British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Bay Area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/bay-area-924370/)

Hotscot Apr 22nd 2019 4:54 pm

Bay Area

For those of you are here...

I read this on a CNN report.

'drug-ridden Tenderloin district. '

Is this true?
And the poop, urine, needles around SF.
I do visit SF occasionally and when I walk Market the stench is unbearable.
How do residents rationalize it?
Not enough taxes?

What's Newsom doing about?
It's horrendous.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 22nd 2019 8:47 pm

Re: Bay Area

https://www.sfgate.com/technology/bu...s-13778680.php

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...ad03a321bd.jpg

Hotscot Apr 22nd 2019 10:52 pm

Seems San Francisco is becoming more feces tolerant for those who enjoy that sort of thing.
Might be a tourist attraction.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 23rd 2019 12:47 am

Wonder if all city's with a sizeable homeless problem keep records of feces?

I know San Diego at one point was putting portable toilets out in certain areas and spraying the streets & sidewalks in the bad areas with disinfectant in an attempt to reduce hepatitis C I think it was.

Seattle has a major homeless issue, as does LA, and Vancouver along with San Diego.

jeepster Apr 23rd 2019 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 12674286)

Is this true?
Not enough taxes?

It's horrendous.

That's what happens when the public places doesn't allow people to use the restrooms. I was in SF a couple of years ago and I had to use the bathroom so I stopped at a service station and asked to use the toilet and the guy said no. I felt like peeing right there.
Cali pols can't pass a law requiring the public places keep their toilets open? So Cali gets Hep-C...brilliant.

dc koop Apr 23rd 2019 5:20 am

Seems like it's time for people to club together and rent a skip loader and dump the whole F****** mountain of shit in his front yard

dc koop Apr 23rd 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by jeepster (Post 12674512)
That's what happens when the public places doesn't allow people to use the restrooms. I was in SF a couple of years ago and I had to use the bathroom so I stopped at a service station and asked to use the toilet and the guy said no. I felt like peeing right there.
Cali pols can't pass a law requiring the public places keep their toilets open? So Cali gets Hep-C...brilliant.

The problem with allowing everyone to use a toilet located in a business in that area is that in less than a week the facility would become totally unusable to anyone else not to mention running the risk of being accidently stabbed by an abandoned needle. Lawsuit to follow.

Giantaxe Apr 23rd 2019 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12674483)
Wonder if all city's with a sizeable homeless problem keep records of feces?

I know San Diego at one point was putting portable toilets out in certain areas and spraying the streets & sidewalks in the bad areas with disinfectant in an attempt to reduce hepatitis C I think it was.

Seattle has a major homeless issue, as does LA, and Vancouver along with San Diego.

Apparently San Francisco's numbers include faeces of all types, including dogs. It's a pretty shitty trend though.

Steerpike Apr 27th 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 12674286)

Is this true?
Not enough taxes?

It's horrendous.

It represents a massive failure of local government, in a city that must have a sizable tax revenue from all the high-tech employment going on within its limits.

Having said that, and not to excuse the horrendous situation, I visit SF fairly often and don't encounter much evidence of this; I guess I know where to go. One of my all-time favorite restaurants is out in the 'Avenues' and I never see any homeless in those parts (I lived in that neighborhood for several years also). The people I feel most sorry for are the tourists who accidentally wander into these awful areas. I should also add my sympathy to the business owners who have to operate their small shops (Cafe's, etc) while surrounded by this mess.

The title of your thread is 'Bay Area', though - and as a 35+ year resident of said Bay Area, I can tell you the problem is not evident in most of the Bay Area; it's highly focused in very specific areas - much of downtown SF; downtown San Jose; downtown Oakland; etc. Take a walk up and down University Avenue in Palo Alto, or around downtown Walnut Creek, and you aren't going to see any evidence. I spend most of my time in Walnut Creek, Danville, Alamo, Lafayette, Orinda, and I see virtually zero evidence of it. For What Its Worth.

Hiro11 Apr 29th 2019 2:45 pm

People on the left blame lack of affordable housing and NIMBYism. People on the right blame a city government that's soft on law and order and destructive, enabling social services. I personally blame the reasonable climate and ready availability of drugs. It's probably all of the above.

markonline1 May 5th 2019 6:30 pm

The Tenderloin has always been the armpit of SF. I stayed there with the missus a few years back cause it was cheap. We didn’t have any issues, but every street corner had small gangs lurking looking they were up to no good.

dc koop May 6th 2019 6:22 am

You cant put them in camps where they could get some kind of help and care. It's more democratic to just let them die on the streets. It's possible that many of them prefer the lifestyle anyway.