This is AWFUL

Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:31 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is AWFUL

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Yes it is, looks like i may be up for Google Fiber

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...r-phoenix.html
You know this is the same argument Comcast made? http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/13/54...s-google-fiber
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think that the FCC would take that unfortunate court ruling lying down.

WASHINGTON — The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission will propose new rules to encourage equal access to the web, by pushing Internet providers to keep their pipelines free and open.

The proposal on so-called net neutrality, to be introduced by Tom Wheeler, the chairman of the commission, will prohibit broadband companies from blocking any sites or services from consumers. It will also aim to prevent Internet service providers from charging content companies for access to a faster, express lane on the web.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/bu...rnet.html?_r=0
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:10 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

The FCC is run by a cable lobbyist!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The FCC is run by a cable lobbyist!
Read the article. The new rules will protect net neutrality. If the FCC were on the side of the cable companies they would have just let the ruling be the end of it and not come up with new regulations to satisfy the court decision and it's acceptance that the FCC has the right to establish new rules to protect the net. All the court said was that the current rules gave no authority for their actions. The new rules will.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
.... Google is just sticking to the 3 or 4 cities that they have. .....
Bob, perhaps you'd care to let CNN know that there is no substance to their report this afternoon.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Bob, perhaps you'd care to let CNN know that there is no substance to their report this afternoon.
I mentioned that well before they announced their plans to roll out into new cities.

Which does make sense with the TW/Comcast merger.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 11:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

And so it begins: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/bu...agreement.html

Comcast, the country’s largest cable and broadband provider, and Netflix, the giant television and movie streaming service, announced an agreement Sunday in which Netflix will pay Comcast for faster and more reliable access to Comcast’s subscribers.
Netflix will now essentially have its own on ramp to Comcast customers. That is different from paying to be moved through the pipes more quickly, a deal known as “paid prioritization” that is generally seen as a net-neutrality violation.
So guaranteed access rather than faster access is how I read that. First paragraph is a little misleading.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like those guys who guarantee your house won't burn down if you pay them a bit of cash.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
And so it begins: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/bu...agreement.html

So guaranteed access rather than faster access is how I read that. First paragraph is a little misleading.
Does this not sound a bit like QOS? I'm familiar with QOS from a corporate network perspective - (guaranteed minimum) Quality Of Service. I would not expect anyone to provide QOS service on their network without having to pay for it - they are essentially guaranteeing your traffic a minimum speed throughout their entire network, and to do that, they have to be willing to bump other traffic.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Does this not sound a bit like QOS? I'm familiar with QOS from a corporate network perspective - (guaranteed minimum) Quality Of Service. I would not expect anyone to provide QOS service on their network without having to pay for it - they are essentially guaranteeing your traffic a minimum speed throughout their entire network, and to do that, they have to be willing to bump other traffic.
No QoS on the Internet.... You'd need an admission and policing policy that understood customer need vs available resources. ATM was designed to do exactly this. But IP won. It's a Betamax vs VHS debate again.

There are methods for introducing QoS on IP, but it would require a degree of co-ordination that so far has escaped the industry.

It also points to a central point of control model which some countries just seem opposed to.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's not QoS, it's FoBS.

It's just a way of violating net neutrality without explicitly saying it, they remove a set of routers which supposedly makes it "more reliable" so it's an indirect way of prioritizing the traffic because it gets into their network more directly. There's no direct "preference" per se but as they use 30% of the available bandwidth they obviously get first stab at it as there is one less network layer to plough through.

And I'm sure the Comcast routers are configured in some way to give some sort of indirect preference as well. And you're dealing with Comcast directly too so their engineers are going to help you first.

Like I said above, as a Canadian or any foreigner for that matter, you're clearly going to get shafted as so much traffic goes through the US, it's physically impossible to have such direct access to the infrastructure.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's not QoS, it's FoBS.

It's just a way of violating net neutrality without explicitly saying it, they remove a set of routers which supposedly makes it "more reliable" so it's an indirect way of prioritizing the traffic because it gets into their network more directly. There's no direct "preference" per se but as they use 30% of the available bandwidth they obviously get first stab at it as there is one less network layer to plough through.

And I'm sure the Comcast routers are configured in some way to give some sort of indirect preference as well. And you're dealing with Comcast directly too so their engineers are going to help you first.

Like I said above, as a Canadian or any foreigner for that matter, you're clearly going to get shafted as so much traffic goes through the US, it's physically impossible to have such direct access to the infrastructure.
There is no way that traffic prioritisation is not being implemented at some point within a US ISP. The issue is whether that prioritisation directly impacts on customers.

For example, I assure you that routers within an ISP will be configured to drop less time sensitive packets (like ICMP). Is that violating net neutrality?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
No QoS on the Internet.... You'd need an admission and policing policy that understood customer need vs available resources. ATM was designed to do exactly this. But IP won. It's a Betamax vs VHS debate again.

There are methods for introducing QoS on IP, but it would require a degree of co-ordination that so far has escaped the industry.

It also points to a central point of control model which some countries just seem opposed to.
True End-to-end QOS is impossible but if you know where your bottlenecks are, you can attempt to address them. So if they've determined that the video streaming bottleneck is at their ingress point to the comcast network, paying to have that 'widened' makes some sense.

In my last job, we had to maintain voice quality and we were using a hosted, 3rd party voice provider. We had an internal MPLS network from CenturyLink, that allowed us to control our own internal cross-country network (call center on east coast, data center west coast), but we couldn't control the last bit that touched the hosted voice service. So we did a deal with the voice provider to install a CenturyLink circuit, essentially extending our 'mpls' network into their data center.

Once you get into the nitty gritty of how the internet works - a collection of private carriers - I don't see any way around this type of arrangement. And given that bandwidth really does cost money to the carriers, I just can't see how anyone can achieve this without paying money. A 'freeway' (cars) analogy works for me; if the freeway is under-used, everyone is happy - cars can get on and drive as fast as they like. But once you get congestion, you have to have a way to prioritize. Tolls, express lanes, etc ... This is where I don't quite understand how 'net neutrality' is supposed to work in practical terms, especially when you have one person simply wanting to send/receive emails, and another person wanting to stream a 1 gig movie, both paying for the same 'basic cable' data.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is no way that traffic prioritisation is not being implemented at some point within a US ISP. The issue is whether that prioritisation directly impacts on customers.

For example, I assure you that routers within an ISP will be configured to drop less time sensitive packets (like ICMP). Is that violating net neutrality?
More to the point - I suspect Comcast put QOS on their own hosted voice services - that is, if you subscribe to comcast's 'phone service', I suspect they give you QOS at least from your home to their central servers. A comcast customer-to comcast customer call is probably prioritized end-to-end. I would if I were comcast!
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Or what about UDP? That's a big chunk of internet traffic.

I'm sure the lawyers will argue about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.