Beer and Travels!

Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer and Travels!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe in Chicago. Round here most craft beers (whether local or from out of state) start at 5%, and 6%, or more, is not uncommon.
I agree with this.

There are a few microbrews that do some low % session brews where I am but they are the minority.

Lot of really good microbrews though.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:28 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Do you really mean regular mild? Mild is a pretty rare beast in the UK these days, though still more common in the Midlands.
A brewery in Seattle has recently started doing a mild (3.7). It is bloody good too!

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 17th 2014 at 10:44 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:34 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
A long time ago, some wag pointed out that cars got 20% more "miles per gallon" in Canada than in the US. One time, wife's BMW went for reflashing the ECU due to an emissions recall. I noticed at first that the car trip computer showed that it was getting much improved mileage and I then noted that the dealer had set the unit of measurement to imperial rather than US.
The UK mainstream media often fails to adjust US MPG ratings to imperial. It's a pretty ridiculous error to make.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:41 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I agree with this.

There are a few microbrews that do some low % session brews where I am but they are the minority.

Lot of really good microbrews though.
I think you're in New England. In your area:
Berkshire Brewing Company
Jack's Abby
Maine Beer Company
Notch Brewing
Night Shift Brewing

...all specialize in sessionable lagers and ales. Maine and Berkshire in particular are outstanding.

Smuttynose makes several session ales (Star Island Single being my favorite). There's lots of lager brewing in Vermont right now as well.

Actually, the cutting edge of the cutting edge of American microbrew is sour beer right now. The US breweries are generally really bad at that style, though.

Last edited by Hiro11; Nov 17th 2014 at 10:44 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I think you're in New England. In your area:
Berkshire Brewing Company
Jack's Abby
Maine Beer Company
Notch Brewing
Night Shift Brewing

...all specialize in sessionable lagers and ales. Maine and Berkshire in particular are outstanding.

Smuttynose makes several session ales (Star Island Single being my favorite). There's lots of lager brewing in Vermont right now as well.

Actually, the cutting edge of the cutting edge of American microbrew is sour beer right now. The US breweries are generally really bad at that style, though.
Yeah, I am...but no, they don't have that many session beers.

Jack's one is lovely, but it's $10 for a 4 pack, apart from the anniversary summer one they just had. BBC, really nice, but it still wasn't a low session beer. MBC don't sell down my way but they are good I agree. Not seen Notch of Night Shift sold anywhere I go.

There are plenty of other small microbrews about, but they don't tend to sell very far or happen to be very affordable.

Considering the amount of beer being brewed in the area, you've kind of just shown how little there is that's in the session kind of class.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The UK mainstream media often fails to adjust US MPG ratings to imperial. It's a pretty ridiculous error to make.
Indeed. My Mustang GT gets the same mileage as Alfa did in the UK despite the Mustang having an engine more than 50% larger than the Alfa. The Mustang only gets about 2mpg less than the 1.6 Ford Sierra I used to drive, despite the Mustang having an engine almost three times larger than the Sierra! There is more to mpg than engine size.

The Mustang is more fun to drive than the Sierra was.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 17th 2014 at 11:53 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 1:45 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

A "pint" is not standard terminology in the US for a glass or mug of beer any more than a large size pizza has to be a certain diameter.
That's not a like for like comparison though. There is a specific definition of how many fluid ounces there are in a pint - the same cannot be said for how many inches there are in a "large", although I suspect Frankie Howerd may have held forth on the subject.....

If a place is advertising a pint at a certain price, then I would expect to get a full pint for that price (US pint round here, not a proper pint). Admittedly not many do show pints on the menu, but some do. An infuriating number of places just show "draft" or "bottle" on the menu, and its up to the customer to either take a chance, or else ask a (normally clueless) waiter/ress how big the draft is, at which point 90% of the time the reply is a point in the direction of another table, or else a ridiculous game of charades with 2 index fingers held about 10" apart to show the size of the glass.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 2:05 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Wherever I have worked a pint is 16 oz and an imperial pint is 20 oz. If the server doesn't know the size of the draft where they work then they shouldn't be working there.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 2:54 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Wherever I have worked a pint is 16 oz and an imperial pint is 20 oz. If the server doesn't know the size of the draft where they work then they shouldn't be working there.
Indeed.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I am in my locals mug club which i paid $25 for 10 years ago. I have my own engraved 24oz mug and get it filled for the price of a regular 16oz pint, even during happy hour when a pint is $1.50. All craft brews too

Anyone on the west side heard of "Oggis"? it is a sports, brewhouse & pizza type place.