climate etc etc

Now from all that data, if that helps anyone make a decision, I'd be interested to know

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

https://wallethub.com/edu/energy-costs-by-state/4833/

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...live-in/16581/
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Eastern San Diego County can be nice for those seeking more rural living but want to be near a major city. The communities to the east are within an hour's drive of downtown typically.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
SLO (San Luis Obispo) does sound interesting. I've driven through it a few times, I can imagine it has just enough 'amenities' to keep me happy (decent stores, decent restaurants is really all I care about). Santa Barbara is beautiful but simply way too expensive. SLO does seem a bit isolated, in terms of major airports, etc.

I personally don't like coastal CA any longer; after 10 years 'on the coast' in SF, I'm totally done with coastal fog. I'm quite intrigued by inland San Diego. I remember driving from AZ to San Diego; after a relentless drive through the desert, you suddenly hit a mountain range and some (seemingly) lovely communities. I'm perfectly OK with inland summer heat, having spent 5 years in Scottsdale (and 30 years in Walnut Creek).

Another alternative for retirement, which I'm advocating to my partner, is 'two location' living. Instead of picking one location for 100% of the time, having two smaller places in two states seems attractive. I really like Scottsdale for all but 4 months in summer; I need to find a cheap location for the summer months ... certain parts of CO perhaps? I am pretty confident we can afford two places for the price of our current house in CA. And when it finally comes time to really downsize, I'd just go with Scottsdale as it has very good healthcare options.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That isn't too far away from Oregon which was voted the 3rd worse state. I plan on moving to WA when I retire. I am not a fan of the 9% income tax and high property tax.
We retired to the Oregon coast back in 2015. Low property prices, low property tax, low utilities and no sales tax were all a factor. Yes, the weather can suck, but it is also insanely beautiful, and being British, a bit of rain is neither here nor there.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:33 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

SLO (San Luis Obispo) does sound interesting. I've driven through it a few times, I can imagine it has just enough 'amenities' to keep me happy (decent stores, decent restaurants is really all I care about). Santa Barbara is beautiful but simply way too expensive. SLO does seem a bit isolated, in terms of major airports, etc.

I personally don't like coastal CA any longer; after 10 years 'on the coast' in SF, I'm totally done with coastal fog. I'm quite intrigued by inland San Diego. I remember driving from AZ to San Diego; after a relentless drive through the desert, you suddenly hit a mountain range and some (seemingly) lovely communities. I'm perfectly OK with inland summer heat, having spent 5 years in Scottsdale (and 30 years in Walnut Creek).

Another alternative for retirement, which I'm advocating to my partner, is 'two location' living. Instead of picking one location for 100% of the time, having two smaller places in two states seems attractive. I really like Scottsdale for all but 4 months in summer; I need to find a cheap location for the summer months ... certain parts of CO perhaps? I am pretty confident we can afford two places for the price of our current house in CA. And when it finally comes time to really downsize, I'd just go with Scottsdale as it has very good healthcare options.
The frequent fogs along the coast can be daunting. Driving long distance up the coast during the foggy season is not something I'd like to repeat.

Colorado would be another option for me, somewhere around Colorado Springs or Durango. I also like Flagstaff, Arizona, warm but not too warm in summer, a little snow sometimes in winter. more rain than in So Cal. but up in the mountains and only 80 or so miles from the Grand Canyon.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:28 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Crime rate by state is a worthless evaluation, as an example the crime rate in North Portland vs Lake Oswego second world vs the affluent all within 10 miles of each other. Climate in Oregon the cold alvord desert vs the quite temperate. rainy south coast. The economy of Portland metro area vs the central and eastern 75% of the state.
Best place to retire in Oregon may well be the Portland metro area, the other 80% of the state is not in the same category....However if healthy, outdoorsy and adventurous then Bend may be unbeatable, 165 miles from Portland.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 5:51 am
Sailorchief

Sailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really nice

Paradise Valley Montana if it wasn't for the winter!
Old Feb 5th 2017, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sailorchief
Paradise Valley Montana if it wasn't for the winter!
But that's why two-state living is a good idea. A single home in CA could equate to two homes in two less expensive states. House in Montana for the summer, house in AZ for the winter. Could be less expensive than one home in CA.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkeller
What's more interesting is South Dakota is #2 and North Dakota ranks #12. Really, has anybody here ever heard of someone retiring TO the Dakotas? Anyone willing to retire to Minot....anyone....anyone????
Apparently you haven't heard the saying: "why not minot?"
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:13 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

.... other than repose, there should be a ranking for Best State to Die In.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Cheapest burial plots?
Old Feb 10th 2017, 4:57 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
A right to die state if you end up with Alzeimers or completely paralyzed by a stroke. California and Oregon are right to die states
Old Feb 10th 2017, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

But that's why two-state living is a good idea. A single home in CA could equate to two homes in two less expensive states. House in Montana for the summer, house in AZ for the winter. Could be less expensive than one home in CA.
I lived in north Idaho for a while near Canadian border. Quite a few people did exactly that, North Idaho in the late spring, summer and early fall, then Arizona when the snow hit.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 7:29 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
A right to die state if you end up with Alzeimers or completely paralyzed by a stroke. California and Oregon are right to die states
However to take advantage of 'physician assisted suicide' you must be of sound mind. Your heirs...err... loving relatives can play no part.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by morpeth
I lived in north Idaho for a while near Canadian border. Quite a few people did exactly that, North Idaho in the late spring, summer and early fall, then Arizona when the snow hit.
Similar summer weather with a bit more elevation would be Bend-Sisters- Sun River in central Oregon. Even in winter usually quite sunny if coldish. This winter is one for the books however 6 feet of snow so far and counting.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Similar summer weather with a bit more elevation would be Bend-Sisters- Sun River in central Oregon. Even in winter usually quite sunny if coldish. This winter is one for the books however 6 feet of snow so far and counting.
Coeur d'Alene, Hayden Lake, even Sandpoint all great places in the summer, but I remember driving through Oregon some nice places as well.

Amazing , for price of a home in California, one can get house on one of the lakes in north Idaho plus a winter place in Arizona.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.