BBC in America

Old May 30th 2012, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

smilyjacqui is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBC in America

Does anyone know of a way to get BBC in America besides cable or satellite. The programs on Charter are very limited, mainly to Ramsey and Top Gear. Not that they are not entertaining, but should be taken in small doses.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:07 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC in America

Have you done a search, lots of threads on this. Some people use a VPN for watching live. Others torrent shows. (I do not know what 'on Charter' means)
Old May 30th 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

smilyjacqui is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information. Charter is the local cable TV provider.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Have you done a search, lots of threads on this. Some people use a VPN for watching live. Others torrent shows. (I do not know what 'on Charter' means)
Charter are a crappy cable company.

To the OP, welcome to BE!

But yes, this question has been asked a lot and answered a lot.

Basically it boils down to you either wanting to spend $5-10 a month to watch stuff live on via the tv channel catch up service, or you downloading the shows to watch later, either via torrents or newsgroups.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:31 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Charter are a crappy cable company.

To the OP, welcome to BE!

But yes, this question has been asked a lot and answered a lot.

Basically it boils down to you either wanting to spend $5-10 a month to watch stuff live on via the tv channel catch up service, or you downloading the shows to watch later, either via torrents or newsgroups.
As you mention newsgroups - I have to once again give praise to Sick Beard. Its the best bit of software ever (well working with Sabnzbd and xbmc as a triumvirate) for getting TV
Old May 30th 2012, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
As you mention newsgroups - I have to once again give praise to Sick Beard. Its the best bit of software ever (well working with Sabnzbd and xbmc as a triumvirate) for getting TV
Pretty much my setup of choice at the moment although I prefer Plex to XBMC. It seems to handle the meta-data and media management a bit more smoothly.
I was looking for a good Sabnzd/Sickbeard/XBMC tutorial to link to, but the ones that are around seem pretty dire.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Yes, a whole load of options these days. Other than bit-torrent, it might also be worth mentioning Expat Shield, which is free, and is an ok way of catching the IPlayer on your PC. One new thing if you have a Roku is MummyBox, which has live feeds of BBC1, 2, ITV, Channel 4, Dave. So far, so good, and free.
Old May 31st 2012, 3:27 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodacre
One new thing if you have a Roku is MummyBox, which has live feeds of BBC1, 2, ITV, Channel 4, Dave. So far, so good, and free.
How did I miss that? I have to go look when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks!
Old May 31st 2012, 7:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a whole load of options these days. Other than bit-torrent, it might also be worth mentioning Expat Shield, which is free, and is an ok way of catching the IPlayer on your PC. One new thing if you have a Roku is MummyBox, which has live feeds of BBC1, 2, ITV, Channel 4, Dave. So far, so good, and free.
Also, with a little bit of faff, but Serviio has a online feed database site, which has a link to a GUI program that grabs feeds off of Wiziwig.tv which is great for sports.

It's a bit of a faff because you then need to fiddle around with the stream address it grabs a little before pasting that into Serviio, which can then feed it to your tele as it is a DNLA server. Which is great if you've got a Sony Blu-ray player, WD Media jobby, or PS3 and probably a bunch of other hardware already hooked up to the tele.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:21 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

One new thing if you have a Roku is MummyBox, which has live feeds of BBC1, 2, ITV, Channel 4, Dave. So far, so good, and free.
Got this working. Thanks!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I use Expat Shield and have had no problems with it. I hook up my laptop to my TV and watch it that way.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by SarahG
I use Expat Shield and have had no problems with it. I hook up my laptop to my TV and watch it that way.
Doing the same here. Different VPN service (UKiVPN) but same setup. Any reccomendations on websites / shows? I use iPlayer and 4oD mainly.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 1:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Nutek
Doing the same here. Different VPN service (UKiVPN) but same setup. Any reccomendations on websites / shows? I use iPlayer and 4oD mainly.
http://www.wiziwig.tv/ for sport.

If you're using a VPN and Netflix, can get the UK catalogue too.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.wiziwig.tv/ for sport.

If you're using a VPN and Netflix, can get the UK catalogue too.
Thanks.

Will give the sports a try. Havent gone for Netflix yet as we have Amazon Prime and havent worked thru their free catalog yet.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:49 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.