Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

BBC iplayer version 2

BBC iplayer version 2

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:05 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC iplayer version 2

Hi all

Well I installed 2.3 and then tried a download and had the same problem as before. Then I tried downloading from Internet Explorer and it worked. So it seems a bit flakey as regards to the product you use to access the Internet, rather than the version of iPlayer! Before trying Internet Explorer, I tried Firefox and Chrome, neither worked. Maybe there is a setting in Firefox and Chrome to fix this, but I don't know what it could be....

For anyone that is interested, here is a small review of the latest version of iPlayer.

By default it lists programs very differently from the last version when you pick any sort order but By Series. It shows each program individually, even ones from the same series. Adding a series, so each new episode is automatically downloaded, isn't just a tick box anymore. You have to actually click on the sort order By Series, then select the On/Off slider button against a program to turn the series record on or off.

When sorting programs by series, there is a More button, which goes into the series list. One weird thing I noticed in this list is there is a message telling you of other episodes available, but that isn't just the list of episodes you haven't downloaded - it's all episodes available on the iPlayer. For example, if a series has 3 episodes only and you downloaded those 3 episodes, if they are all still available online, it will display '3 other episodes available'. So it's a bit misleading, first time I read it I thought there were 6 episodes in total, not 3!!

A nice thing is you can sort by expiring soon, but it seems once a program has expired, you have to delete from the list manually.

Anyway, that's just what I noticed so far - some nice new things and some annoying ones too!!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 7:05 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
Hi all

Well I installed 2.3 and then tried a download and had the same problem as before. Then I tried downloading from Internet Explorer and it worked. So it seems a bit flakey as regards to the product you use to access the Internet, rather than the version of iPlayer! Before trying Internet Explorer, I tried Firefox and Chrome, neither worked. Maybe there is a setting in Firefox and Chrome to fix this, but I don't know what it could be....

For anyone that is interested, here is a small review of the latest version of iPlayer.

By default it lists programs very differently from the last version when you pick any sort order but By Series. It shows each program individually, even ones from the same series. Adding a series, so each new episode is automatically downloaded, isn't just a tick box anymore. You have to actually click on the sort order By Series, then select the On/Off slider button against a program to turn the series record on or off.

When sorting programs by series, there is a More button, which goes into the series list. One weird thing I noticed in this list is there is a message telling you of other episodes available, but that isn't just the list of episodes you haven't downloaded - it's all episodes available on the iPlayer. For example, if a series has 3 episodes only and you downloaded those 3 episodes, if they are all still available online, it will display '3 other episodes available'. So it's a bit misleading, first time I read it I thought there were 6 episodes in total, not 3!!

A nice thing is you can sort by expiring soon, but it seems once a program has expired, you have to delete from the list manually.

Anyway, that's just what I noticed so far - some nice new things and some annoying ones too!!
Hey becks_r glad to hear that you got to a working solution eventually. I hadn't tried other browsers as Firefox has always worked for me from the very first. Go figure...

Agree that there is some nice stuff in the new version - sort by series, expiring soon - but also some annoying - how many episodes are there really? - features, but one thing that continues to bug me - unless I've missed it, - is that it still doesn't flag unwatched episodes over stuff already seen and not manually deleted?

As I tend to set up multiple downloads to run during the day, then view late at night, I sometimes 'forget where I was'.

Not a major gripe, just an oversight? It can't be that difficult.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:05 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Hey becks_r glad to hear that you got to a working solution eventually. I hadn't tried other browsers as Firefox has always worked for me from the very first. Go figure...

Agree that there is some nice stuff in the new version - sort by series, expiring soon - but also some annoying - how many episodes are there really? - features, but one thing that continues to bug me - unless I've missed it, - is that it still doesn't flag unwatched episodes over stuff already seen and not manually deleted?

As I tend to set up multiple downloads to run during the day, then view late at night, I sometimes 'forget where I was'.

Not a major gripe, just an oversight? It can't be that difficult.
That bugs me too . What I have seen in this version is there is a pink bar across the bottom of the picture if you have watched the program. But if you click back into the program, maybe by mistake, and click on the play button again - the bar disappears!! So if you only watch a program once, the pink bar shows you have watched it, but it certainly isn't as obvious as a label saying WATCHED
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:20 pm
Back in US & happy!

OK - I got it wrong, although it seemed right at the time. The pink bar only appears if you are part way through watching. So if you watch the program but stop it before it gets right to the end of the video, like before the end of the credits, the pink bar is there. But if the video stops itself, it isn't! So back to no visible clues to whether you have watched an episode or not!
Old Jan 26th 2018, 3:19 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

OK - I got it wrong, although it seemed right at the time. The pink bar only appears if you are part way through watching. So if you watch the program but stop it before it gets right to the end of the video, like before the end of the credits, the pink bar is there. But if the video stops itself, it isn't! So back to no visible clues to whether you have watched an episode or not!
Yes, it's just the progress bar, turning from grey to pink as you view. Although it seems to report elapsed time better than the previous version, it has a mind of it's own when viewing in full-screen mode. Sometimes it will disappear as soon as the cursor is off the screen, other times it just clings on stubbornly.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:49 am
Gloves off

OK - I got it wrong, although it seemed right at the time.
Nope, you had it right, I missed it before. It depends where you are when you 'view' the pink bar. When a download is playing then it's just a progress bar, but it stays 'as was/as is' when in the list view and that 'series' is then expanded by clicking on the 'series' title.

Each window - or the only window if there's only one item/episode - in the expanded list will have a full pink bar, a partial pink bar or no pink bar - you've watched all of it, you've watched some of it, you haven't watched any of it.

Not exactly intuitive...
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 1:40 pm
Gloves off

Just noticed that my installed downloads app has now jumped to V2.5.0.

Haven't had a good look yet, currently doing battle trying to get it running on my new tablet...
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:35 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Just noticed that my installed downloads app has now jumped to V2.5.0.

Haven't had a good look yet, currently doing battle trying to get it running on my new tablet...
Ahh so has mine. I didn't see any difference

Good luck with the tablet - I just have it running on my laptop, haven't tried it on a tablet, actually haven't seen the tablet since we moved house. Like a lot of things, must be in a box!!
Old Feb 10th 2018, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

PBRlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to have the BBC iPlayer, the comfort of still watching Dr Who!
Old Feb 10th 2018, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBRlad
Great to have the BBC iPlayer, the comfort of still watching Dr Who!
Is that the same Dr Who that plays on a loop on BBC America?
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:05 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by markonline1
Is that the same Dr Who that plays on a loop on BBC America?
It is - but of course the iplayer doesn't have the adverts - it seemed to take ages for me to get used to BBC programs divided up with adverts, just so wrong!