British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Best State to Live - Opinons? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/best-state-live-opinons-125452/)

Nightstick Jan 8th 2003 5:20 am

Best State to Live - Opinons?

Hi Folks

Just wondered if I could get some input on a state to move to.

Currently in PA, the job situation is really bad and the taxes ARE terrible!

My Wife can't get work, since being laid off and we are thinking of going back
to Australia, unless we find some where were we can make a new start.

Hope we can some ideas

Cheers & Thanks

Shel

Mrtravel Jan 8th 2003 5:51 am

Re: Best State to Live - Opinons?

Not really, many states have their ups and downs.
Let's take California.
I like the weather where I live. The job situation is good for me. It
will be better in the future.
However, the cost of living is high, taxes are high and will get higher
with the record state deficit we are having. Some people like having
four seasons.. I hate cold weather. The high today in Santa Cruz was
supposed to be 69. I spent the weekend in Las Vegas. Not too cold in the
winter, but hot in the summer. Housing prices are reasonable and there
is a lot of entertainment.

Australia wouldn't be a bad choice.

To be honest, I think you need to decide what you want to do and I doubt
anything someone says in this newsgroup is going to be enough for you to
pack up and move to that location.

nightstick wrote:
    >
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > Just wondered if I could get some input on a state to move to.
    >
    > Currently in PA, the job situation is really bad and the taxes ARE terrible!
    >
    > My Wife can't get work, since being laid off and we are thinking of going back
    > to Australia, unless we find some where were we can make a new start.
    >
    > Hope we can some ideas
    >
    > Cheers & Thanks
    >
    > Shel

Steggy Jan 8th 2003 6:16 am

nightstick wrote:
    >
    > Hi Folks
    >
    >
    >
    > My Wife can't get work, since being laid off and we are thinking of going back
    >
    > Hope we can some ideas
    >
    > Cheers & Thanks
    >
    > Shel

I love Arizona, but I too got laid off and have a terrible
time finding something decent. Do not forget though that it
is not just the US that has ecomical problems, it's all over
the place. I know a bunch of people who returned to their
homeland, but still waiting for things to improve.
--
steg

Christa Jan 8th 2003 9:22 am

Try these links for the best places to live.

http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/
http://www.bestplaces.net/

"nightstick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Folks
    > Currently in PA, the job situation is really bad and the taxes ARE
terrible!
    > My Wife can't get work, since being laid off and we are thinking of going
back
    > Hope we can some ideas
    > Cheers & Thanks
    > Shel

beyness Jan 8th 2003 11:03 am

I'd hightail it to Australia if I were you! But that's just me.. greg and I always moan because we met in Australia and I always joked that I was looking for an Aussie to settle down with so I could live in OZ or NZ, but instead I got stuck with a bloody Englishman! :) He says the same about me :) If I were ever presented with a choice of living in OZ or NZ over America, I wouldn't even have to think about it twice. But if you really like the US, I'd go out west. At least they are a LITTLE more progressive out there (for the most part).

Michael D. Young Jan 8th 2003 12:08 pm

nightstick wrote:

> Hi Folks
    > Hope we can some ideas
    > Cheers & Thanks
    > Shel

Hi All!

Well you might moving down to the People's Republic of Maryland just outside of
DC. Not going to get any breaks on taxes, since they tax everything but the air
down here, but might land a job.

Take care,

Mike :)

stevelisaw Jan 8th 2003 12:14 pm

Originally posted by beyness
But if you really like the US, I'd go out west. At least they are a LITTLE more progressive out there (for the most part).

I'd have to agree with that, unless you don't mind cold weather, then areas like NYC, Boston & Chicago are pretty progressive as well. Chicago was one of the first places I took Steve where people didn't ask "where are you from?" or turn to stare at him when he spoke.(Chitown is one of my fav places.....so much to do there.)

Grew up in Northwest Indiana, which when the economy is good, was a boom town, but when the economy slumps is fairly terrible....at one time it did have the most affordable housing per capita in the US as well as the most millionaires (Birth place of the RV/Mobile home industry) .

Ohio where we live is probably the most boring state I've ever lived in the only thing here to do is go out to eat or the movies......and boy does that show (Cleveland was one of the top 10 fattest cities in the US).

Missouri was a bit too backward for me, but that's from a Northern perspective. Although St. Louis wasn't too bad, but was hour drive. Did have pretty country though, but so many bugs and snakes where we were. (Moved there and instantly met 3 people bit by Copperhead snakes in their garden, along with ticks whose bites caused lyme disease and brown recluse spiders ....lol felt I'd been dropped into nomans land!!)

Given a choice of where to live, and not taking climate into the picture, it would have to be Oregon or Washington State. If for nothing more than all the choices of outdoor activities and beauty.

Arizona would be nice for climate....and for Steve & Ian's allergies....lol. Right about now, anywhere warm would be better than here (looking at snow out window).

A-Lee Jan 8th 2003 12:44 pm

Florida...I live in Florida. No State Taxes and the sales tax is not bad.
Florida weather is not bad with the exception of July-August because it is
so hot here but a nice air-conditioner in the home and your car will take
care of this. The winters are mild compared to up north and there are jobs
here though and we have Mickey Mouse, Pluto, and Goofy if you can afford to
go there.....at least Florida residents gets a small discount. It also
depends on what area of Florida you live in. Some places have a higher cost
of living.

"nightstick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Folks
    > Currently in PA, the job situation is really bad and the taxes ARE
terrible!
    > My Wife can't get work, since being laid off and we are thinking of going
back
    > Hope we can some ideas
    > Cheers & Thanks
    > Shel

beyness Jan 8th 2003 12:56 pm

I personally think Indiana is pretty horrible and I live in Indianapolis! It doesn't encourage you to get out at all and I haven't had the most interesting conversation among the average citizen here.. I guess I got spoiled being in the UK for 2 months, with really good newspapers, Sainsbury's and intelligent conversation... not knocking anyone that lives in Indiana, but I'm getting a bit stir crazy living here.

Rete Jan 8th 2003 2:05 pm

Originally posted by stevelisaw
I'd have to agree with that, unless you don't mind cold weather, then areas like NYC, Boston & Chicago are pretty progressive as well. Chicago was one of the first places I took Steve where people didn't ask "where are you from?" or turn to stare at him when he spoke.(Chitown is one of my fav places.....so much to do there.)

So many factors to take into consideration when trying to decide where to make the major move to.

You have to consider lifestyles, career choices, weather preferences, schooling if you have children or plan to in the near future, housing availability and affordability, etc.

NYC is progressive but a damn expensive place to live. Houses in the 'burbs of New York City (Westchester County, Rockland County and Long Island) made a medium price tag of $350,000 for approx. 1/4 acre and two or three bedrooms with 1 and 1/2 baths. If you work in NYC you will be paying NYS tax, NYC communter tax, Federal tax and if you live in Westchester you will be paying at present 8-1/4% sales tax which is set to go up to 12% this year. And if you live in the city of Yonkers, you will pay 15% to the city of whatever you paid in NYS tax for the privilege of living here.

So unless you are guaranteed a good job with a great salary then this is NOT the place to be.

Rete

Rete Jan 8th 2003 2:06 pm

Originally posted by A-Lee
Florida...I live in Florida. <snip>
we have Mickey Mouse, Pluto, and Goofy <snip>

We here in New York City have our own Goofy thank you very much. He goes under the name of Bloomberg.

Rete

southcoast Jan 8th 2003 2:30 pm

Texas?...

No-one has nominated Texas yet......so here goes...

There are quite a few Brits and I have met a few Aussies here
in Dallas, but there are many really nice cities here in Texas,
You have Dallas/Fort worth, Austin, Houston to name but a few...

Weather is Aussie style here in the summer...REALLY HOT, spring and fall are really nice months, and generally it is a short winter.

Houses are so cheap right now its un-real (in suburbs)4 bed 3 bathroom for anywhere between $150,000 to $225,000 and above.
Some custom builders are doing deals on ZERO down at 5.5% interest.

You don't say what you do for employment, but IT and Telecommunications in Dallas is VERY slow, but its the same all ove the states I guess!

The only thing I would say thats bad are the highways for getting to and fro work, but I also hear its the same in NY and L.A.

Texans are generally very nice people, but there driving habits
are pretty bad.

Anyways Good luck on where ever you choose to live.

stevelisaw Jan 8th 2003 2:41 pm

Re: Texas?...

Originally posted by southcoast
No-one has nominated Texas yet......so here goes...

There are quite a few Brits and I have met a few Aussies here
in Dallas, but there are many really nice cities here in Texas,
You have Dallas/Fort worth, Austin, Houston to name but a few...

Weather is Aussie style here in the summer...REALLY HOT, spring and fall are really nice months, and generally it is a short winter.

Houses are so cheap right now its un-real (in suburbs)4 bed 3 bathroom for anywhere between $150,000 to $225,000 and above.
Some custom builders are doing deals on ZERO down at 5.5% interest.

Texans are generally very nice people, but there driving habits
are pretty bad.

Anyways Good luck on where ever you choose to live.
lol signing up to move to Texas! Housing is same price rang here, our taxes are reasonable in Ohio sales tax is 5.25% for our county, but Buckeye drivers are the most impolite of anywhere I've ever lived. (Europe and US) On the whole I'd not vote for Ohio as a place to live. Too many plant closing right now.

jeninifer Jan 8th 2003 2:45 pm

I live in Indiana and I love it - as does my UK born husband.

I think that it's up to the person to make the most of where they live. I mean, let's face it - some people are going to be miserable no matter where they are.

I spend a lot of time in both Indianapolis and Evansville - two metropolitan areas in south central and southern Indiana. I also read the newspapers from both cities on a daily basis and they are stuffed with Help Wanted ads.

http://www.indystar.com/ - Indianapolis' Major Newspaper

http://www.courierpress.com/ - Evansville's Major Newspaper

Indiana's taxes are relatively low and there are no crazy vehicle tags, tests or pricey inspections.

The weather here is a nice mixture of all four seasons, which is one of my favorite aspects. I'm not the kind of person that wants the same weather all the time. I must admit, the summers seems a lot longer and warmer than I remember as a kid!

One of my best friends moved here from California two years ago and at the time couldn't WAIT to move back home. Now she doesn't want to go back to California at all and hopes to settle in Bloomington, Indiana - another great city.

The most important thing to remember is that you're going to have to adapt wherever you go. A city won't adapt to you or your needs. For a while you might have to extend a hand to get to know people or make yourself available to volunteer or become involved in the community.

I think people are generally good. They might not be easy to find, but they're out there. It just takes time to get to know people.

Best of luck.

Jennifer

beyness Jan 8th 2003 3:16 pm

[.Quote

Indiana's taxes are relatively low and there are no crazy vehicle tags, tests or pricey inspections.

Those "pricey inspections" are what keep the air quality clean! That is why Indiana has the 2nd poorest air quality in our country! I am all for pricey inspections if it makes me breathe a bit better...