Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Best State to Live - Opinons?

Best State to Live - Opinons?

Old Jan 12th 2003, 2:21 am
Soft

Default Re: Best State to Live - Opinons?

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 04:30:55 +0000, dazeychain
wrote:

>Hi there Karryl,
    >We live in Collinsville, IL, which is just ten minutes away from St
    >Louis, and I'll (eventually) be looking for a job in IT account
    >management/pr/marketing. So I'm sorry to hear about your lay-off, and
    >maybe it'll be harder than I thought to find a job.
    >Incidentally, do you know of a newsagent in St Louis that sells British
    >newspapers? I found a shop in Westport Plaza but it only sells weekly
    >papers, and I'd love to get my hands on a daily, if not The Scotsman,
    >then the Guardian or Times. I'd be most grateful :-)
    >Peace,
    >D.

I know the shop your speakng of...I can't help you with finding a
paper though.
I actually live about 1.5 hours nw of downtown...there have been
positions in downtown I could do but it is just too far...esp in rush
hour... for me to drive daily.
Karryl

Old Jan 12th 2003, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, that's cool, I was just wondering if you knew of anywhere that I could go to buy a daily paper...I didn't want you to bring me it or anything!

Peace,

D.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 1:46 pm
Kara Tyson

>
    > Why would that be? Did the single women leave town?
    > I doubt the statistic is accurate and a look at the census website will
    > confirm that

I think Ladies Home Journal was the last to do a study. And it depends
when the last census was taken (at the last census I was never
counted..never got anything in the mail and no one came to my home).

Kara

Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

cropmom11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to comment that I stumbled onto this discussion while trying to find information on where the best places to live are--and information about good palces for allergy sufferers.

It has brought a smile to my face to read everyone's opinions--which I so desparately needed today, to smile.

It's so interesting to hear opinions from people who aren't born and raised here--and therefore, see things natives don't notice. [You don't always notice things that "have always been" that way.]

I particularly like the discussion on driving in Atlanta. Amen!

The Texas discussion--I lived there for a bit and I concur with everything said.

AND, I think it is true, that everyone is so diverse, it is difficult to pick a place that will suit us all. But I did pick up some useful information about locations.

My DH is up for a promotion that will necessitate a move--another one! We JUST moved to PA 18 months ago, and I wholeheartedly agree with the man who posted this initial comment. Yes, the taxes and cost of living are horrid.

I am fine with moving, but nervous about finding someplace that will be better. Want to trade up, you see. Our next destination is largely open to the US, but having so many options is overwhelming. Anyway, I just really wanted to say thanks for the good discussion. I enjoyed reading it all!!!

Sincerely,
Alicia
Hails from KY, moved 23 times, 6 states.
Now exiled to PA.
In search of a new home.
[Once engaged to an British ex-patriot]

:-)
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:22 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by beyness
could live in OZ or NZ, but instead I got stuck with a bloody Englishman!
Hey, you leave us tea-drinking Brits alone!!!!!!!!!

We live in South Florida, and although where we are is very pretty and clean, the rate of pay is fairly good, and it's not TOO expensive, we both just can't stand the heat of the summer. It's probably the worst place in the US for us to live for that reason, but everything else is ok. The storms can be spectacular, too!

Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:29 pm
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stevelisaw
Ohio where we live is probably the most boring state I've ever lived in the only thing here to do is go out to eat or the movies......and boy does that show (Cleveland was one of the top 10 fattest cities in the US).
And I thought it was just me that thought that...

Hmmm... I though people were that fat all over the US. Maybe there is still hope!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:14 pm
David9287

Don't bite my foot off but without a doubt Colorado is the promise land :-) Warm summer nights under the stars, cold winter nights infront of a fire place with that someone special. What more is there to life?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

WiAnSiempre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Scout
I guess I should weigh in from the South, since not many have. I live in Atlanta.
Leslie

Here's another vote for Atlanta. I grew up in Atlanta and love it here. You don't want to live "in" the city, though. But the suburbs around and to the North are really nice. You have beautiful lakes and mountains in the North and Sea to the East. The weather is nice. Actually 4 seasons, although the winters are pretty mild. The summers can get pretty hot, but not for a long time. I lived in Florida for 7 years and am very glad to be back in Georgia. Florida was just tooo hot and like more than 2 seasons a year!

The housing market and cost of living is not too bad in the Atlanta area (compared with the Northern states).

The job market in Atlanta has not faired well with all the IT lay offs, but it does seem to be picking up recently. And Leslie is right about the traffic...it's the worst in the country! If you can avoid having to work in a office downtown, it is well worth it. A lot of large companies are actually outside the city, so if you can land a job in one of these, perfect.

Angela
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:33 pm
The Survivors!!

Clare & Steven is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't read everyone's response yet, but here's mine:
New Jerseyyyyyyyy!!
We have 4 seasons too. We also have beaches & boardwalks, skiing, legal gambling (Atlantic City), horse racing, mountains, countrysides and farmlands, many parks and tons of things to do here!
Our average income is one of the highest in the country. Ok, our car insurance is one of the highest too...(we need those high incomes to pay for it)
We're next to New York City for Broadway shows and entertainment, and to the Pennsylvania and the Pocono Mountains for more skiing! No volcanos or earthquakes here either
Even if you don't want to move here, at least come to visit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that our reputation for being a dirty smoggy state isn't true
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Kimberly is an unknown quantity at this point

ALASKA!!!

I love this state. No sales tax, no state tax.
It is so beautiful here. I never tire of the mountains, trees and wildlife. Alaska is a very unique state too. In many ways it doesn't feel like it is part of the US. But, of course it is the 49th state!

Kimberly
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Oh please don't let my Indiana STBH read that! He loves Alaska, would hate to live in Florida, has little good to say about CA and let's face it ... I'd go wherever he lived anyway!
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

ire blues will become famous soon enoughire blues will become famous soon enough

In Atlanta, you are only about and hour's drive from the mountains and a 3 hour drive to the coast. So recreation is easily available.

LOL...3 hours to the coast? How fast do you drive?
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:27 pm
Tod's Princess

Location: Me: Ghent, Belgium - Tod: Providence (Rhode Island), USA
Noortje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RI?

Hi!

Anyone here living in Rhode Island or knowing RI pretty well? How is it to live in RI? I have been there and it's a great place to visit.
I'll probably live in RI for some time after my boyfriend and I get married.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

ire blues will become famous soon enoughire blues will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by cindyabs
Although I live in Georgia, my heart will always be in New England. Born in New Hampshire grew up 40 miles from the Quebec border in the woods!! Talk about cold (45 below one January) and snow...... Moved across the Conn. River to the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont and lived there until I was 21. There is nothing like New England in the fall....lovely in spring (mud season, and the summer.....
But there's one small problem-you pay for the privilege of living there. Beautiful but not cheap, and not for sissies!!.
I have to agree with you cindyabs...I am still a Connecticut Yankee at heart, though I lived many years in Asheville, North Carolina and almost 20 years in Atlanta.

I could not afford to move back to CT, but I think it is a lovely area. I am however thinking of a move back to NC (after saying, "I will never move back to that hick town again", I guess age has changed me). The idea of a smaller city and slower lifestyle is becoming more appealing to me. When I moved to Atlanta, the population had just reached 1 million and seems such a different place now.

I will find out next week if I am going to part of a 5% work reduction plan at my company and that may just get me looking more seriously at a move back to that little 'hick' town...lol
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

WiAnSiempre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ire blues
In Atlanta, you are only about and hour's drive from the mountains and a 3 hour drive to the coast. So recreation is easily available.

LOL...3 hours to the coast? How fast do you drive?
LOL - We Atlantans drive fast !! I can make it to the coast in 3 to 4 hours easy

Angela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.