Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

On Becoming More British

Wikiposts

On Becoming More British

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:30 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On Becoming More British

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
We have about 6 holly bushes in our flowerbeds. I don't know if it's the same variety as the UK though. I've bought mistletoe, but I have no idea where it was grown.
We have mistletoe growing in our trees here.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:31 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Does holly not grow in North America then? Or is it a different variety of there? How about mistletoe? I once accompanied a Ukrainian lady and her daughter (from Ivano Frankovsk) on a literary trip down to Stratford-upon-Avon and when we saw this holly bush in a park laden down with ripe red berries she claimed never to have seen holly before.
We have a variety here in my neck of the woods known as the Savannah Holly, appropriate,
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rpjs
Personally, as an amateur vexillologist, I'm all for flying flags, and am quite looking to forward to us getting our own house here in due course, and adding a flagpole if it doesn't already have one. I have a schedule of flags already worked out: St George's (I am English) and the Welsh Red Dragon (I studied and lived in Wales) on the respective national days, maybe the UJ for official UK flag-flying days. I'll fly the Stars and Stripes most other days though, and I'd like to get a 13-star "Betsy Ross" original pattern for 4th of July and Flag Day.

If I dared, I might get a Cambridge Flag for 4th of July - this is the actual flag the United States was using when they declared independence: the thirteen red and white stripes but the (18th-century pattern) Union Jack in the canton. I suspect any future neighbors wouldn't know that though and might think I'm taking the piss!
You'll probably get told off by someone for not following the Flag Code if you don't show the star-spangled banner at the same time, and in the position of eminence

I'll fly the George Cross on April 23rd and, if I'm still working for the same company I do now remotely, then I'll get two days off in July - 4th for the US, and 5th for Tynwald Day (the Manx national day), so that'll be the stars & stripes on top of the triskelion that day Hmm, that'd be another day off in June too - the Isle of Man has a public holiday for Senior Race Day - the final race day of the TT motorcycle races
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
You'll probably get told off by someone for not following the Flag Code if you don't show the star-spangled banner at the same time, and in the position of eminence

I'll fly the George Cross on April 23rd and, if I'm still working for the same company I do now remotely, then I'll get two days off in July - 4th for the US, and 5th for Tynwald Day (the Manx national day), so that'll be the stars & stripes on top of the triskelion that day Hmm, that'd be another day off in June too - the Isle of Man has a public holiday for Senior Race Day - the final race day of the TT motorcycle races
You don't have to fly the US flag with another one, just display it properly if you do.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
One week in and I find that Im speaking like the Queen!! I seem to have developed 40 plums in my mouth!!! what's happening to me!!
I know what you mean! When I first came here I had a little crisis because I suddenly started becoming aware of how I speak, (RP/sarf London with a bit of Yorkshire mixed in )and wondered how I could keep it up when I dont often hear people speak like I do. In shops I can veer towards the overly precise and "posh". I`ve also become aware of how I phrase things and bet I come out with some right gobbledegook in an effort to be understood.
I still tend to say things like "good to go" as if they`ve got inverted commas around them.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
One week in and I find that Im speaking like the Queen!! I seem to have developed 40 plums in my mouth!!! what's happening to me!!
4 days into a recce in Connecticut and I'm the same! It's almost like the further from London I get the posher I become!

Unfortunately as soon as I open my mouth I find that everyone first tells me how 'cute' my accent is and then instantly follows up with a question about the royal wedding. I can't somehow bring myself to tell them that I really couldn't care less about the whole thing, so find myself stuck in a 5 minute smile-and-nod-graciously-athon whilst they go on about Kate Middleton's dress. Yet more queen like behaviour!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

velkyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fashionista
Unfortunately as soon as I open my mouth I find that everyone first tells me how 'cute' my accent is and then instantly follows up with a question about the royal wedding.
I normally respond with something along the lines of "didn't you guys fight a revolutionary war to get rid of the Royal Family?".
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by velkyal
I normally respond with something along the lines of "didn't you guys fight a revolutionary war to get rid of the Royal Family?".
The American side of my family was organising an event for everyone to watch the wedding and I was to bring some English food. Then they found out that it's on Friday ;-)
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:52 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by velkyal
Wasn't it so they could keep slavery?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:07 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

they're a bunch of ungrateful knobs.

incidentally, how does one become "more british" surely the accent, the passport and birth certificate is all one needs?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Wasn't it so they could keep slavery?
Something about tea, wasn't it?
Originally Posted by Manc
incidentally, how does one become "more british" surely the accent, the passport and birth certificate is all one needs?
I'm sure we've all met Brits who are hamming it up like crazy over here
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Most of them on BE...
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:44 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Most of them on BE...
Your point being?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:38 am
Sursum corda

Something about tea, wasn't it?

you forgot the stamp thing, a bunch of collectors got all ticked off......