Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Beautiful and natural outdoor places

Beautiful and natural outdoor places

Old May 26th 2009, 8:00 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beautiful and natural outdoor places

I have aspirations to eventually travel to see and explore as much of the USA as possible but particularly beautiful and natural outdoor places.

My husband is a keen fly fisherman and we both equally enjoy hiking, camping, horse riding and exploring wilderness areas. We usually spend our free time in the Gila, New Mexico and recently discovered the delights of the Blue Range Widerness which borders Arizona. We have also been to Durango in Colorado and we plan to hike somewhere near Vallecito Creek this summer. Last year we lived in Gunnison for a few months where we loved being situated so close to the mountains!

I have been to the Grand Canyon as well as Yosemite National Park which were both absolutely stunning. I have also heard that Lake Tahoe is a wonderful place to visit with breathtaking scenery.

I would like to know where in the US you go to explore and enjoy the outdoors, whether it be right on your doorstep or somewhere you travel on holiday....
Old May 26th 2009, 8:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beautiful and natural outdoor places

Lake Tahoe has my Number One Vote!!

Yosemite is second.

Grand Canyon is third.

Rene
Old May 26th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

If you leave Yosemite East over the Tioga Pass it will bring you out at the Eastern Sierras, 'Highway 395'.
Spectacular scenery and good fishing.

http://www.troutwaterreports.com/

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

http://www.totalescape.com/tripez/trips/395.html

Last edited by surly; May 26th 2009 at 8:28 pm.
Old May 26th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Mt Lassen blew my mind, definitely go there.
Old May 26th 2009, 8:38 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Moab, for Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.
Old May 26th 2009, 8:47 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
I would like to know where in the US you go to explore and enjoy the outdoors, whether it be right on your doorstep or somewhere you travel on holiday....
best trip we've done in our (almost) seven years here was NE Arizona last summer: we did Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Navajo National Monument, and a couple of other places. Can't recommend that area highly enough.
Old May 26th 2009, 9:37 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

years ago, I went to the Tetons - Jackson Hole, WY
then we ventured up and through Yellowstone (p!ssing in geysers optional) and then from there we went into Montana and stayed on a ranch...fished the Y'stone River which ran through the ranch. Its was hike but we also went to Glacier Nat Park on the way to Seattle.
Old May 26th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Near us Marin/Sonoma I like that we have such nice countryside and coastline but near to good transport links.
Mount Tamalpais has walking/hiking from very easy and level to quite challenging. You can find trails from the valley floor at Muir Woods all the way to the summit. Some of it has been bolstered by man so maybe not quite 100% natural but very scenic none the less.
And at the top you get terrific bay area views that extend out on the pacific side aswell.
There coast/forest theme continues north.
Also nearby is Point Reyes which I have yet to explore but understand combines the above with wildlife.
Old May 26th 2009, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

I've enjoyed hiking in Sedona, AZ;
Sequoia/Kings Canyon in CA (close to the river Kern also for some white water rafting);
Utah at Zion and Bryce National Parks
There's also quite a lot of short hiking in Southern California.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

just one word ... Alaska

Old May 27th 2009, 1:16 am
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

surly: Thanks for the great links!

Canyonlands National Park is certainly on the wish list, as is Monument Valley and Glacier National Park... so many more as well!

Our friend is working on a ranch in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and says he would love to remain there forever! Hopefully we'll make a summer visit.

Oh.. and Alaska!! We are considering going there for our belated honeymoon Now we have so many places to choose from!
Old May 27th 2009, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EJ3
I have aspirations to eventually travel to see and explore as much of the USA as possible but particularly beautiful and natural outdoor places.

My husband is a keen fly fisherman and we both equally enjoy hiking, camping, horse riding and exploring wilderness areas. We usually spend our free time in the Gila, New Mexico and recently discovered the delights of the Blue Range Widerness which borders Arizona. We have also been to Durango in Colorado and we plan to hike somewhere near Vallecito Creek this summer. Last year we lived in Gunnison for a few months where we loved being situated so close to the mountains!

I have been to the Grand Canyon as well as Yosemite National Park which were both absolutely stunning. I have also heard that Lake Tahoe is a wonderful place to visit with breathtaking scenery.

Beautiful Northern Idaho I am 99 miles from Canada,
47 miles from Montana,And about 20 miles to the Washinton State border.Beautiful landscapes everywhere.
Old May 27th 2009, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Spring in Maine is beautiful and you'll be able to do all the things you want to do.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:04 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3

Runway 4E at JFK.
Old May 28th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Summit County in Colorado is great for skiing/scenery in winter, I've been several times.

I think it's also supposed to be good for hiking etc in the summer:

http://activerain.com/image_store/up...9499463167.JPG

This lake is not far from Breckenridge.

Last edited by Dan725; May 28th 2009 at 4:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.