British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Back to school - don't bring peanuts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/back-school-dont-bring-peanuts-840911/)

Uncle_Bob Aug 14th 2014 12:52 am

Back to school - don't bring peanuts

Both my kids (in different grades, state school) came home with an A4 paper notice with bold large letters titled "PEANUT ALLERGY ALERT".

"We have a student in our class that has a peanut allergy" .... "please don't send in peanut items made at factory or be where peanuts are used" blahblahblah. All in a condescending 16 point font, probably printed on the desperately needed paper donations :sneaky:

Its absolute bollocks. How many kids have allergies to plenty of other things? Can i get the school to send out notices saying don't send your kids to school with my list of health related demands?

My kids will be sent in with their favourite peanut butter sarnies for lunch. Tastes good, high in protein lower in carbs and they do not require refrigeration. :nod:

But how long before "please" becomes "do" followed by prosecution?

Weeze Aug 14th 2014 1:05 am

Re: Back to school - don't bring peanuts

That's been a rule for so long I don't really think about it anymore. From playgroup up to elementary in a variety of schools and countries.

kimilseung Aug 14th 2014 2:09 am

Very common now, so like Weeze I almost expect it. It can be life threatening for those with the allergy. (circa 100 people a year die in the States)

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 14th 2014 2:38 am

Is it contagious?

penguinsix Aug 14th 2014 2:53 am

Our school has banned all nuts in foods.

sir_eccles Aug 14th 2014 3:41 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 11368436)
Our school has banned all nuts in foods.

Yes, our daycare too. I think they just came to the conclusion that it is easier to just declare the school nut free from the start rather than deal with annoying parents.

As an aside, where did they get the A4 sized paper?

kimilseung Aug 14th 2014 3:45 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11368467)

Bloody good question.

Uncle_Bob Aug 14th 2014 4:31 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11368467)

I so glad i ignored your PM invites to get together as a fellow Brit here in Arizona.

:rofl:

penguinsix Aug 14th 2014 6:28 am

I actually found A4 in an Office Depot once. The manager had to help me find it and they blew dust off the ream before handing it over, but it was there.

SmallShinyAnt Aug 14th 2014 6:59 am

Small price to pay for someone's safety. Lets face it, kids are not the most responsable lot.

Lion in Winter Aug 14th 2014 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11368419)
Very common now, so like Weeze I almost expect it. It can be life threatening for those with the allergy. (circa 100 people a year die in the States)

I struggle with this one. Part of me wants to do the no-fuss English thing and laugh at people's "allergies". However a serious real allergy can indeed be life-threatening, as you say, as the child goes into shock and stops breathing. I would not want it to be the sandwich that I made for my child, that the allergic child then gets hold of, that causes the death. I can't face the idea of the death of my own child, and causing one is just about as unthinkable.

Pulaski Aug 14th 2014 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 11368380)
Both my kids (in different grades, state school) came home with an A4 paper notice with bold large letters titled "PEANUT ALLERGY ALERT".

"We have a student in our class that has a peanut allergy" .... "please don't send in peanut items made at factory or be where peanuts are used" blahblahblah. All in a condescending 16 point font, probably printed on the desperately needed paper donations :sneaky:

Its absolute bollocks. How many kids have allergies to plenty of other things? Can i get the school to send out notices saying don't send your kids to school with my list of health related demands?

My kids will be sent in with their favourite peanut butter sarnies for lunch. Tastes good, high in protein lower in carbs and they do not require refrigeration. ....

If you had a child with peanut allergies you would probably think differently. I used to think like you. :unsure:

How do you plan to explain to your children that their sandwich caused one of their classmates to stop breathing and have to be rushed to hospital? :confused: You might also want to brief your lawyer to be prepared for the civil suit from the child's parents. :nod:

Lion in Winter Aug 14th 2014 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11368907)
You might also want to brief your lawyer to be prepared for the civil suite from the child's parents. :nod:

Is that a really polite set of living room furniture, or a luxury hotel room?

SultanOfSwing Aug 14th 2014 2:18 pm

Ham n Cheese. It solves all sandwich related problems :nod:

On a different note, remember chocolate spread sandwiches? A mate of mine used to eat them every single day in primary school. I think we must have used the 'you have shit for lunch' joke well over a million times ...

Nutmegger Aug 14th 2014 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 11368380)

My kids will be sent in with their favourite peanut butter sarnies for lunch.

You have an incredibly irresponsible attitude. How many other allergies are life threatening the way a peanut allergy is? If they were, you would certainly be getting a letter about them, too. Your kids can eat all the peanut butter they want away from school.