Wikiposts

Back to Reality

Old May 2nd 2011, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back to Reality

First full day back to work today after our vacation

I guess someone ordered perfect weather for our UK trip. Sunshine every day we were there, even the 3 days we spent in Edinburgh. It really was a wonderful holiday, being with our son, seeing family and meeting old friends, relaxing and just chilling out in the wonderful weather. I managed to get through the 2 and a half weeks with only having a couple of days being sick and M managed to walk for some distance without stopping, although it was strange when he needed to stop we were either outside a pub or by a bakery!

Of course we can't do anything without a disaster thrown in somewhere, last day at my brothers house and M slipped and fell down the stairs Of course it was his already damaged foot that was hurt and within minutes it wa swollen from heel to toe, with the big toe quickly turning black and blue. We had a sleepless night and had to be up at 4.30 to leave for Heathrow, he hobbled to the car and hobbled at the airport typically refusing help or the use of a wheelchair(men!) The journey home was uncomfortable for him and then we found out Continental had lost one of our bags, which eventually arrived at our house 30 hours later. Thank heavens all the T Bags were safe

Anyway his foot is still sore and his orthopedic doc wants to check the hardware later this week to make sure nothing has moved. Of course he is not staying off of it as advised...I'm saying nothing

So reality has kicked in, I miss my son already, and strangely I am quite disappointed to be back in the US. I'm not sure if it is because the trip was so good and the weather perfect or if it's because I realized, after being with my siblings, that we are all getting older and I'm missing so much in their lives and I'm starting to regret it. Of course moving back is not an option at this time, and may not be even when we retire and even if it was then I'd be leaving my California girl who will never leave here. I'm sure after a week or two I'll settle down again but I really felt I could live back there again and surprisingly M said the same thing......

So I guess the foot needs to heal so we can get the Harley out, ride in the hills and then sigh and think "wow, how beautiful is this thank heavens we live here"...........

Signing off as Confused in Texas
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Reality

Glad to hear you had a good time, SM! Well except for the toe thing (that did look pretty nasty!) I hope you feel more settled soon.
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had a great time! Tell M to take care of himself. Maybe you should take comfort in the fact that home hasn't changed so much that you could never think of going back.
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:27 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
First full day back to work today after our vacation

I guess someone ordered perfect weather for our UK trip. Sunshine every day we were there, even the 3 days we spent in Edinburgh. It really was a wonderful holiday, being with our son, seeing family and meeting old friends, relaxing and just chilling out in the wonderful weather. I managed to get through the 2 and a half weeks with only having a couple of days being sick and M managed to walk for some distance without stopping, although it was strange when he needed to stop we were either outside a pub or by a bakery!

Of course we can't do anything without a disaster thrown in somewhere, last day at my brothers house and M slipped and fell down the stairs Of course it was his already damaged foot that was hurt and within minutes it wa swollen from heel to toe, with the big toe quickly turning black and blue. We had a sleepless night and had to be up at 4.30 to leave for Heathrow, he hobbled to the car and hobbled at the airport typically refusing help or the use of a wheelchair(men!) The journey home was uncomfortable for him and then we found out Continental had lost one of our bags, which eventually arrived at our house 30 hours later. Thank heavens all the T Bags were safe

Anyway his foot is still sore and his orthopedic doc wants to check the hardware later this week to make sure nothing has moved. Of course he is not staying off of it as advised...I'm saying nothing

So reality has kicked in, I miss my son already, and strangely I am quite disappointed to be back in the US. I'm not sure if it is because the trip was so good and the weather perfect or if it's because I realized, after being with my siblings, that we are all getting older and I'm missing so much in their lives and I'm starting to regret it. Of course moving back is not an option at this time, and may not be even when we retire and even if it was then I'd be leaving my California girl who will never leave here. I'm sure after a week or two I'll settle down again but I really felt I could live back there again and surprisingly M said the same thing......

So I guess the foot needs to heal so we can get the Harley out, ride in the hills and then sigh and think "wow, how beautiful is this thank heavens we live here"...........

Signing off as Confused in Texas
You better not have used all the sunshine up, I think summer will be over by the time we go in June.

Glad you had a great trip, it's easy to imagine living back in England sometimes but the Harley would be miserable in all that rain, you just got lucky.

Hope all goes well with both your health issues now you are back.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad you enjoyed your holiday and I'm sure, in a couple of weeks, you'll have settled down again. Sorry to hear about M's fall though, it can't have been a very pleasant trip back on the plane, but he sounds like a typical man and does the opposite of what he's advised, but I wish him a quick recovery.

Keep well and I'm soooooooooo glad that the tea bags turned up, and the chocolate - now not getting that back would have been a disaster
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had a wonderful vacation (apart from the toe incident). Totally understand about feeling unsettled now, I hope it will ease off as you get back into your normal groove.
Old May 4th 2011, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered how you got on, missed this report.

Hope you feel settled back in soon.
Old May 4th 2011, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I wondered how you got on, missed this report.

Hope you feel settled back in soon.
Me too...only just spotted the thread.

Glad you and M had a fab time in the UK...despite M's fall. It's awful being pulled between countries...especially when it means living in a different country to our kids.

Hope M's doctor gives him the .

everything goes well with you.